PDA

View Full Version : Help: 7105t (TMO) vs 8700c (Cing), must decide today

jg70124
01-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I am Sprint Treo user switching to GSM BB so that I can have voice and email when traveling outside the US.

After spending time in my local TMO and Cingular stores and on their web sites, digging through these forums, and trialing the 7105t for a couple days, I am just totally confused.

Here are my questions:
1) On my Treo, I use the excellent Chatter app to read an IMAP account (at Fastmail.fm). Someone told me that BB's don't support IMAP. Is that so? If so, is there an equivalent setup on the BB, such that my BB inbox is always in the same state as my Outlook inbox?

2) I understand from postings on this board that TMO and Cingular have different back ends for their blackberry email services. Is one better than the other for my needs?

3) I'm a heavy user of the web client on the Treo. The web was really, really slow on the 7105t I tested. Was that a problem with the BB browser, the data network, or something else? Also, is it correct that the 7105 is not HTML compliant?

4) I use my Treo as a modem when I'm staying in hotels with no internet access. Can either BB do that?

5) International voice & data: are there any differences in technology or coverage between TMO & Cingular?

6) The one feature I really miss from my Treo is the ability to have over-the-air synchronization of PIM data, which I currently store in Outlook on my laptop. Are there any subscription-based services for the BB that would allow this?

7) Besides a QWERTY key pad, what are the benefits of the 8700 over the 7105?

8 ) To get the 8700, I need Cingular, whose BB plan is about $40 more per month than TMO's. Given that they have roughly equivalent coverage where I live, are the benefits of the 8700 worth the extra cost of the Cingular plan?

Thanks for your help.

Mark Rejhon
01-20-2006, 08:05 PM
1) There's basic IMAP support, but no IMAP synchronization. Try getting BES Hosting service ($15 per month) if you want 100% wireless synchronization between your Outlook and your BlackBerry. It will be Exchange instead of IMAP, but you will have your BlackBerry mirror Outlook in realtime (including Email, Tasks, Notes, Calendar, Addressbook). Doesn't matter which BlackBerry.
2) T-Mobile has a slightly more full featured one, but Cingular will probably eventually catch up. But if you gest BES Hosting service, this is moot. For more info about BES hosting, see my FAQ in my signature.
3) Web is much faster on the 8700 than the 7105
4) Both can be used as a modem. If all else fails, you can use Shark modem from www.mobishark.com (http://www.mobishark.com/) if the builtin modem is too limited.
5) Both use the same quad band GSM technology, however, Tmobile and Cingular has different roaming agreements. However if you unlock the device, you can use a 7105 on Cingular, and an 8700 on T-Mobile. Unlocking may cost extra, though. (Tmobile will carry the 8700 after Cingular's 90 day exclusivity is up on the 8700, but you can get an 8700c or 8700r unlocked for Tmobile if necessary)
6) You can have wireless realtime OTA sync of PIM data -- just get BES hosting. Yes, it's subscription based. It's very convenient. See my FAQ.
7) 8700 has a much faster CPU, and also thus faster web browsing. The 8700 has EDGE, and Cingular has a bigger network than TMobile (But not a superset of TMobile, so TMobile serves certain areas better -- check your reception in your area)
8 ) You can unlock the 8700 and use the 8700 on T-Mobile. Alternatively, wait until March or April for the genuine T-Mobile 8700.