PDA

View Full Version : Which Browser ?

bjh
01-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi there

I'm using Cingular, and I have two browsers on the 8700 - the cingular one and the Internet (Rim?) browser. Why two ? Which one is better, in your opinion ? do any of you use yet another browser ?

Thanks

Brian

(Apologies if this is a common question, but I didn't spot it...)

justin.culp
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
The cingular one is a WAP browser where the blackberry browser is HTML.

RZMedia
01-24-2006, 02:53 PM
The cingular one is a WAP browser where the blackberry browser is HTML.

I am new to this...which is better? WAP or HTML?

tmass
01-24-2006, 03:10 PM
The wap browser is for the "wireless access protocal" sites...kinda mini me sites. They were setup for mobiles and the browser is geared more for them. The other browser is set to run regular sites and does a pretty darn good job too.

Seattle18
01-24-2006, 03:53 PM
To get a visual difference, open the browser labelled "Internet Browser" and go to www.blackberryforums.com, then open the one labelled "Cingular Browser" and go to wap.blackberryforums.com (not www.). You will see that the wap version is just like said above, kind of a mini me version of a browser. Less fancy, more of a meat-and-potatoes thing, usually faster since it doesn't render bunches of images, etc. You'll see.

RZMedia
01-24-2006, 03:58 PM
To get a visual difference, open the browser labelled "Internet Browser" and go to www.blackberryforums.com, then open the one labelled "Cingular Browser" and go to wap.blackberryforums.com (not www.). You will see that the wap version is just like said above, kind of a mini me version of a browser. Less fancy, more of a meat-and-potatoes thing, usually faster since it doesn't render bunches of images, etc. You'll see.

Which do you use the most?

Seattle18
01-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Which do you use the most?
Depends...when just looking around on wap sites (which I rarely do) I use the Cingular one to browse quicker. But I mainly use the full HTML one. It takes a little longer to wait for full images and icons to render, but it is still fast enough for me. I just like having full browsing ability instead of the wap version, I guess. Also, when using the wap browser, you cannot reply to or start threads in here...

WMurray
01-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I haven't been able to start a thread, but I'm posting this reply from the wap browser. To me, it seems as though the html browser handles wap sites just as well, if not better than the cingular browser. I only use it to access the Media.net home page.

bjh
01-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I haven't been able to start a thread, but I'm posting this reply from the wap browser. To me, it seems as though the html browser handles wap sites just as well, if not better than the cingular browser. I only use it to access the Media.net home page.

Thanks guys. So as I understand it, the html browser, in general, is the way to go.

Anyone tried Opera or any third party (non WAP) browser and prefer it to the BB one ?

bjh

rpfeffer
01-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Is there a difference between "internet browser" and "Blackberry Browser"?

Having 3 browsers seems a bit excessive.

cschrage
01-25-2006, 10:42 AM
• WAP Browser: connects to the network by using a WAP gateway
• BlackBerry Browser: connects to the network by using the Mobile Data Service feature of the
BlackBerry Enterprise Server
• Internet Browser: connects to the network by using the BlackBerry Internet Browsing Service

The BlackBerry Internet Browsing Service is a component hosted by the BlackBerry Infrastructure. It
functions similar to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Mobile Data Service—for example, both optimize
web content for wireless browsing, and both transcode content types into appropriate formats for
display on the handheld. However, there are a few notable differences:
• The Internet Browsing Service does not require a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, which is typically
hosted behind a corporate firewall. Therefore, it can be made available to non-corporate clients
through their BlackBerry service providers.
• Because users do not access firewalled corporate intranets with the Internet Browser, the same need
for secure access does not exist. The Internet Browsing Service therefore does not support Triple DES
encryption, and secure sites (HTTPS) are not accessible.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8067/645045/8655/8563/1150346/BlackBerry_Browser_4.0_Feature_and_Technical_Overview?nodeid=745105&vernum=2