PDA

View Full Version : RogersPetition.com Mission Accomplished (Rogers now has 200MB plan)

Tom
01-25-2006, 10:59 AM
AUG 2006 UPDATE:
Rogers now has a 200MB BlackBerry Plan!

As of August 2006, the petition's mission has now been mostly accomplished. Over 1000 people have signed the petition!

Success:
(1) Rogers no longer uses deceptive advertising to call the 25MB plan 'unlimited'
(2) Rogers now has a 200 megabyte plan for $100 per month.

While Rogers can do better than this, the petition's mission has now been completed. While we are sure the petition may not have had much of an effect on Rogers management, it definitely raised awareness of Roger's BlackBerry pricing plans, which may have ultimately contributed to Rogers' decision making in the very end. More and more people were definitely experiencing data overusages on the Model 8700 Series.

Call ROGERS - 1-888-ROGERS1 and upgrade to the BlackBerry $100 plan for 200MB of data per month. Even while switching, don't forget to make a polite comment that the competition has better plans and to bump the limit to 500MB.

The petition is now live:
www.RogersPetition.com (http://www.rogerspetition.com/)
Rogers BlackBerry customer? Sign there.
Or affected by Rogers data overages in any way? Sign there.
(This includes Rogers customers, Rogers former customers, Rogers potential customers worried about data overages, Rogers stores and resellers affected by customers concerns, etc).I do believe that we need to make a petition to Rogers for the purpose of either increasing the 25mb DATA cap, or providing us with an additional plan that allows more data, or a actual unlimited plan.

The last month, my data charges were as follows:

Data - Data Usage-Monthly Plan = 25,600.00kb $000.00
Data - Other Data = 35,861.44kb $251.03

Thats $250 extra dollars a month!!!!

And lets not start with the month before that, when I was installing programs OTA, that month was significantly worse.

Who else has these problems?

If there is enough of us, I will write up a petition we can all sign, and I will present it to Rogers (through RIM contacts).

Tom

Example quotes from this thread (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=163874).I paid over $1000 total for three months to Rogers for data overusages over a 3-month period (Dec 2004, Jan 2005, Feb 2005)i had a 1700$ bill 200 for voice and 1500 for data in december i almost had a instant heart attack when i saw it..

and yeaa there was data usage on my bill on days i didnt use my BB @<hidden> all.. wtf.. :SSorry to resurrect an old thread and simultaneously open old wounds, but I thought I'd take a moment to vent, and also to check if I might have possibly set a new record.

My Rogers bill for January includes overage charges in excess of $420 CAD.

That's right, my data usage was 87,926KB.My $60 "unlimited" bill always came to around $300 per month. Eventually I just couldn't afford this anymore so I had to give up using the blackberry for the things i had bought it for, ssh and IM. Now all I use it for is email and I'm basically waiting for my term to expire, at which point I'll switch over to another provider.(Edit: New Quotations appended to this message. This is just a small sampling. There are over a hundred people, posting on several different forums over the last few months, of data overage charges on the Rogers Unlimited Data Plan - So go sign the petition at www.RogersPetition.com (http://www.rogerspetition.com/).)

mpovolo
01-25-2006, 11:29 AM
I thought they did have an unlimited plan for $60.

finch
01-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Where as my data charges are not as high as others I've still felt for yrs. the 25MB cap is a filthy way of business, being Robbers and all it's no shock. It's a cash grab and a dirty one at that with a $7 per MB for overage charge. Don't call a $60 unlimited data plan unless it is just that, UNLIMITED...

JessMartin
01-25-2006, 04:28 PM
I will sign it.

Mark Rejhon
01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Count me in.

I paid over $1000 total for three months to Rogers for data overusages over a 3-month period (Dec 2004, Jan 2005, Feb 2005) before I significantly curbed my data usage. I have already tried to petition Rogers, but we can all do it again, since there are probably dozens more users exceeding the 25-meg cap thanks to the Rogers 8700r model.

The Over-25-Megabyte BlackBerry Data Club (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=580161&page=3&pp=27)

And:

Communications With Rogers on $300-per-Month Bills (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=570267&goto=lastpost)
Rogers Market Analysis PDF (http://www.rejtech.com/rogers/RogersMarketAnalysis.pdf)
Modern 2005-era BlackBerries More Likely To Be Used More Heavily [PHOTOS] (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=578340)
The landscape has changed for the worse:

High speed models of BlackBerries are on the market -- EDGE in 8700r -- encourages more data usage.
BlackBerry Browser, by default, now downloads more data (tables, JavaScript, CSS, etc). This means many webpages gobble well over 100 kilobytes. A few minutes of surfing on the bus or train, everyday, easily exceeds 1 or 2 megabytes per day.
Google Maps is now available for BlackBerry at www.google.com/glm (http://www.google.com/glm). Doing fully graphical scrollable Google Maps, gobble a horrendous amount of data. I have used 10% of my monthly cap in just 10 minutes, sometimes!
Some downloadable BlackBerry games are 700 kilobytes now, including Asteroids from mobile.blackberry.net (http://mobile.blackberry.net/). If you download 3 games, you already got an immediate 10% monthly hit.
Treo users can get a 100 megabytes plan. Why can't BlackBerry users get this? Today's multimedia 8700r model can do a lot of the same things Treo can do.
Fido users can roam on Rogers, and get a true unlimited plan without a 25megabyte cap. Why no BlackBerry option on Fido?
BlackBerry is more consumer friendly nowadays than in the past. More individual users nowadays for BlackBerry. It's no longer reasonable for Rogers to take advantage of business users' willingness to pay extra.
Roger's network can handle the extra capacity, since many users won't use more than 25megs, while others will be using more than 25megs.

Is there any grounds for class action lawsuit? This was supposed to be called "Unlimited", but it is not actually unlimited. Plus, the "excessive usage" loophole is moot, it is no longer "excessive usage" to go beyond 25 megabytes, given the changed circumstances today. Rogers is a GSM monopoly in Canada (they own Fido too). So this is an anti-competitive pratice. I believe we have grounds for a lawsuit, no?

mikester
01-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Where do I sign?

JessMartin
01-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Start it up

Stinsonddog
01-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Well I know you can't do that, but if you want me to put something on the Tips site let me know. Is there any other choice?

514HH
01-25-2006, 11:39 PM
I will sign it and re-sign it. I've been extremely frustrated by the 25MB cap and have paid stupid amounts of overage charges to Rogers. Lead the way Guess!

markhutchison
01-25-2006, 11:47 PM
... Is there any other choice?
There are always alternatives. Bell Mobility does not currently enforce a data cap on their $60 Unlimited RIM data plan.

A mass market-shift would be a much more powerful statement than any petition.

Stinsonddog
01-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Maybe a silly idea, and not practical, but here goes. What if you switched to a US Carrier number with Canada roaming plan? Downside is people calling you are calling long distance to the states, so you carry a small cell phone for your incoming calls. I know back to 2 devices, or it's Bell Mobility I guess.

Mark Rejhon
01-26-2006, 03:11 AM
Maybe a silly idea, and not practical, but here goes. What if you switched to a US Carrier number with Canada roaming plan? Downside is people calling you are calling long distance to the states, so you carry a small cell phone for your incoming calls. I know back to 2 devices, or it's Bell Mobility I guess.Already covered. Cingular requires you to be in the USA at least part of the year (6 months, I believe). If they discover you've been permanently using the BlackBerry internationally, they can hit you with big data charges.

