PDA

View Full Version : Battery life after uninstalling Pandora

ctabone
03-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I recently installed Pandora. Although I liked it, it cut my battery life in half. I now know why Pandora and apps like it drain batteries. Anyway, I deleted Pandora but my battery life remains short!
I can not see the Pandora app anywhere on my phone other than in BB app world under "Uninstalled Apps".

Facts:
11 Month old phone.
Up to installing Pandora I could get 48 hours battery life out of one full charge.
I had Pandora installed for 3 days resulting in less than 24 hours of battery life after full charge.
I uninstalled Pandora but still only get less than 24 hours on a charge.

Is there some type of setting that changed?
What can I do to get my battery life back to the way it was?
Please help!

aiharkness
03-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Couple things up front: First, sounds like you are running your battery down flat or almost flat before recharging. That's a bad idea; especially if you are running the battery down completely. Either trust me or read up on lithium ion battery. And see the article at blackberry.faq on maximizing the life of your battery.

Second, any app that is hitting the network freqently, such as app that streams media content, is going to be a significant drain on the battery, but only when you are using it. Pandora should not have had any effect on your battery after you fully exited it; but only while using it.

So, the likely source of your short battery life now:

1 - You have some other apps that are running (pay attention to those third-party apps that are set to run in the background when closed) and hitting the network repeatedly.

2 - Your battery is failing.

or

3 - Some hardware fault has occurred with the device.

Make sure everything is shut down (except the core BlackBerry apps that are always running and can't be shut down). Do a hard reset, and see what happens.

If you still have trouble, note whether the BlackBerry battery or battery cover is warm to the touch. And note whether there is significant loss of battery charge even when the device is in standby for a short period of time. If so, I would suspect a problem with the BlackBerry, but not necessarily so.

And, if you still have trouble after shutting down all apps, and if you don't suspect a problem with the unit, you might borrow a battery for test, or buy a new battery. If you buy a battery, buy a genuine BlackBerry battery from a reputable source. If you go for an extended battery, buy from a reputable vendor.

Howard S.
03-25-2011, 02:54 PM
In addition to everything Ira mentioned, it's probably worth checking the battery gauge to make sure it's functioning properly as well. This from BB FAQ: "Roughly every 30 charges, deliberately discharge your battery to 10-15%, and fully charge to 100% afterwards. This will help maintain the accuracy of the "fuel gauge" on the device (your battery meter or scale). It has nothing to do with the battery memory (as mentioned, Li-ion batteries do not have memory) but helps maintain the accuracy of the device's percentage of battery charge left."

ctabone
03-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Ira and Howard,

thank you for your input! However the plot thickens. I woke up this morning, reached for my bb and got the message "App Error 523" on my screen. Also the screen was all white.

Do you know what that error message means?

Regards,

aiharkness
03-26-2011, 09:54 AM
What should I do with App Error 523? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_should_I_do_with_App_Error_523%3F)
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

ctabone
03-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks again Ira!