PDA

View Full Version : Youtube problem on 9780

opkbv
04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Hello,
I recently bought a BB 9780, it is absolutely brilliant !
Sadly, I do have a problem with the youtube app. It allows me to view videos on youtube only if I'm conected to a WI-FI network, if I use my Vodafone internet (yes, I DO have a contract with them, 100mb/month) it doesn't work: "An error has occurred attempting to play media." appears when I click on a video.
A friend of mine who also has a 9780 (he's on another carrier - Orange), has the same problem.
Does anyone know what the problem is, what should I do ?

Thank you !!

aiharkness
04-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Is your data plan a BlackBerry data plan?

When you are using the mobile network instead of wifi, are you still accessing the mobile youtube address, m.youtube.com?

Have you tried clearing the browser cache, doing a hard reset, and then trying the address again?

opkbv
04-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Is your data plan a BlackBerry data plan?

When you are using the mobile network instead of wifi, are you still accessing the mobile youtube address, m.youtube.com?

Have you tried clearing the browser cache, doing a hard reset, and then trying the address again?

Yes, it's a BB data plan.
Yes, I can still access m.youtube.com.
I just tried clearing the cache, I did a hard reset...but still not working :(

aiharkness
04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
All I can advise is search the forum and read through the threads on trouble with youtube. I've read your problem before, can access on wifi but not the mobile network, and vice versa. Some can't get it either way.

To see if it is streaming video, or just the youtube site, try a video at Comedy Central Mobile Home (http://wap.cclol.com/index.rbml) using the mobile network.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

opkbv
04-03-2011, 05:26 PM
After a quick search on the forum, i found out that many people are dealing with this problem and no one has found a solution so far...

aiharkness
04-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Yep. Many threads.

Does the video at Comedy Central link I posted play for you?

opkbv
04-04-2011, 04:18 AM
I've just tried to play videos on the comedy central link you posted, but unfortunetely i get the same error "An error has occurred attempting to play media."
THIS IS SO ANNOYING !!!!

Drug$toreCowboy
04-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Without the benefit of knowing if your 9780 was obtained from your carrier, I can't tell you what the settings are.

However, if you are using an unlocked version, just take a look in "Options" - "Device" - "Advanced System Settings" - "TCP IP" - and check in the APN settings that your carrier information is in there.

For example, my 9780 is an unlocked Bell unit and my service provider is Fido. So, I changed the APN to "internet.fido.ca" and save the changes made. YouTube works perfectly for me now. Prior to that, I had the same problem you have.

Give this a try and let us know if this did the trick for you.

opkbv
04-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Without the benefit of knowing if your 9780 was obtained from your carrier, I can't tell you what the settings are.

However, if you are using an unlocked version, just take a look in "Options" - "Device" - "Advanced System Settings" - "TCP IP" - and check in the APN settings that your carrier information is in there.

For example, my 9780 is an unlocked Bell unit and my service provider is Fido. So, I changed the APN to "internet.fido.ca" and save the changes made. YouTube works perfectly for me now. Prior to that, I had the same problem you have.

Give this a try and let us know if this did the trick for you.

I can assure you that my 9780 whas obtained from my carrier, Vodafone. My BIS is also provided by Vodafone.

I took a look in the APN settings....surprise, I have NO settings there! There's blank everywhere..No APN, no user name for APN, no password for APN.. Any ideas ?

freakinvibe
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Just go here:

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vodafone+apn+settings)

opkbv
04-04-2011, 08:42 AM
I've typed internet.vodafone.ro in the APN, but youtube is still not working...everything is working fine on my 9780 (mail,facebook, browser in general, etc), except for the youtube (and all streaming websites, i guess)

opkbv
04-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Another problem discovered: my MMS is not working, a red X appears when I try to send a picture.
Can't stand it anymore..

freakinvibe
04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
I guess time to call the carrier: If they promise MMS, they should let you know how to configure your phone to be able to send and receive MMS.

aiharkness
04-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Should not need the carrier APN if using the native BlackBerry browser. If using a third-party browser, yes, but then you would have hit a wall with browser before even getting to youtube.

You typically need a BlackBerry data plan for MMS, I understand. Agree that call to carrier is the thing to do. And mention the streaming video problem after the MMS problem is dealt with.

daudbros
04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Any luck I am having similar issues I am located here in Dubai UAE and the carrier is Etasilat I hope some one finds a solution