There are always alternatives. Bell Mobility does not currently enforce a data cap on their $60 Unlimited RIM data plan.Bell is possible, but as a chat software user, Bell Mobility has some notable disadvantages -- higher power usage for nonstop TCP connections. I can't as easily run chat software for 50 to 100 hours nonstop on a BlackBerry. My old 7280 ran VeriChat for 100 hours nonstop, the Bell Mobility 7250 ran VeriChat for only 8-16 hours nonstop. (This goes with any other chat software that uses continuous connections - nonstop open TCP/IP sockets for faster "push-style" instant messaging). Also, Bell does not have a model equivalent to the 8700 yet. Might as well switch my other Rogers services such as Rogers Cable over to Bell too? ;-)

mpovolo
01-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Now that everyone has me worried on getting the 8700, what exactly do you do that causes you to be over 25M. I am not sure that I will so maybe I should not worry about it. Can someone help me to determine that possibility of being over.

thanks

clyde_turkey
01-26-2006, 08:27 AM
I will sign any petition for this. All Canadian Cell carriers screw you. SAF anyone? Although I heard that there is a class action suit against Bell over the SAF. I hope they lose so that all carriers will refund this outrageous charge.

Anyhow, we need to have thousands and not hundreds on this petition if anyone will pay attention to this.

sabesh
01-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Now that everyone has me worried on getting the 8700, what exactly do you do that causes you to be over 25M. I am not sure that I will so maybe I should not worry about it. Can someone help me to determine that possibility of being over.
Well, if you are a new Blackberry plan subscriber, you can sign-up as I did: There's a 3 month promotion for the CAD $40 plan. It's unlimited without the 25MB cap. I intend to see what my useage pattern will be during this period. I expect the first month's data useage to be sky-high as I'm installing apps OTA, chatting a bit, surfing web pages etc.

However, I only see myself using data for the Free news app updates (3-4 times a day), email and occasional surfing in the long run. If it's exceeds 25MB for these three, I might as well give up BB. If not, I'll bump up to the 25MB / CAD $60 plan. Cheers, Sabesh.

PS> Here's the link for the Bonus page:

http://www.shoprogers.com/business/wireless/plans_services/business_plans.asp?shopperID=3L0FC2GCFXTP8GSVD7EQPR3E7CV32G08&plan=blackberrydata&cat=2&typ=2

Bonus: For a limited time receive 3 months of UNLIMITED e-mail and web browsing when you subscribe to the $40 BlackBerry Data Plan.

stevew
01-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Robbers Wireless...yes...I like that one and that's who they really are. What they do with this unlimited plan..they should be shot for...unlimited means unlimited...not 25MB, especially while Bell M is at 100MB for the same money. Sign me up!! (y)

Mark Rejhon
01-27-2006, 12:07 PM
I just got my Rogers bill for my first full month of cautious and sparing 8700r usage.
Here goes: 31.5 megabytes!

And that's with web browser image downloads permanently turned off. (I browse text-only on the BlackBerry precisely to avoid data overages!)

Rogers calls this "Excessive data usage"?

he1neken
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
I am scared to see my next bill which will reflect almost a months use of Google Local.

mobile_pheen
01-29-2006, 10:42 AM
i had a 1700$ bill 200 for voice and 1500 for data in december i almost had a instant heart attack when i saw it..

and yeaa there was data usage on my bill on days i didnt use my BB @<hidden> all.. wtf.. :S

i posted thsi on another thread... soo id unno if all of u read it or not

SamBerry
01-29-2006, 02:09 PM
The opening screen for Google Local shows "data received." I assume this is cumulative, and doesn't reset every time the unit is powered off, etc.

It shows I have received 5.2 MB of data - that's probably over about three weeks.

JessMartin
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, I will be looking into the heart of the head office about this issue my friends. I am a Deale and a Consultant for rogers. Personally I will not stand Idle while this is going on. Get that Petition rolling and I will hand delever it right to the Head office Exc..

mikester
01-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Tom,
Get it printed up and I will get many signatures from Rogers customers through my vendor.

markhutchison
01-31-2006, 08:09 PM
... Bell does not have a model equivalent to the 8700 yet ...
True ... but you can bet by Christmas we'll have an 87xx running at EvDO speeds ... just as soon as RIM releases the sucker!

Might as well switch my other Rogers services such as Rogers Cable over to Bell too?
I agree, might as well!

When you're tired of paying several hundred monthly for data, send me a private message ... I'll take care of you! 8-)

intricate
02-01-2006, 12:51 PM
One of the points you brought up Mark R was that more regular consumers are using Blackberries now and Rogers can not continue to gouge them the same way they have business users.

Maybe a more creative solution would be to introduce data plans that are similiar to voice plans (i.e. u/l evenings and weekends)...or at least cheaper per MB during off-peak times. Can they break data usage down by the hour? Minute? I know bill currently only shows by the day. I'm sure daytime data usage is exponentially higher than evenings or weekends.

spin-dizzy
02-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Hmm I just posted in Mark's $300 bill thread thinking I might have had a record, but wow - some of you have me beat by a longshot!

I'm game for signing any petition you guys come up with!

Cheers,

spin
Sorry to resurrect an old thread and simultaneously open old wounds, but I thought I'd take a moment to vent, and also to check if I might have possibly set a new record.

My Rogers bill for January includes overage charges in excess of $420 CAD.

That's right, my data usage was 87,926KB.

I accomplished this feat through a combination of the following:

1) Playing with the fun new app called Google Local (duh, should have seen that one coming).
2) Leaving my RSS feed reader running in the background 24/7 after setting the channels to update automatically once every 24 hours (how was I supposed to know that it sits there polling all day anyway??).
3) Reading full articles online that I link to from interesting items I receive in the aforementioned RSS channels.

My worst usage in previous months never exceeded 17MB, so this bill obviously came as a bit of a shock. While I've been pissed off about the 25MB cap on data usage the entire time I've had my BB, this is the first time that I've gotten upset enough to actually do something about it. I can't switch to Bell because I need to use my BB in Europe, but I have now started a daily ritual of calling Rogers to complain. I will continue to call each and every day until one of three things happens:

1) Rogers introduces a truly unlimited data plan (even if it costs more)
2) Rogers introduces a mechanism for monitoring one's daily data usage online
3) Rogers introduces an automated email / SMS that warns the user when he or she has reached some pre-defined percentage (~75%?) of their monthly limit

Today's call was mostly ineffective, in that I have merely been assured that my suggestion will be passed up to the manager. I have no doubt that I will start to receive more interesting (and potentially comical) comments as I continue to place my daily calls. I'll post any particularly interesting ones.

Thanks for listening...

spin-dizzy

angrylogger
02-01-2006, 09:01 PM
AFAIK, Telus has a 50MB cap. Not sure what their policies are with regards to overage.

Bell Mobility is by far the best option for Blackberry in Canada right now. Yes, you need BES for full MDS access....however the $15-25 you'll pay for BES is worth the truly unlimited access you'll get. Bell has removed their 100MB cap....(it's now in the 500MB range).

I signed up with Telus' "unlimited" plan in Dec.. it is currently 50 mb/month with a $10/mb overage and $8/mb US roaming.

I would also love to see a site that lets me know what my usage is plus or minus a day or so just so I can see where I am vis a vis the cap. Does any other carrier do this? It seems a bit silly to impose a cap when I can't monitor my usage... Somewhere internal they must track this info.. it would be great to have access to it. Could this be done via an app on the BB itself with accuracy within a couple megs?

Mark Rejhon
02-01-2006, 11:29 PM
i had a 1700$ bill 200 for voice and 1500 for data in december i almost had a instant heart attack when i saw it..

and yeaa there was data usage on my bill on days i didnt use my BB @<hidden> all.. wtf.. :SDamn! $1700! That's 250 megabytes of data overages, well within the new Bell Mobility soft cap. Very easy to do on a BlackBerry 8700r, I've had one day hitting 7 megabytes myself (which is roughly equal to 1/30th of 250 megabytes -- on a daily usage basis), especially when web browser images were turned on. Bell Mobility now has a 500 megabyte cap (no longer advertised).

If you are using BlackBerry Enterprise Server, then you WILL have data usage on an idling BlackBerry.

Rogers needs to do something about this. You might be able to go to Small Claims court over this -- after all, Rogers claims "Unlimited Data". The data amounts are slowly starting to become worth going to Small Claims court over - why not do it? It may get a few heads turned at Rogers Corporate, and restructure their data policies. Why not save the $1700 and trail blaze a precedent for all of us? It's no longer "excessive data usage" -- it's easy to accidentally exceed 25 megabytes with extremely light usage of BlackBerry, especially with Rogers advertising games, Yahoo Messenger, BlackBerry Messenger, and other goodies. So the "excessive usage" excuse by Rogers no longer applies today, and could get struck down by court.

