PDA

View Full Version : Is my blackberry unlocked?

Wiseass
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
I got mine through the company I work for shortly after their release after Thanksgiving of last year, so it was one of the first off the line. It was a replacement for a 7100g that I had, so it came with no SIM card. I simply took the SIM that was in the 7100g and put it in the blackberry, registered it on the server and it's been working fine since.

I've now been told by our Cingular rep and my Telecommunications department that the device should not be working because the SIM card I have is the blue AT&T Wireless (1/2 white with the SIM card # and 1/2 blue with the AT&T logo) and that it's possible mine is already "unbranded" as they put it. Are unlocked and unbranded two different things? How can I even test/check this? They (my rep and telecomm) insist that I need to move my existing # to a new SIM card and whatnot, which they can do. I'm more of the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" mindset, so if it works, why do they want me to switch so bad?

I was told that these would no longer work in the orange devices. I've seen all sorts of talk on the forums here about blue and orange users, but never took it into consideration and never really paid much attention. I know blue/orange users has something to do with the tethering, and if it won't work or will work better if I swtich, I have no problem doing that, just that I've never had a need/desire to yet.

What gives?

Bennett5000
01-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Unbranded means no logo , unlocked means it will work with any provider. There may be some difference in features. Short and sweet version.

Wiseass
01-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Unbranded means no logo , unlocked means it will work with any provider. There may be some difference in features. Short and sweet version.

well it's got a Cingular logo under the screen, so by your definition it's not "unbranded".

I assume that's what they meant to but I get the idea they're talking about "unlocked".

Which I don't know what the difference would be.

dc/dc
01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Do the following:

Options > Advanced Options > SIM > type in MEPD > if it shows disabled next to network, it is unlocked.

Wiseass
01-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Do the following:

Options > Advanced Options > SIM > type in MEPD > if it shows disabled next to network, it is unlocked.

comes up Active, but Network Subset is disabled.

Just wondering then, what should these normally be for the Orange (I guess OEM sim card that comes with the 8700) sim?