PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav UK

sharkieUK
01-14-2011, 08:58 PM
How do I get Garmin satnav or an equivalent in the UK?
Just received my first Blackberry...the Bold 9780 on Virgin. Love it more than I had hoped BUT ... my previous phone was a fairly poxy Nokia X6 (again on Virgin) which had a brilliant Sat Nav which incidentally came free with the phone. Having no joy getting the same on my Blackberry. Dont mind paying if its good... am I missing something or is this a massive hole in BLackberrys otherwise impressive armoury? Managed to download a Garmin app which located me and gave me an instant list of local amenities and their distance but couldnt show me a map apparently because I wasnt in the U.S. Feels like an elephant in the room to me...getting frustrated/disappointed. Does nobody else in the UK feel the same? Please help.

nb Has anybody downloaded the chargeable Garmin app on the UK? If so can ou confirm if it works. The free trial one clearly didnt work properly so it doesnt fill me with confidence to fork out for the paid version, especially as there appears to be absolutely no support or now ay of contacting anyone if it doesnt work. Yes there is a support button on the site but it doesnt work.

Dubdub
01-14-2011, 09:07 PM
GPS is on the device and free to use. You just need a map program, i.e. GoogleMaps and a BB data plan.

sharkieUK
01-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks, have that and its a great little app but it falls somewhat short of what I am looking for...ie as I drive, in car directions, full auto navigation with verbal cues so that I can easily use it whilst driving.

socketchops
01-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Thanks, have that and its a great little app but it falls somewhat short of what I am looking for...ie as I drive, in car directions, full auto navigation with verbal cues so that I can easily use it whilst driving.

iuse BTSidekick, think I got it from crackberry app store free if not it was in BB Appworld, it does the job really well but to best of my knowledge there's not an app similar to ovimaps free(I was disappointed too but heyho) btw if u drive a vauxhall ur bold fits in the steering wheel! I used to do it b4 updating to the torch ;)
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Dubdub
01-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Not very many of those around for the BB. Check the yellow sticky at the top of the GPS and Maps section. It has reviews for most of the map applications.

However, IMHO, if you are looking for a GPS navigator for driving directions and plan on a lot of use,then you should buy a stand alone GPS device. Advantages are that they are self contained, more features such as voice and auto reroute, do not rely on a cell signal for the map, easily upgradable, and have a much better/bigger screen making it easier to see. Price is generally competitive too.

sharkieUK
01-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback chaps. Personally I would hate to carry two (or more) devices when one can do a great job. And my last phone provided far better directions than my previous stand alone Garmin GPS(although Im sure they have come a long way since I had originally bought it.
Against my better judgement I paid for (£70) and downloaded the GARMIN GPS app. Being one of the rare occassions I Have paid for software it quite simply aint working. It has transpired that it is clearly a Stateside only product despite paying extra for the European option.
Its a little weird in that it partly works providing lots of local info but there are only American maps so the routes always error. Have emailed GARMIN but have heard nothing back. :x No surprise there I suppose.