- Google Search: Canada Small Claims Court (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Canada+Small+Claims+Court&meta=)
- Province Of Ontario - Small Claims Court (http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/scc/)

No lawyer needed, just do lots of homework and enlist this forums' willing volunteer help to solidify your defense. In today's new age of EDGE and Google Maps Mobile and the improved Blackberry Internet Browser, we now have to protect ourselves from being charged for reasonable usage that just happens to exceed 25 megabytes per month.

headtailgrep
02-02-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm up to 25 megs... how? Google local (mostly). It easily consumed 10 megs above and beyond what i normally use..

Rogers needs to increase their silly cap..

BB Boyz
02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I am getting worried about my first BB, an 8700 at that, to arrive. I am also a Rogers subscriber. I also think some group action would make something happen. Show me where to sign.

Fuzion
02-02-2006, 09:24 PM
If you're data usage is really that high, I think some of you might want to consider signing up with one of the American carriers through a friend or even by yourself, and just using a p.o. box and adding the international roaming option. T-Mobile will do credit checks and open accounts using a Canadian SIN. For example on T-Mobile, you can get unlimited data for $39.99 + $19.99 for international roaming. This comes out to around $75 or so CAD which isn't that bad for true unlimited service. The only downside is that your phoneline would have to be on a different phone, so this probably won't work for most people, but might be worth it for some. Another plus is that if you sign up somewhere like new york, the hardware promotions are much better. For example, I signed up with T-Mobile last summer and got a free 7100T and a $100 rebate, so I ended up making money on my blackberry.

carsmovies
02-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm getting another 8700 tomorrow. I've been away for a little while. Please show me where to sign up too.

sprintelguy
02-03-2006, 01:13 AM
If you're data usage is really that high, I think some of you might want to consider signing up with one of the American carriers through a friend or even by yourself, and just using a p.o. box and adding the international roaming option. T-Mobile will do credit checks and open accounts using a Canadian SIN. For example on T-Mobile, you can get unlimited data for $39.99 + $19.99 for international roaming. This comes out to around $75 or so CAD which isn't that bad for true unlimited service. The only downside is that your phoneline would have to be on a different phone, so this probably won't work for most people, but might be worth it for some. Another plus is that if you sign up somewhere like new york, the hardware promotions are much better. For example, I signed up with T-Mobile last summer and got a free 7100T and a $100 rebate, so I ended up making money on my blackberry.

Will you get EDGE service while roaming with a t-mo SIM in Canada?

MrH
02-03-2006, 01:17 AM
I'll definately sign a petition...unlimited means unlimited in my books...not unlimited*

* - subject to a 25 meg cap

I can't wait for number portability to hit Canada in 2007...finally a reason for the big 3 to start being more competitive...

shadowbox
02-03-2006, 07:27 AM
My $60 "unlimited" bill always came to around $300 per month. Eventually I just couldn't afford this anymore so I had to give up using the blackberry for the things i had bought it for, ssh and IM. Now all I use it for is email and I'm basically waiting for my term to expire, at which point I'll switch over to another provider. I have called Rogers many times, hoping to get a deal where i could buy more bandwidth at a more reasonable price, like the treo users, but Rogers just doesn't listen or they don't get it, or maybe the person making this decision is pretty much clueless, to put it mildly. On the upside, I'm just glad I don't get my home internet connection through them. Get this, Rogers will no longer provide newsgroups for their customers. Makes me wonder what hare-brained scheme they'll come up with next.

mobile_pheen
02-04-2006, 05:30 PM
if u think 300$ is bad i got over a grand in data charges in december.. and almost had a severe heart attack...........

and it was un realistic, some days they report i used 18 megs
somedays i used 400kb
and since i work for this blasted company i used my well valued resources to investigate this obsurd bill, ... anyways in summary it took 2 days, severe stress... and i finally got a call from mr.x[ protected for privacy purposes]
and iw as told i recieved a thousand or more in credits... but nor eason was given

BUt realisticly, when a device is edge enabled, and theres so many App's made for this device.. and teh cap is @<hidden> 25mb's Something should be done... or else lawsuits will arise and the media will get a hold of this problem and put rogers in the un-holy spotlight..

has any1 considered a small claims case against RCI??( rogers)

yumif
02-04-2006, 11:08 PM
I spoke to CR at the data dep of Rogers and I told him that is a false advertising to use the unlimited words in the 60$ pkg (I thought that I have $60 unlimited )and he said " I agree with you" he cancel all my extra's and gave me Free data for 3 month- "A Real Unlimited Data" so after that 3 month I'll know thatís the unlimited is not really unlimited. I agree that there is a case for SCC .So where do I sign?
Ben

shadowbox
02-05-2006, 06:46 AM
I spoke to CR at the data dep of Rogers and I told him that is a false advertising to use the unlimited words in the 60$ pkg (I thought that I have $60 unlimited )and he said " I agree with you" he cancel all my extra's and gave me Free data for 3 month- "A Real Unlimited Data" so after that 3 month I'll know thatís the unlimited is not really unlimited. I agree that there is a case for SCC .So where do I sign?
Ben

They have been doing this a lot lately, handing out 3 months of real unlimited. Thta's all very well, but it just delays the day when they start raping you with overages. It may also be an indication that they are starting to feel the heat or just that the rogers employees have the common sense and decency that the higher ups who make the decisions at Rogers are lacking.

I have been told many times in the past year or more that Rogers is reworking their fee structure and that the changes will be announced "very soon". All lies of course, my mistake for getting my hopes up.

Regarding a lawsuit, that's a good idea. However the major problem is that Rogers has essentially a monoply in certain areas for certain products and services. They can do what they like with impunity. Appearantly screwing people over is in their nature and also a major part of their business plan, and they can get away with it, i.e. they laugh all the way to the bank regardless, why would they change their methods?

Network/internet/technology folks are usually very cool, well, that used to be true, until the people who call the shots at rogers got in on the act, the bad apple in the barrel. Too bad they didn't stick to selling snake oil and leave us alone.

www.RogersIsNotUnlimited.com

yumif
02-05-2006, 10:34 PM
I heard about the new plans coming out but like you said "its just talks". If nothing will happen soon I'll move on with my 5 accounts (some of them are 18 years old) to another carrier. You can't say Unlimited and then tell me itís limited to 25 that's a total BS and not legal.

mike_187
02-05-2006, 10:53 PM
**** rogers!!

headtailgrep
02-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a 7290 and i went over 25 megs last month, it doesn't take much, google local chews through data..

Rogers will get it eventually, you just have to speak loud to your sales reps.

TwinTurbo
02-06-2006, 03:33 PM
You guys would be better off just buying a U.S. blackberry from Cingular or T-Mobile with an unlimited data plan and paying the roaming charges. I think both have a $19.99 international roaming bolt-on plan now. So it might cost $60-$70 U.S. total with tax.

It's funny that U.S. users roaming on Rogers network are paying less than actual Roger's customers.

carsmovies
02-06-2006, 03:47 PM
You guys would be better off just buying a U.S. blackberry from Cingular or T-Mobile with an unlimited data plan and paying the roaming charges. I think both have a $19.99 international roaming bolt-on plan now. So it might cost $60-$70 U.S. total with tax.

It's funny that U.S. users roaming on Rogers network are paying less than actual Roger's customers.

I suppose that could work but then all your friends would be paying long distance charges to call you. lol.

shadowbox
02-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Mark and many others in here have argued the point, that the 25MB limit is unrealisitc and please let us purchase extra bandwidth at a more reasonable price, very eloquently for well over a year with little success that I am aware of. If the decision makers at Rogers have not gotten it by now, I'm afraid that the complete ignorance they display may well be a permanent condition. The indications are that we are asking people who don't know what a megabyte is to give us more bandwidth.

mikejb
02-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I am still waiting for my first real bill and this thread has gotten me worried already.

