PDA

View Full Version : Can't apply updates

hogweed
01-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi – I got my daughter a Storm 9500 as she desperately wanted it, but can’t seem to apply any updates, which it reckons are necessary, from Desktop Manager.

Essentially, the little Apply button at the bottom right doesn't work – you click on it and nothing happens. In fact, it doesn't even “click”, if you know what I mean.

Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks

Dubdub
01-13-2011, 04:07 PM
If she (and you) are new to the BB, I would skip the updates. Get to knwo the BB before you try to fix it. You might even find that it works just fine as it is.

hogweed
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah… as a computer engineer, I'd normally give exactly that advice to yet another baffled customer. But I’ve tried to do several things on the phone, and every time I do, the required option seems to be missing from where I’m told to find it, so I thought this might be a good idea!

I've just this minute twigged it – there wasn't any memory free. God know why, but a reboot seems to have fixed it, which would worry me if it were a computer. But now the Windows 7 Device Manager is saying the device isn’t recognised… sigh…

Dubdub
01-13-2011, 04:29 PM
A battery pull is a BB user's best friend. Fixes most problems. Check the yellow sticky at the top of the Help section for what to do it id doesn't connect to DM.

You can also install BB Swiss Army Knife (BBSAK) as alternative to DM. Use Google to find it. If DM doesn't work, then BBSAK might.

Also check out our FAQ.

Do you have a BB data plan? If not, that could explain why some things don't work.

hogweed
01-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes, the battery has been in and out like a fiddler's elbow. I just can't understand why the Desktop Manager shows Opera as installed, but it doesn't appear anywhere on the phone.

A battery pull is a BB user's best friend. Fixes most problems. Check the yellow sticky at the top of the Help section for what to do it id doesn't connect to DM.

You can also install BB Swiss Army Knife (BBSAK) as alternative to DM. Use Google to find it. If DM doesn't work, then BBSAK might.

Also check out our FAQ.

Do you have a BB data plan? If not, that could explain why some things don't work.