PDA

View Full Version : Lock Button...

SiJ2000
04-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Why on earth can the lock button not also be the Password Lock button??? Surely just a tick box in the settings could allow this... It's so obvious!!!

I assume that it currently isn't possible for the lock button on the top of the device to masquerade as a Pssword Lock button???

Thoughts welcome!

Anyone who knows someone at RIM should drop a hint!! :)

S

penguin3107
04-11-2011, 07:22 AM
RIM changed the functionality of the lock button somewhere in the middle of the 5.0 releases. The way it is now is done intentionally. Doubtful RIM will change back to the way it was before, which you and many others preferred.

stevew
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
The OP does have a good point though. RIM doesn't seem listen to its audience/clients much. The decision to enhance the OS in some ways, is most always a unilateral decision by groups at RIM, who think they actually know better than most anyone else what we as consumers really want, but in reality, they have very little clue.

penguin3107
04-11-2011, 08:26 AM
I didn't disagree with the OP. ;)

RIM is completely out of touch with the consumer market, and this works against them in many ways. (I'm generalizing here.)
Apple is notorious for dictating the end-user experience and they do it quite well. That method of "deciding for the end-user" has been very successful and I'm sure RIM would love to follow in those footsteps.

anar_baku
04-12-2011, 08:55 AM
That is one of the sorest points for me on the new OS. Surely, if your password lock is enabled, then pressing the lock button should password lock your phone. You shouldn't have to do two operations to lock your phone! RIM - about time you rectified this!

johnling
04-12-2011, 07:58 PM
My lock/unlock button on top of my 9700 with T-Mo OS 6 .448 has the buttons working again. It was set by default when I did the OS install. I was in a panic for about ten seconds because I had forgot that even existed and finally remembered to hit the button to unlock it. I turned it off but I have no clue where I found it in the menus.

I was just messing with this again. It does NOT work when you're plugged into the computer. I have not tried it while plugged into the charger yet. I had to unplug it to get the top left button to lock the keypad.

stevew
04-13-2011, 01:01 PM
It has been working since v5.0...