Why doesn't someone right out a petition in a meaningful way and email it around. We could probably get a tonne of signatures in no time.

http://www.petitiononline.com/create_petition.html

TwinTurbo
02-07-2006, 11:27 AM
I suppose that could work but then all your friends would be paying long distance charges to call you. lol.

Not if it was a data-only plan. You could just use the device for email/data and have a separate cell phone.

bb419
02-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Thats just scary, I am with Bell and have been waiting for the 8700 release, last month I hit just over 60mb and no extra charges... Guess for once, Bell is doing something better than Rogers.

lindmar
02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Just got an 8700r today and am reading this after

few questions
1) how can I monitor data usage?
2) should the edge/wireless network be left on at all times?

shadowbox
02-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Just got an 8700r today and am reading this after

few questions
1) how can I monitor data usage?
2) should the edge/wireless network be left on at all times?

Hi lindmar, welcome to the forum;
I am not aware of a way to monitor data usage. It'd have to be a provider supplied feature, and Rogers doesn't have that. Maybe somebody out there can confirm this. Email does not use a lot of data, however browsing the net does. Mark Rejhon has written extensively on data usage in here. If you have the $40 plan you have 3 months of real unlimited, so go all out. If you have the $25 plan be very very careful for the first month. With the 8700 it is very easy to use up 0.5MB in a short time. The $60 "unlimited" plan gives you more flexibility, but again, it's not hard to exceed 25MB. Call customer service, if necessary a few times, and mention that you are concerned about incurring overages. Many of the customer service people are very cool and, since you are a new customer, one of them may set you up with 3 months of real unlimited. Yeah i leave the radio on my 7290 on all the time. You only rack up data if you are actively browsing the net, or if you have your instant messaging clients running, and of course if you send and receive email, but to a much lesser extent. I hope this helps.

shadowbox
BB 7290

lindmar
02-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for that.

I am on the bigdaddy plan, 90 bucks unlimited, 350 voice ect,....

They also gave me 3 months of true unlimited data and 6 months of unlimited local calling free

On a side note I'm not sur ethey will be able to do this for long and get away with it.
They cant call it unlimited and its not. Telus calls it 25Megs.... I think.

I really think they are going to go down for this one.
Has anyone started that petition yet?

CanuckBB
02-09-2006, 02:56 PM
If you are using BlackBerry Enterprise Server, then you WILL have data usage on an idling BlackBerry.

Care to explain??

My understanding was the reverse. If you are using the Blackberry browser through your corporate BES, you DON't see data charges, as the internet traffic does not go through the Rogers system.

Mark Rejhon
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Telus now has a 250meg BlackBerry plan ($100 per month). But Rogers does not even have the option to allow us to pay a little more to get a 100 or 250 megabyte plan.

I have now created a petition website, it is pending review by other moderators before public posting.

Mark Rejhon
02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
The petition is now live!

Stinsonddog
02-10-2006, 12:50 AM
I will gladly add something to my Tips site if you feel it will help. Please let me know if people want that.

The petition is now live!

Mark Rejhon
02-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Go ahead. Permission is granted to media, blogs, websites, to republish the URL www.RogersPetition.com (http://www.rogerspetition.com/).

If anyone needs to discuss the petition with me or BlackBerryForums privately, send a PM to 'Guess', PM to 'Mark Rejhon', or send an email message to spamfilter[at]marky[dot] (spamfilter@<hidden>)com (replace [at] and [dot] with punctuation as needed).

Please feel free to put it in your forum signature block too. I put it in mine.

Also, I have posted the petition on HowardForums too as well:
www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=844025 (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=844025)
If you are a member there, you can post a comment there to keep the thread active over there, to increase audience coverage for the petition. You might want to mention your BlackBerry data overages there too as well;

triprince
02-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Gee, I just joined the "unlimited" plan last week. There was *nothing* that said anything about additional charges on data. How can they get away with calling it "unlimited"? Is this not a scam? Can we file a class action law suit?

stealthx32
02-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Is Rogers the only BB provider in Canada?

lindmar
02-12-2006, 10:39 AM
All signs point that we could file a class action suit or report rogers for deceptove advertising....

Stinsonddog
02-12-2006, 10:59 AM
If you find someone that has some decent reputation and is willing to take the case on a contingency, then you have something here.

All signs point that we could file a class action suit or report rogers for deceptove advertising....

Mark Rejhon
02-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Is Rogers the only BB provider in Canada?There are others, but Rogers is the only GSM BB provider in Canada. Rogers has a GSM monopoly.

pawn
02-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I think your petition is a great idea and will gladly sign it. There is another route however:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/RapidsCCM/Register.asp?lang=E

Make a complaint to the CRTC. If enough people complain, they may look into it and at least be a PITA for Rogers, which may create more incentive than the petition. I would certainly think there are grounds for intervention given the borderline false advertising and GSM monopoly issues.

While looking into this, I also learned that there is currently no telecom industry ombudsman to deal with issues like this, which is unheard of in any comparable industry (insurance, banking, etc.). Probably why a company like Rogers seemingly has no fear whatsoever wrt issues like this.

jibi
02-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Care to explain??

My understanding was the reverse. If you are using the Blackberry browser through your corporate BES, you DON't see data charges, as the internet traffic does not go through the Rogers system.

Just because you're connecting through your corporate BES does not mean that your wireless traffic is somehow going through a figurative wireless data network run by your company. It still would be using the Rogers wireless network.

Gee, I just joined the "unlimited" plan last week. There was *nothing* that said anything about additional charges on data. How can they get away with calling it "unlimited"? Is this not a scam? Can we file a class action law suit?

Rogers employs the method of 'fine print' ethics, which is not exactly illegal but isn't exactly legal either. I believe there are legal precedents in Canada against companies who use these methods, though.

In my opinion, it all depends on where you sign up. If you are on the phone with a CSR and they tell you that you will be signing up for an 'unlimited' data plan but do not read the fine print to you, then you'd have a case against them. Find out the telecommunications recording laws for your province, city, etc. and record the conversation if its permitted (for example, in my state, we're permitted to record the conversation as long as one person in the conversation is aware that its being recorded, meaning the person doing the recording). As far as website orders, its fairly clear on the webpage:

$90 Unlimited**

** Rogers Wireless reserves the right to limit usage and charge $7 per additional MB for excessive usage over 25 MB of data per month.

Again, I'm not sure on the laws in Canada, but misleading advertising, such as displaying a word to lure someone in and then not offering that product by the very definition of the advertisement, would be illegal in the States. It's not uncommon for large telecommunications companies to offer 'unlimited' services and then define 'unlimited' in their own Draconian wording, though.

Merriam-Webster, the most popular and well-known dictionary in the World, defines 'unlimited' as the following - lacking any controls; not bounded by exceptions. I tend to agree with everyone in the world's (sans Rogers executives) comprehension of the above definition.

pawn
02-12-2006, 03:43 PM
As far as website orders, its fairly clear on the webpage:

Actually, even the web page wording bothers me.

"Rogers Wireless reserves the right to limit usage and charge $7 per additional MB for excessive usage over 25 MB of data per month."

This statement gives the illusion that they don't automatically charge for data usage over 25MB, just when it becomes excessive. I would interpret this as a control to scare off someone being truly excessive, which could get out of control if someone used their BB as a modem (for instance). But for someone that uses, for example, 26MB I would not expect them to charge extra. For someone using 40MB, I would expect a warning letter or phone call. Anything above that and I could accept a discretionary decision to bill extra.

