PDA

View Full Version : All of a sudden no EDGE but replaced with GPRS

lgreenberg
01-26-2006, 09:01 PM
The first day I activated my 8700c (back in early December) I had an issue where upon powering on the device I would get a lower case "edge" and eventually the "data connection refused" error message.

After several power cycles my 8700c finally started showing "EDGE" consistently.

That is until tonight. At home, where my device always shows "EDGE" it now says "GPRS."

I can still send and receive e-mail and access the internet so I guess I don't have anything to worry about for now. Other than the speed loss.

I'm just a little confused as to why in the same spot I used to get EDGE I now am getting GPRS. I would think if I couldn't get EDGE I shouldn't get anything, like the entire tower would be down.......

Do I need to call Cingular and find out what's going on? Do the EDGE and GPRS networks operate independently of one another? I guess it would make sense that they do so that a non-EDGE phone can get internet service off the same tower as an EDGE enabled one..........

Is it possible that the EDGE network is simply down in my area for whatever reason and the GPRS networks remains working?

EDIT - I just noticed my device said EDGE again. Then a minute later it went back to saying GPRS. Then it went to EDGE again and now it's back to GPRS.

johnfromphilly
01-26-2006, 10:23 PM
If you do a search on this you will find a few people who had similar issues. I had it go to gsm not gprs. I went so far as to have a new 8700 sent to me after ALOT of customer service phone time. The day b4 the replacement came it went back to normal function and has been OK since.

Some have mentioned it may be a tower issue. Try the search and see if the others have your similar problem.

And by the way...don't think I am telling you "use the search button before posting"- I am not- I am just making you aware of multiple similar (but not exactly the same ) issues that are out there that could help you.

Good Luck,
JP

sabesh
01-26-2006, 11:14 PM
"data connection refused" appears when the carrier is having network problems: I went through this 2 days ago.

Whenever EDGE is not available, the 8700 is supposed to revert to GPRS. So either way I suggest that you call Cingular data network support. Sabesh.

CingularMK
01-27-2006, 02:03 AM
EDGE is a software acceleration to GPRS. "Data Connection refused" can be one of two things, either the network is having issues (IE, RIM/Cingular's recent PIN Deactivation issue) or something is wrong with the billing/account. Either way, it has to do with provisioning. Either your Blackberry Data plan is not active, you havn't called the Terms and Conditions line, or some other issue. Also, Your GPRS could be a SIM card issue, take it out, wipe off the metal contacts, and try again. Also, a ALT+CAP+DEL reset should work. If not, your area is currently a migrating GPRS area with limited EDGE coverage. As I said before, EDGE is only a software accelleration to GPRS. There are FEW but some towers are only GPRS and don't have that accelleration.

Hope this helps. 8-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/neonend/logo_raisingTheBar_promoPage.png

lgreenberg
01-27-2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the replies all.

Yeah, I am familar with the "data connection refused error." That's really not my issue though.

I'm more concerned about why my phone is all of a sudden reading only GPRS in an area it always showed EDGE.

I took out the SIM and reset still no change.

lgreenberg
01-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Well it must be a problem with the tower closest to my home.

I was out this morning and had EDGE everywhere. As soon as I returned home it switched to GPRS.

Inphektion
01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Yea i was just going to say prob a tower issue. Calling cing would be a waste of your time. There are about 2-3 days out of every week that I can't get EDGE at my house only. Something is up with the tower there but nothing I can do about it. And GPRS isn't too bad but sometimes at home I'll even drop to GSM for an hour or two before it'll come back.

sabesh
01-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't know about Cingular, but Rogers is sensitive about Tower issues. No harm calling them. I'm usually pepared with my CellID when I do call them (via an app like "cellprofileswitcher" for WM smartphone or "Netmonitor" for Nokia). Sabesh.