PDA

View Full Version : synching up wirelessly

YIPPEE1999
01-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi all. Not sure if you'll be able to provide input on my particular situation, but here goes...

I purchased a bb through my company for business email. When I first got the bb, my office IT folks did some kind of configuration... put it on my company's server or whatever... so that now, all emails sent to my office email address also show up on my BB device automatically.

I also use the calendar function on the BB alot.

Without getting into the convoluted details of "why", I decided not to synch up the device each day with the USB cord. I know for a fact that from day one, all the emails auto-synched wirelessly, and continue to do so, without my connecting the BB to my office computer each day. And I could have SWORN the calendar did the same. So I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but the calendar appointments do not seem to be synching anymore. What I'm trying to ascertain then is, DO I in fact need to connect the BB to my office PC in order for the two calendars to synch, or can/should they be able to do so wirelessly? Are only the emails able to auto-synch for some reason, but not calendar appointments?

Although I got my device through my office, the IT department offers no support for BBs. I know if I were to call them they would just stammer, and have no idea how to answer my question. Which is why I am here on this wonderful board!

Thanks!

ScottE22
01-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Are you using Outlook / Exchange in your office? I'm by no means an expert, but I think that's a good place to start.

YIPPEE1999
01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes, the email and calendar are both in outlook. tx.

juwaack68
01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
The wireless calendar function *could* be turned off by the IT group....no idea why, but it's possible.

Is anyone else at your work having the same problem?

YIPPEE1999
01-25-2006, 12:18 PM
i checked with someone else here, and she's not having this problem. is there a way for me to check the wireless calendar function on the device itself (RIM7290)?

tku

Andi
01-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Go into calendar, click the wheel again to get the Menu, scroll down to Options, scroll down to Wireless Synchronization - if it is set to No, click the wheel and choose Change Option and change it to Yes. If the change is not available it may have been disabled by your BES admin.

YIPPEE1999
01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks. I did what you said, and wireless sync already said yes. In any case, I finally went to my IT dept, and they did a "forced" sync by connecting the BB to my laptop. They also said something about how they noticed that calendar items often are prompted to sync, until such time as a new email comes in. I think what they were saying was that it's new EMAILS that really send a signal to the device that it's time to sync, and once that message is received by the BB, then EVERYTHING is synched at once, including any calendar items....