PDA

View Full Version : Gmail vs Tmobile BIS and Yahoo

Stinsonddog
01-22-2006, 09:57 AM
I am trying to add a new page to my tips site which deals with the forwarding of gmail and the integration of Yahoo with the new BIS. Here are my questions.

Tmobile/Yahoo users. Do you have complete reconcilation of deletes,moves and folders?

Can this be done with Gmail?
Can the reply to address be changed with Gmail on the BB? My thought is you have to use BB reply to do that.
In terms of simple fowarding, that seems easy to do on Gmail. Either just foward your entire inbox or just forward mail sent To:your address. The second method won't cover cc's or bcc's but it does facilitate saving email sent to FROM the BB as it allows a rule that if you bcc yourself, it won't get sent back to you.

The other rule I have seen says do this:

Matches: from:(yourname@<hidden>) Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry.
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "BLACKBERRY SENT"
One issue with this method is a many people remove the "Sent wirelessly" message. So then what are you left to do to save your email sent from the BB in your gmail folder.

Seems to me the integration with Yahoo and the new BIS might be easier, but I don't have it (only Tmobile has it now), so I am looking for feedback on this.

I may have missed the answers in the many threads I looked at.

jbibbs
01-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (RIM Blackberry 7290: BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I use T-Mobile's BIS and Yahoo Pro E-Mail. I do appear to have complete reconciliation between my handheld and the e-mail servers, although I haven't played around with it to much... I'll mess around with it later on and let you know Is there anything else you'd like to know about BIS & Yahoo?

jbibbs
01-22-2006, 01:08 PM
double post sorry.

Stinsonddog
01-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

What is the benefit of Yahoo Pro? I am not aware of any other email app offering full reconciliation.

gapeach30619
01-22-2006, 08:37 PM
I cannot find the Profile option on my7100; have been searching for hours. Can anyone out there help me?

deezmfnutz
01-23-2006, 06:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

What is the benefit of Yahoo Pro? I am not aware of any other email app offering full reconciliation.

With yahoomail+ or yahoobusiness mail and tmobile you get full email and handheld reconciliation. Although I pushed the gmail solution pretty hard, I had to ditch it and now I use the yahoo/bis integrated package for my yahoo accounts. When you go to delete a message on your handheld a dialog box pops up asking if you want to delete on:

On Mailbox & Handheld
On Handheld Only
Cancel

If I select the Mailbox and Handheld option the message is deleted from my yahoomailbox and handheld, it really works! If I select handheld only the mail is removed from my blackberry but a copy remains in my yahoo account, however, it is no longer marked unread in my yahoo account. Mail sent from you handheld automatically goes into your yahoo sent folder. Plus if you have multiple accounts your sent messages from your handheld offer FULL "FROM:" field spoofing. Also mail is pushed from the yahoo accounts to the handheld, not quite as fast as the gmail forward solution but MUCH faster than POP on the BIS/BWC.

All in all the level of integration with tmobo's BIS and yahoo is the closest thing to BES you can get. If you are a tmobile user and/or a yahoo mail user I recommend trying the new integration it works very well.

PS - The new yahoo webmail beta interface is VERY slick, three paned window like outlook with tabbed browsing and rss support. Now all RIM needs to do is offer wireless syncing between the yahoo contacts/calander/and notes applications...then they will have a real product to compete with MS WinMobile 5.

dkf747
01-23-2006, 11:27 AM
All of the above mentioned benefits work with the free Yahoo mail also. I get mail from the yahoo inbox on my BB. I can mark it open, delete it either on BB only or on both, mark it unread, and use Yahoo to send from the BB.

I also use gmail as well, but mail opened on the BB, or deleted on the BB is not matched on the gmail account. You have to go to gmail once in a while and clean up the account. However, I can use gmail from the BB if desired.

ScottE22
01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
The integration between Yahoo! and BIS with T-Mo sounds like a great solution for those of us without BES. I'm expecting my 7130e from VZW to arrive on Wednesday, but sadly it sounds like this is a T-Mobile-only benefit... Darn!

Edited to Add: Does the integration include your address book, calendar, and notes as well as e-mail?

KonTiki
01-23-2006, 03:15 PM
You can synchronize using intelisynch, thopugh you will never get email synch, without BIS or BES just with the desktop manager. And for email I use gmail and that works for me.

dkf747
01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
The integration between Yahoo! and BIS with T-Mo sounds like a great solution for those of us without BES. I'm expecting my 7130e from VZW to arrive on Wednesday, but sadly it sounds like this is a T-Mobile-only benefit... Darn!

Edited to Add: Does the integration include your address book, calendar, and notes as well as e-mail?

In the free version - no. I have to use the BB address book, notes, and calendar. Those I sync via desktop to Outlook.

roofus
01-24-2006, 02:12 PM
I cannot find the Profile option on my7100; have been searching for hours. Can anyone out there help me?

I think your in the wrong thread and probably on the wrong page. It's on your home screen - looks like a speaker!

shackk
01-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Ok I am a bit lost here. I subscribe to sbcyahoo dsl so I believe I can add the plus option to my email for no charge. How do I know I have the proper email set up and I am assuming from the above this works flawlessly with tmo bis?

I am also assuming that gmail cannot be synced at all using bis, as all of my email is staying on gmail and is "unread" (i am using pop3 on tmo bis for this)

If someone could clarify a bit as it would be great to have full syncing ability and use the bis.

ScottE22
01-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Now, I don't (yet) have a Blackberry in my hand, but I do POP my Gmail using Mail.app on my Powerbook. On the "Settings" page in Gmail, you can set it to "archive" your messages after they've been POP'd. They do NOT continue to show as "Unread" when I do it this way. It's not IMAP, but I can still access all my messages from any computer by logging into Gmail. Plus, it's FREE!

I'm thinking I'll forward rather than POP with my BB when it arrives. (Sometime today -- hurry up, FedEx!)