That's how I interpret that wording. However, I spoke to a Rogers rep (who was very helpful and polite, BTW) last week, who stated in no uncertain terms that the extra data charges are automatic for anything over $25MB. Thus, even the fineprint has fineprint.

themacace
02-12-2006, 04:22 PM
why not get t-mobile its $50/us a month for unlimited bb international data.... :)

Mark Rejhon
02-12-2006, 04:59 PM
why not get t-mobile its $50/us a month for unlimited bb international data.... :)There are often catches - if they notice you spend all your time all year long outside the country, they may charge you. One of the carriers with the unlimited international data plans, require you to be in the country 6 months a year. I'm not sure I want to risk this kind of fine print...

mikejb
02-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Awesome. Done and signed!

purephase
02-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Thats just scary, I am with Bell and have been waiting for the 8700 release, last month I hit just over 60mb and no extra charges... Guess for once, Bell is doing something better than Rogers.
A CDMA version of the 8700 is still a long way off. If you're interested in the device, and want to stick with Bell, then you'll have to be content with waiting (while paying much less in data usage).

CanuckBB
02-15-2006, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=jibi]Just because you're connecting through your corporate BES does not mean that your wireless traffic is somehow going through a figurative wireless data network run by your company. It still would be using the Rogers wireless network.

QUOTE]

Yes but does the data usege charge apply to the traffic between the device and the cell tower, or is it the traffic that the carrier has to flow through the carrier's gateway to the internet?

If it's the latter, then the BES is the gateway.

Mark Rejhon
02-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Yes but does the data usege charge apply to the traffic between the device and the cell towerIt depends on the carrier on how they split the data charges.

But for Rogers, and for my bills, any kind of data traffic between the BlackBerry and the celltower, counts towards the 25 megs (Then 7 dollars a megabyte after that). It appears to not matter if the traffic is BES, BIS, APN, email, PIN, WAP, browser. TCP/IP or BES traffic seem to go out of the same bucket, as long as it's being originated from the BlackBerry.

If the SIM card is put into another device that is not a BlackBerry, extra non-BlackBerry data charges is reported to apply (i.e. using the SIM card in a Treo).

xkon
02-17-2006, 01:46 AM
i wasnt bad this month - my data doubled from the 7100 - this month i rang in 31 megs

..and signed!

Dazed
02-21-2006, 02:45 AM
Id love a BB but it would cost me a forture because I know i'd go over the limit and be a$$raped by Rogers :(

Anyone know when we poor souls in canada can change providers AND keep our existing telephone number ? Im seriously thinking of moving to Bell.

Dazed
02-25-2006, 03:34 AM
Actually, I just found this. Looks like from March 2007 we can change providers and keep our number.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/NEWS/RELEASES/2005/r051220.htm

dmoffitt
02-26-2006, 01:55 AM
I signed. I am a US citizen but I travel to ON and BC quite a bit... I feel bad for you guys as it only costs me 19.99 for unlimited international (plus 44.99 for my BB plan) - I just hope my data use in Can. roaming on Rogers does not go over that amt or hit my US bill...

Best of luck ;)

Dazed
02-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Maybe if we all complain....

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/RapidsCCM/Register.asp?lang=E

DanMan
02-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Telus now has a 250meg BlackBerry plan ($100 per month). But Rogers does not even have the option to allow us to pay a little more to get a 100 or 250 megabyte plan.

I have now created a petition website, it is pending review by other moderators before public posting.
I was under the impression that Rogers was the only carrier in Canada that had a cap. Are you saying Telus has one or has pulled a Rogers on us as well?

Treo Dude
02-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I signed. I am a US citizen but I travel to ON and BC quite a bit... I feel bad for you guys as it only costs me 19.99 for unlimited international (plus 44.99 for my BB plan) - I just hope my data use in Can. roaming on Rogers does not go over that amt or hit my US bill...

Best of luck ;)

Who is your provider in the US and do they have international roaming for voice also?

hf1khal
02-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Who is your provider in the US and do they have international roaming for voice also?

These sure look like Cingular pricing. The pricing on Cinuglar is $44.99 unlimited BB in the US with a voice plan plus pay per use while roaming ($49.99 without voice)or $64.99 for unlimited use local nd international with voice ($69.99 without voice).

Treo Dude
03-01-2006, 10:12 AM
These sure look like Cingular pricing. The pricing on Cinuglar is $44.99 unlimited BB in the US with a voice plan plus pay per use while roaming ($49.99 without voice)or $64.99 for unlimited use local nd international with voice ($69.99 without voice).

is the $69.99 from cingular for international included,include web surfing also or is just for email roaming. I like to use verichat and want to make sure i would not be charged for roaming.

hf1khal
03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
It includes the web surfing too as one will be using the BB APN and not the Cingular APN.

Treo Dude
03-02-2006, 02:57 PM
It includes the web surfing too as one will be using the BB APN and not the Cingular APN.

what is APN?? My only concern is I have a cingular north american plan for voice, if i add the BB data with international is that considered changing my plan as they do not have the north american plan anymore for voice and as long as i do not touch it, they will honor it. Does T-mobile have a voice for international with roaming included for Canada?

hf1khal
03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
APN is th access point for the internet. Even though you see a Cingular Browser on the BB it is actualy being acces via the balckberry network. The voice plan is just a voice plan and if you go to the unlimited int' BB plan then teh BB plan that needs to upgraded and not the voice plan. T Mobile does have international roaming but again you will be roaming fees with them too. You are better off with NA plan if you travel to Canada a lot.

Treo Dude
03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
APN is th access point for the internet. Even though you see a Cingular Browser on the BB it is actualy being acces via the balckberry network. The voice plan is just a voice plan and if you go to the unlimited int' BB plan then teh BB plan that needs to upgraded and not the voice plan. T Mobile does have international roaming but again you will be roaming fees with them too. You are better off with NA plan if you travel to Canada a lot.

so now the question is where to get an 8700C cheap without a contract so i can add it to my plan.

hf1khal
03-02-2006, 03:33 PM
so now the question is where to get an 8700C cheap without a contract so i can add it to my plan.

Look at the amazon thread there might be a way that is mentioned over there.

WasJustAboutToBuy8700r
03-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I have been thinking about joining the BB world and had discussed it at length with Rogers and the Rep on the phone told me that the Unlimited now = 100 mb. I asked him several times and he confirmed it each time so y'all might want to call in about this. I spoke to them on Thursday of last week (March 02 2006).

DocGo
03-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, the website does not reflect this 100mb thing yet...maybe they have not yet updated their website?

** Rogers Wireless reserves the right to limit usage and charge $7 per additional MB for excessive usage over 25 MB of data per month.
Offer includes 3 months of unlimited local calling and 3 months of unlimited text messages, excluding premium messages (Roaming, International, MSN Alerts, Contests and Promotions), unlimited picture messages and unlimited video messages if supported by your phone, and is available on 2 or 3-year term only. Unlimited picture and video messaging begins at time of activation.

Mark Rejhon
03-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I just called Rogers. No dice. Still 25 megabytes. That 100 megabyte plan is for the Treo.

However, they did say "We are aware of the situation. Um, we are working on it, we are coming out with new technology by fall we will definitley need more blackberry plans but for now this is the biggest one we have"

Obvoiusly, that refers to the HSDPA / UMTS BlackBerry slated for Q3 -- the BlackBerry model 8707 mentioned in another BlackBerryForums thread in the Rumors area - this model is visible if you view the BlackBerry driver files in a text editor.

KonTiki
03-08-2006, 01:36 PM
I just called Rogers. No dice. Still 25 megabytes. That 100 megabyte plan is for the Treo.

However, they did say "We are aware of the situation. Um, we are working on it, we are coming out with new technology by fall we will definitley need more blackberry plans but for now this is the biggest one we have"

Obvoiusly, that refers to the HSDPA / UMTS BlackBerry slated for Q3 -- the BlackBerry model 8707 mentioned in another BlackBerryForums thread in the Rumors area - this model is visible if you view the BlackBerry driver files in a text editor.

How or better yet why is Rogers going to be getting a second Version of the 8700 series when so many other carriers do not have the first one yet?

Mark Rejhon
03-08-2006, 02:46 PM
How or better yet why is Rogers going to be getting a second Version of the 8700 series when so many other carriers do not have the first one yet?All the carriers will have the 8700 by the time Rogers gets to release the UMTS/HSDPA 8707. That's still 6 months or so from now.

