PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help - saving contacts and texting

karenmaloy
01-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi there,

I was just upgraded by ATT to a BB Torch (for free!:smile:) and do not find it intuitive and my computer is down at home so I'm using a friend's to try to make my BB more useful, quickly.

First, for whatever reason, a number of contacts did not transfer to the BB via SIM card exchange so I've borrowed back my old phone and need to input the missing numbers and save them asap.

Second, I also cannot figure out how to text and that was not included in my "quick start" card. Especially since my home computer is down, I would really like to figure out this feature.

I searched the forum a bit but didn't see anything addressing these simply items. If all you want to do is refer me to a place in the forum where I can get easy to follow instructions, please do that.

Please help! Thanks so much!

tsac
01-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Here is the contact transfer method but you really need to read the manual for detailed information on using the BB. If you dont have manual go to http://www.blackberry.com and download one.

You can import phone data from a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card to the contact list on your BlackBerry smartphone.

To import a single contact, complete the following steps:

On the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, open Contacts.
Display the menu and select SIM Phone Book. The SIM phone book is loaded.
Select the contact you want to import, then select Add to Contacts.
In the New Address screen, type any additional information.
To import all contacts, complete the following steps:

On the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, click Contacts.
Display the menu and select SIM Phone Book. The SIM phone book is loaded.
Display the menu and select Copy All To Contacts.
Go back to the contact list and make sure all of the entries are displayed.
Note: Contacts in the contact list can be saved to the SIM card individually. You cannot import data from the contact list to the SIM card.

karenmaloy
01-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you for replying so promptly. My BB did not come with a manual, just a disk that I cannot access right now. Best Buy, where I obtained the BB, transferred the old SIM card info to the BB, but not all numbers copied. Hence, I want to input the missing numbers manually and do not understand how to do that from your reply. Can you clarify how to do this? Again, I'm not finding the BB to be intuitive. Thanks again!

tsac
01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
See if these help.

Torch specific SIM contact transfer info.

Copy contacts from your SIM card to your contact list - User Guide - BlackBerry Torch 9800 Smartphone - 6.0 (http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/18577/Copy_SIM_card_contacts_to_contact_list_60_1094937_11.jsp)

the entire manual

User Guide - BlackBerry Torch 9800 Smartphone - 6.0 (http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/18577/index.jsp?name=User+Guide+-+BlackBerry+Torch+9800+Smartphone98006.0&language=English&userType=1&category=BlackBerry+Smartphones&subCategory=BlackBerry+Torch+9800+Series)

karenmaloy
01-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks, tsac. I am VERY excited to have the manual. (The SIM card tip might be helpful another time, but I want to input new contacts.) THANKS for your persistence and promptness. Karen