PDA

View Full Version : Maximum upload/download speeds

bbbl67
02-08-2011, 02:06 PM
I have a BB 9700 Bold. I was testing the data transfer speed of it using an app called "NetWorkSpeed" from the app store. No matter how fast my network connection was, it seemed like the Bold was capped at an average maximum speed of around 250 kbps, both uploads or downloads. This is using either a 3G connection, or my home Wi-Fi. My home Wi-Fi should be able to do 6000 kbps downloads, and 800 kbps uploads; but the Bold never got anywhere near those. Now this is a speed test only done to the device, not to a tethered computer or anything like that. A tethered computer seems to be able to transfer faster through the Bold than the Bold can transfer to itself. Is this a real limitation with the Bold, or is something else going on here?

Dubdub
02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Speed depends on many variables, most outside of your control: the connection, the device processor and memory, your distance to the cell tower, cell tower congestion and a few others.

EDGE should average 50-125 kbps, max 386 kbps
3G should average 400-900 kbps max of 3.1 mbps (EVDO Rev A, 3.6 mbps GSM, 7.1 mbps LTE - maybe)

I have never found a reliable cell phone data speed test, for what its worth. Plus proxy sites can skew the data.

bbbl67
02-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Speed depends on many variables, most outside of your control: the connection, the device processor and memory, your distance to the cell tower, cell tower congestion and a few others.

EDGE should average 50-125 kbps, max 386 kbps
3G should average 400-900 kbps max of 3.1 mbps (EVDO Rev A, 3.6 mbps GSM, 7.1 mbps LTE - maybe)

I have never found a reliable cell phone data speed test, for what its worth. Plus proxy sites can skew the data.

As I said, I'm also getting slow speeds even through Wi-Fi.

BTW, what other network speed tests have you tried?

Dubdub
02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
DSLReports is one that many people use. Comcast used to have one, don't know if they still do.

Google "BB speed test".

Have you done a battery pull recently? What data intensive apps do you have running in the background?

bbbl67
02-17-2011, 01:02 AM
DSLReports is one that many people use. Comcast used to have one, don't know if they still do.

Google "BB speed test".

Have you done a battery pull recently? What data intensive apps do you have running in the background?

I haven't done an actual battery pull, but the phone has been rebooted on a number of occasions. It has not resulted in a difference in the speeds.

Dubdub
02-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Try a battery pull. How much free memory do you have? Have a lot of apps, photos, music, ringtones stored on the device itself?