It may not be till Q4 of course, whenever they launch the UMTS network, but they said they did want to launch the network this year.

lindmar
03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
I have been thinking about joining the BB world and had discussed it at length with Rogers and the Rep on the phone told me that the Unlimited now = 100 mb. I asked him several times and he confirmed it each time so y'all might want to call in about this. I spoke to them on Thursday of last week (March 02 2006).

I wish this was true :-(

mekmaier
03-14-2006, 12:21 AM
I am both sad and disgusted with Rogers. This is just the latest insult in an on-going saga with one of our "top" communications companies and I use that term very loosely. I find this totally unconscionable since many of the people signing up for the "unlimited" plan are not tech savvy consumers.

Please start using any means possible to get the word out about this petition on Google and blogs before Rogers leads us deeper down the "disservice industry" trail.

My favourite comment in the petition was number 188. - I'm on the 25MB "unlimited-but-not-REALLY-unlimited-we're-just-kidding" Plan

Thank you for your efforts!

mek

tweebs
03-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I just did a quick calculation, and figured out it would take you 14 mins and 46 secs to use the entire 25MB with CONSTANT usage on an EDGE network. This would probably only be possible if you were using your BB as a modem using Shark modem or something.

Here the math:

(25MB * 1024 MB/KB * 1024 KB/B * 8 Byte/bit) / (236.8 kbps (theorical speed of EDGE network) * 1000kbps/bps)

Does Roges expect us to believe that unlimited should be limited to less then 15 mins of usage per month, lol!

Ryan
First Post!

va2004abc
03-28-2006, 03:18 PM
It appears as if Rogers has removed the Unlimited wording from their website and now state 25MB for the $60 BlackBerry plan.

SilverSurfer95
04-02-2006, 08:58 PM
It appears as if Rogers has removed the Unlimited wording from their website and now state 25MB for the $60 BlackBerry plan.

Sucks to be them

morser
04-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Reply from Rogers support email I sent asking for a higher data plan for the blackberry. I've sent one every week for some time.
Dear MOrser

Thank you for your email to our Online Inquiry Service. We appreciate
the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

In your email you have inquired about our Blackberry plans. We do offer
a plan at $90.00. You may view the details in www.rogers.com under
Plans and Essentials/Blackberry plans.

At Rogers we appreciate your service. Please feel free to contact us
again we we can be of service.

morser
04-05-2006, 07:22 AM
BUT, now it reads $60 for 10mb and $90 for 25mb. Am i reading that right?

stevew
04-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Reply from Rogers support email I sent asking for a higher data plan for the blackberry. I've sent one every week for some time.
Dear MOrser

Thank you for your email to our Online Inquiry Service. We appreciate
the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

In your email you have inquired about our Blackberry plans. We do offer
a plan at $90.00. You may view the details in www.rogers.com (http://www.rogers.com) under
Plans and Essentials/Blackberry plans.

At Rogers we appreciate your service. Please feel free to contact us
again we we can be of service.

After 15 years of Robbers Wireless...switched to Bell Mobilite...got a way better phone plan at 1/2 the price and....500MB data plan for the same price as the Robbers 25MB, we moved 10 phones away from those thieves to Bell...Robbers sucks...using the 7130 now which has some nice things over the 8700 (keyboard on the 8700 sucks)...but no home screen shortcuts...hard to live without, and the 7130 eats batteries due to the 1X network...EVO not faster than EDGE...but I can live with all of this to spend MUCH less money at the end of the day. With 10 BB's here...we save over 20K /yr by being with Bell and the phones were 100% free for switching over. Bye bye Robbers for good!

SilverSurfer95
04-05-2006, 07:54 AM
After 15 years of Robbers Wireless...switched to Bell Mobilite...got a way better phone plan at 1/2 the price and....500MB data plan for the same price as the Robbers 25MB, we moved 10 phones away from those thieves to Bell...Robbers sucks...using the 7130 now which has some nice things over the 8700 (keyboard on the 8700 sucks)...but no home screen shortcuts...hard to live without, and the 7130 eats batteries due to the 1X network...EVO not faster than EDGE...but I can live with all of this to spend MUCH less money at the end of the day. With 10 BB's here...we save over 20K /yr by being with Bell and the phones were 100% free for switching over. Bye bye Robbers for good!
I hear you man, but I had to chose between Robbers Wireless and Smell Mobility. Problem is that if you do any overseas traveling, Smell Mobility is virtually useless. One can only hope that resaon and shear user frustration will force Teddy Rogers to listen.

va2004abc
04-05-2006, 08:40 AM
BUT, now it reads $60 for 10mb and $90 for 25mb. Am i reading that right?

The $90 plan is a combination voice and data plan. The highest data only blackberry plan is still $60.

dtx
04-23-2006, 01:50 PM
I work for Rogers, and i understand everyones frustration with the cap. "Unlimited" should be unlimited. They enforce the cap, so people don't use their Blackberries as modems on their laptops, as we sell the Sony EDGE card for that purpose.
I used 21MB last month, but that was with a 7280, now that i have a 8700, i'm sure i'll go over my limit, faster data, means more data. I think they should keep some kind of cap, but put it at 100MB (like the Treo Data plan). I'd sign a petition, if it didn't threaten my job.

morser
04-23-2006, 02:06 PM
DTX, question.
Why does rogers charge so much? i'm not *****ing, i am looking for a technical reason. is the cost of their data infrastructure really that expensive? what is their goal with the most expensive data prices in the industry? If you don't know can you politely ask? My questions to rogers support go unanswered or i'm giving unacceptable "form" answers.

chirayu
04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Signed, what a whole bunch of crooks. Good luck with your petition.

Regards,
Chirayu Patel

RINGER123
04-30-2006, 01:15 PM
i need help downloading rigntones too 8700 c

i used to be able to upload them with a product called xtunes but not it will not let me save them

anyidea

jcowie
05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I had a 1 hour debate with two levels of managers at rogers today.I'm on the 3 month unlimited plan with my 8700r as their bait and hook promo. My first month was 45mb of data usage which would be cosing me a fortune if it wasn't part of their promo package(which ends next month).I used very little time on the network which now concerns me and will most likely cause me to switch. The "higherups" could honestly care less about this data issue. They know about the Petition and said it's meaningless unless people email or mail in (which I've done twice now- and still no reply). The only reason I choose rogers was for the 8700 model which I feel is now a major mistake. The manager tried to justify that fact that bell and telus offer larger data plans is because the data isn't compressed through their network. He claims it's a 2-1 ratio compression (which I know is false). The strongest way to get through to rogers about this issue to take business elsewhere-otherwise they'll never change their very data/voice packages

I'm afraid we're wasting out time with rogers. I'm now trying to figure out how I can use my 8700 units with another carrier (after paying rogers $200 to exit the 3-year contract of course...) Any suggestions?

J

lindmar
05-05-2006, 08:08 AM
I had a 1 hour debate with two levels of managers at rogers today.I'm on the 3 month unlimited plan with my 8700r as their bait and hook promo. My first month was 45mb of data usage which would be cosing me a fortune if it wasn't part of their promo package(which ends next month).I used very little time on the network which now concerns me and will most likely cause me to switch. The "higherups" could honestly care less about this data issue. They know about the Petition and said it's meaningless unless people email or mail in (which I've done twice now- and still no reply). The only reason I choose rogers was for the 8700 model which I feel is now a major mistake. The manager tried to justify that fact that bell and telus offer larger data plans is because the data isn't compressed through their network. He claims it's a 2-1 ratio compression (which I know is false). The strongest way to get through to rogers about this issue to take business elsewhere-otherwise they'll never change their very data/voice packages

I'm afraid we're wasting out time with rogers. I'm now trying to figure out how I can use my 8700 units with another carrier (after paying rogers $200 to exit the 3-year contract of course...) Any suggestions?

