PDA

View Full Version : OEM case

PacketRat
01-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Anyone else notice the 8700 slipping out of the case? I have had mine almost 2 months (lost track) and now if I turn the case upside down the 8700 just falls out. I tried the same thing with my 6280 and 7290 and neither one of them slip out of the case unless you force it.

PacketRat

lgreenberg
01-24-2006, 08:15 PM
As much as I like the slimness of the OEM holster I never trusted it for safety.

I'd suggest looking through some of the threads on aftermarket pouch style cases.

PacketRat
01-25-2006, 07:09 AM
If there is an issue with the standard holster then RIM needs to fix it. I am not going to be buying an after market holster for each blackberry I give out to my users. I just need to know if anyone else is seeing the same problem before I bring it up to my rep.

Thanks
PacketRat

Wiseass
01-25-2006, 08:23 AM
I've always attributed mine falling/popping out of the case to my own movement and environment (frequently I'm in a warehouse and knocking against a box or something will be enough).

But then again, I've had a 6280, 7290, 7100 and 8700, ALL of them have fallen/popped out of their cases, even the 7100 with it's fabric holster.

I guess it depends on the environment.

But then again, I'm a poster child for destroying things, if it can be folded, spindled or mutilated, I'll probably do it.

I should get some pics of my 8700, it looks more like a dog toy then anything, but hey, still no scratches on the screen or dust!

MegaBit
01-25-2006, 10:03 AM
If there is an issue with the standard holster then RIM needs to fix it. I am not going to be buying an after market holster for each blackberry I give out to my users. I just need to know if anyone else is seeing the same problem before I bring it up to my rep.

Thanks
PacketRat

Mine was tight at first, but after about 1 month got pretty loose. The little tabs on the case and the catch points on the 8700 unit looked to be worn and rounded.

When I received a replacement, it again fits tight in the new case but I suspect it will get loose after some time. I am waiting for the OEM leather cases (pouch and holster).

jjessen
01-25-2006, 10:38 AM
I've always attributed mine falling/popping out of the case to my own movement and environment (frequently I'm in a warehouse and knocking against a box or something will be enough).

That is exactly how mine popped out last week. Luckily it wasn't damaged. I've ordered the hard case that someone posted a link about on this board. I'll have it in about a week. (coming from Hong Kong) I'll check it out and see if it affects reception and post what I find out.

PacketRat
01-26-2006, 06:04 AM
I found the issue. We are in the middle of testing 3 8700's and found that on 2 of them the small tabs that lock the device in have cracked which causes the tab to not hold the device in place.

johnfromphilly
01-26-2006, 09:10 AM
My one tab broke off of my OEM holder last Thursday morning as I was walking out of the house to take the family to Disney World for 4 days. Not good timing, I had to buy a case @<hidden> the airport that worked but was 45 bucks and not a great fit. At least it has a magnet in a good enough spot to put it to sleep.

I am sticking with this case till new/better options become available- either from RIM or elsewhere- I have yet to see one I like.

Not happy that the tabs broke that quickly! (n)

JP

Inphektion
01-26-2006, 09:16 AM
I found the issue. We are in the middle of testing 3 8700's and found that on 2 of them the small tabs that lock the device in have cracked which causes the tab to not hold the device in place.

yea unless those tabs have cracked or broken off normal wear and tear will not cause your blackberry to fall out of the case when held upside down.

lgreenberg
01-26-2006, 09:29 AM
My one tab broke off of my OEM holder last Thursday morning as I was walking out of the house to take the family to Disney World for 4 days. Not good timing, I had to buy a case @<hidden> the airport that worked but was 45 bucks and not a great fit. At least it has a magnet in a good enough spot to put it to sleep.

I am sticking with this case till new/better options become available- either from RIM or elsewhere- I have yet to see one I like.

Not happy that the tabs broke that quickly! (n)

JP

Can we see some pictures of the case?

johnfromphilly
01-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Here are some pictures of the case I purchased- I had to buy something and this turned out OK. It is hard to get the 8700 out but on the other hand it was very secure while running around Disney World after the kids.

I will also add some other pics of the broken OEM holder and a pic of info on this case.

johnfromphilly
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Bought @<hidden> Airport Wireless @<hidden> Philadelphia International Airport- like I said - I was walking out the door to leave when OEM broke. I had to buy something and I consider myself lucky to have found this.

Oh- also a pic of spot where old clip broke! (n)

lgreenberg
01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Case looks good.

Funny, I know another "John" who's from "Philly" who was also in Disney last week.

Do you live in the Philly area? Where abouts?

johnfromphilly
01-26-2006, 12:33 PM
North of Philly- Newtown/Yardley area.

lgreenberg
01-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Okay, I know it's off-topic but what business are you in?

rcg
01-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Bought @<hidden> Airport Wireless @<hidden> Philadelphia International Airport- like I said - I was walking out the door to leave when OEM broke. I had to buy something and I consider myself lucky to have found this.

Oh- also a pic of spot where old clip broke! (n)

Thats the 7290 hydrofoam case... I have been using 7200 series cases with 8700 just fine... not precise fit but certainly not horrible either.

http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-06939-002.html

johnfromphilly
01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
No interest shown in this-deleted

lgreenberg
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
rcg,

Anyword on when you'll have OEM 8700c leather cases (like the one shown the other thread?)

johnfromphilly
01-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Thats the 7290 hydrofoam case... I have been using 7200 series cases with 8700 just fine... not precise fit but certainly not horrible either.

http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-06939-002.html

I wish that was all I paid for it....ahh convenience purchases....