J

please keep me posted as I want to do the same. I got my first overage bill from rogers. Thats all I'm going to say.

lindmar
05-09-2006, 10:43 AM
am I looking in the wrong spot or do we now have a 100 MB plan?

http://www.shoprogers.com/business/wireless/plans_services/business_plans.asp?shopperID=4KK954TVH3SF8G90D37L9PEGCT9906P4&plan=dataservice&cat=2&typ=2

SilverSurfer95
05-09-2006, 10:48 AM
am I looking in the wrong spot or do we now have a 100 MB plan?

http://www.shoprogers.com/business/wireless/plans_services/business_plans.asp?shopperID=4KK954TVH3SF8G90D37L9PEGCT9906P4&plan=dataservice&cat=2&typ=2
Interesting but I think that this refers to an EDGE card (read: PCMCIA type) and not the BB - which is totally contradictory. I believe that the way Rogers (Robbers) functions, they are going through the RIM network but unlike other vendors they chose to screw us on the data cap.

lindmar
05-19-2006, 11:51 AM
can the 8700 be used the with bell plan?

http://www.businessonthego1.com/english/wp_datapricing_blackberry.asp

dcolpitts
05-22-2006, 04:29 PM

Not likely - cdma vs gprs...

dcc

Dazed
05-23-2006, 08:24 PM
switching will suck as you will loose your phone number. Im going to wait till march next year when i can switch over and keep my number.

The good news for me was rogers finally updated their outdated sms text plans. I use sms more than anything else and now get 2500 for about 6$ more than I was paying now for 75 (and gained some extra services as well) :)

ThomasB
06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
We are looking at upgrading to 8700. I know the users will begin going crazy if the high speed actually works.

Is EDGE now active in all areas?

Rogers is ahead with the 8700 but behing Bell and Telus with proper pricing.

jlb
06-16-2006, 12:55 AM
I have found that with the edge on 8700 the 25mb just fly by. I am tempted to go over to the treo platform and buy 100mb for $100. Only $40 more a month and an extra 75 megs of data.

bbplan
06-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Maybe a silly idea, and not practical, but here goes. What if you switched to a US Carrier number with Canada roaming plan? Downside is people calling you are calling long distance to the states, so you carry a small cell phone for your incoming calls. I know back to 2 devices, or it's Bell Mobility I guess.

Ok, Like everyone here I hate Rogers, but there are no alternatives, and I wouldnt want to lose my rogers # or make people pay long distance charges if I went with a US provider. So I think I might have figured a solution, tell me if this would work:

1) Forward my rogers calls to a VOIP provider (like vonage 20$/month, im told they are good, but if there is a less expensive option let me know).
2)Subscribe to a US cell phone provider and forward my calls from VOIP to "T-Mobile" (unlimited data and 1000 minutes for 59.99$, + unlimited continental roaming 4.95$, not bad).

This way, I keep my rogers number (untill we get number portability), people calling me wouldnt pay long distance, I Get all the cool VOIP features, and get UNLIMITED data transfers!

having 3 providers instead of 1 isnt great (total would come close to 110$) but we would get unlimited north american calls, unlimited data transfer, VOIP features, and keep rogers # without the long distance charges..

I dont know if there are any quirks I have yet to uncover, but let me know what you think..

---------
Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

jlb
06-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Spoke to rogers a couple days ago about something to do with billing. Nothing to do with bb. (unlocked device) By the end of the conversation the rep really slipped and admitted that there are new data plans for all devices on the way. He didn't say what they are but they are going to be much better. Didn't say anything about price. And I did NOT ask.

Lex Luthor
06-21-2006, 01:01 AM

Absolutely not. Just like how a Bell phone or data device cannot be used on Rogers.

itai
07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
so you know how to screw rogers on the data plan? simply screw them. I know that with T-mobile USA, you can roam freely and still use your data plan. you only pay roaming if you use the voice feature. so why not keep your regular phone, drop your blackberries with ?? itll only cost $20 a month for unlimited, and will work just fine in canada. or cingular.... not sure about verizon or sprint.

finch
07-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Dare I ask what level support you were speaking with? Tier 1, 2 or 3? If it is level 1 I would take it with a grain of salt, this from the level 1 support that insisted I have to reload my Robbers handheld OS to fix the broken, un-responsive and dead may I add "h" key on my 8700r to fix it...
Spoke to rogers a couple days ago about something to do with billing. Nothing to do with bb. (unlocked device) By the end of the conversation the rep really slipped and admitted that there are new data plans for all devices on the way. He didn't say what they are but they are going to be much better. Didn't say anything about price. And I did NOT ask.

jlb
07-22-2006, 01:49 AM
He was teir 2.

ssoil
07-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I called Rogers this morning and signed up for a $100.00 Blackberry plan that includes 200mb of data which should be enough for most users.

Btoot
07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
what? when did they get that?

jlb
08-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Thats' the new treo plans. Not blackberry plans.

Btoot
08-02-2006, 01:14 AM
nope its for blackberrys, i got it yesterday!

jlb
08-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Cool!! :smile:

jade_nz
08-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Tried it they did not let me sign up over the phone

Golga
08-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Tried it they did not let me sign up over the phone

What, they said you'd have to go to a dealer?? What did they say??

jade_nz
08-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Yer man you have to provide I'd and proof of address! This was just from I guy from varison.

But plans could be bourght for what 35 dollars a month. Just over 400 bucks a year.

I'm for that - I might try phoning but they will need an address for the sim card.

SilverSurfer95
08-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Yer man you have to provide I'd and proof of address! This was just from I guy from varison.

But plans could be bourght for what 35 dollars a month. Just over 400 bucks a year.

I'm for that - I might try phoning but they will need an address for the sim card.

Does anyone understand what this person wrote?

Golga
08-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Does anyone understand what this person wrote?

I'll hazard a guess.

They are from New Zealand (nz in the name?)

They are trying to get a BB on any system other than Vodaphone NZ, hence the Verizon reference.

They like the new rogers data pricing. $400 a year appeals to them. (Although this amount has nothing to do with the current state of the thread)

They need a local address for the sim to be registered on Verizon, Rogers, or whoever they want that isn't Vodaphone.

/big money, no whammies
/STOP

Did I win?

jade_nz
08-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes I am from nz, but currently I am living in canada.

The whole reason for these threads was rogers wireless in canada has very bad pricing plans - 25 mb for $60, my first bill was $700.

The plans in the states are like $35 unlimited. Roughly.

I was wondering if I could get a year plan in the states as bbs are global.

Of course the phone would be long distance but just for internet why not.? legal reasons maybe- I'm not sure.

Also refering to people in the third person may be considered polite in certain european languages - not in english speaking western common wealth countries. It is used as a way of ostricise a 'third party' as in I will talk about them not to them. If on the other hand you were refering to kiwis then that is a RACIAL slur.

I hope I have clarified what I believe to be a good question.

The whole point of bbs is communication and bringing the world closer together by beeing able to communicate easily with one another

MobileRC
08-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Rogers just added a new 100 dollar 200 mb plan for bb's

RIM_Next_Door
08-07-2006, 08:55 AM
I was with Bell. I think it's fare to say, for the most part Bell & Rogers are the same. What one does, the other follows the next day. I was with Bell for over 12 years, never left once. I got tired of using some what "dated" technology, and an over mentality of "you've been with us for 12 years, you won't leave."

I have to admit, I'm definately not pro-Rogers. Mr. Rogers takes enough from me each month for "basic + CNN" tv cable. I do hate to support 'em, but with that said, I have to admit, I enjoy some of the functionality that Rogers/GSM offers. It's nice to have only one number in your address book that works the same way (i.e. "+1 519 xxx - xxxx" and "519 xxx - xxxx"). I also have to admit, altough they are forced to be pleasent, I do feel a bit more appreciated by Rogers. Bell technical support just blames me, my company and my network right off the bat, and isn't concerned with me at all. Rogers tries it's best to diagnose the problem with your device first.

For some other reason, when I land in the USA I get better reception and quicker service on my BB with Rogers (Cingular) then I do with Bell (whoever they use in the USA). For example, when I hoped off the plane in JAX (FL) I got instant service with Rogers last week. A couple of months ago with Bell, I got off in the same place and it was 3 minutes after leaving the airport in the CAR, I got service.

I'm a "loyal-sole." I like to be honest and loyal, but wish Bell was with me. Were nothing more then numbers and addresses that get automatically billed each month!

jlb
08-07-2006, 09:43 PM
I just spent four days in the states (long weekend). I drove down and I almost never noticed it changed networks except for the sms message. They seem to have a very smooth transition to cingular or T-mobile. It's awesome!(y)

castolfo
08-10-2006, 04:17 PM
The average cost per call in customer service is about 18 dollars. I call every day for about 5 days prior to my billing cycle for my updated data usage.

My point is that as long as the customer knows how much data is being used, its up to the customer to regulate it. Now rogers doesn't allow customers to see their data usage so i just keep calling..

5 calls x 18 dollars each = 90.00 each month (cost to rogers just for me)

now lets see - 90.00/user X 30,000 BB users per month = strong motivation to change their billing policies..

btw the number is on your bill..

oh yeah, when i get through i talk to them about their policies for about 15-20 mins (this increases their AHT - average handling time and costs them more money)..

Mark Rejhon
08-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Thread edited to indicate the petition's mission has been accomplished.

AUG 2006 UPDATE:
Rogers now has a 200MB BlackBerry Plan!
As of August 2006, the petition's mission has now been mostly accomplished. Over 1000 people have signed the petition!
Success:
(1) Rogers no longer uses deceptive advertising to call the 25MB plan 'unlimited'
(2) Rogers now has a 200 megabyte plan for $100 per month.
While Rogers can do better than this, the petition's mission has now been completed. While we are sure the petition may not have had much of an effect on Rogers management, it definitely raised awareness of Roger's BlackBerry pricing plans, which may have ultimately contributed to Rogers' decision making in the very end. More and more people were definitely experiencing data overusages on the Model 8700 Series.
Call ROGERS - 1-888-ROGERS1 and upgrade to the BlackBerry $100 plan for 200MB of data per month. Even while switching, don't forget to make a polite comment that the competition has better plans and to bump the limit to 500MB.

SilverSurfer95
08-10-2006, 08:05 PM
The average cost per call in customer service is about 18 dollars. I call every day for about 5 days prior to my billing cycle for my updated data usage.

My point is that as long as the customer knows how much data is being used, its up to the customer to regulate it. Now rogers doesn't allow customers to see their data usage so i just keep calling..

5 calls x 18 dollars each = 90.00 each month (cost to rogers just for me)

now lets see - 90.00/user X 30,000 BB users per month = strong motivation to change their billing policies..

btw the number is on your bill..

oh yeah, when i get through i talk to them about their policies for about 15-20 mins (this increases their AHT - average handling time and costs them more money)..

I love this person! You obviously have some call centre industry experience as have I. One detail I would add though is to call them from your cell phone (611 I believe) to further increase the CPC (Cost per Call). Eventually Robbers Wireless will wake up. Oh how I wish T-Mo were in Canada 8-)

Steve Holditch
08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
They still advertise the 25MB package as unlimited. As seen here (not allowed to post an URL yet) so ....

(Pick the 8700, pick your provice etc, you'll see the $90/month plan advertised as unlimited.)

Lex Luthor
08-17-2006, 04:30 PM
They still advertise the 25MB package as unlimited. As seen here (not allowed to post an URL yet) so ....

(Pick the 8700, pick your provice etc, you'll see the $90/month plan advertised as unlimited.)

if you click the link below it shows the $90 voice and data package as 25MB not unlimited.

Rogers.com-Wireless, Digital Cable, Hi-Speed Internet, Bundles (http://www.shoprogers.com/business/wireless/plans_services/business_plans.asp?shopperID=F2C03XVLVC1P9KBEMV1U2HWHDFX48G53&plan=blackberryvoicenemail&cat=3&typ=2)

Postalrecon
08-23-2006, 03:16 AM
I heard about the new plans coming out but like you said "its just talks". If nothing will happen soon I'll move on with my 5 accounts (some of them are 18 years old) to another carrier. You can't say Unlimited and then tell me itís limited to 25 that's a total BS and not legal.

but it is legal...didnt you sign up for an unlimited plan with a cap in small writing.....if you signed it its legal

Steve Holditch
09-20-2006, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=Nitty]if you click the link below it shows the $90 voice and data package as 25MB not unlimited.

So in some places they advertise the limit as 25 MB, but in others as I stated above, they still advertise as unlimited data other places on their website -
$90/mth Unltd Data and 350 Wkday & Unltd Eve & Wknd Min

mortys11
09-26-2006, 10:22 PM
ok

so we pay 100 bucks CDN for "unlimited" data while down south you can get unlimited data and 1500 anytime fon minutes for $79....

man, we are getting raped !!!!

where is the competition....carriers are in bed with each other....pure scam

there should be an investigation ... collusion/anti trust/monopoly

i would leave rogers in a minute...to go where?????

clyde_turkey
09-27-2006, 05:31 PM
The problem is with silly Canadian regulation....
We live in a country that pretends to be so forward thinking in technology, yet we hamsting the market with useless government bodies that prevent foreign ownership and stagnate competition. The same regulators allowed Fido to be absorbed by Rogers(and Rogers says what monopoly, there's still Bell and Telus). the CRTC and Industry Canada are the people to be petitioning about service providers. CTRC is the body that allows the carriers to charge the insane SAF every month. So you can start complaining to them. Industry Canada is the body that controls RF signals in Canada, thus controlling who the Cellular network providers are. I doubt you will see TMobile or anyone else for that matter try to enter the Canadian market anytime soon, due to the regulatory crap.

You should also know that the CRTC is also the body that makes it illegal to receive sattelite signals from another country, primarily because they don't contain 25% Canadian/French content. Canada is the ONLY country in the WORLD that makes it illegal to receive foreign content!!!!!!!

Sorry to rant of topic there, but really the petition should be going to the governement regulators or the BBB now that rogers has published their limits.

Nickster248
10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
ok

so we pay 100 bucks CDN for "unlimited" data while down south you can get unlimited data and 1500 anytime fon minutes for $79....

man, we are getting raped !!!!

where is the competition....carriers are in bed with each other....pure scam

there should be an investigation ... collusion/anti trust/monopoly

i would leave rogers in a minute...to go where?????
I agree with you 100%. With the $100 unlimited plan, it's just that...a data plan only, and if you want phone minutes, you have to purchase that plan seperately, whereas with the $90 plan, although you are limited to 25MB, at least you get a decent voice plan as well.

the_evil_entity
10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Last February my Rogers bill grew from the standard $115/month to well over $300 due to data over 25MB. I called and escalated to a manager to discuss the misuse of the term "unlimited". The charges were reversed and in turn were given 3 months of real unlimited data, as well as $20 off the next 3 bills.
I took full advantage of my unlimited service by using the bb modem on my laptop. Exceeded 500MB in May!
Although the "win back my business" initiative had to come to an end, it worked. I have chosen to stay with Rogers.
(y)

SilverSurfer95
10-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Rogers.com-Wireless, Digital Cable, Hi-Speed Internet, Bundles (http://www.shoprogers.com/business/wireless/plans_services/business_plans.asp?shopperID=1XMSBDAJNKDB8PFRNXC13SDN76AC25WE&plan=blackberrydata&cat=2&typ=2)

Check it out.

cooperpwc
10-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Just upgraded.

I am going from the 350 minutes, free evenings & weekends, 25MB data and voice bundle for $95, to the eqivalent voice plan - $40 - plus the $100 200MB data plan. So the net increase is $45. Given that I got hit with $54 last month on an 8MB overage, it seems to make sense.

Meanwhile they're giving me 50% off the data plan for the first three months which should ease the pain.

legendkiller
11-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Very Cool... about time.....

LordZog
04-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Need more bandwidth!!! Signed!