PDA

View Full Version : 7130 roaming problem

kb9liq
01-26-2006, 11:53 PM
I don't think I seen anybody with this problem yet. I live in central IL so I've never had my 7130 in an EVDO area until today. I was in ST. Louis MO today. When I got there my phone said it refused data connection and it was roaming. I called Verizon and the guy I talked with started to look at my account and when he found out I was calling from my 7130 he wanted to call me back on another line. So I had my wifes phone with me an LG VX8000, he never called me back but after I hung up my phone showed EVDO but was still roaming. So I called Verizon back and after more then an hour on the phone with them we still don't know why the roaming indicator was on, maybe a bug in the software. Anybody have this problem????
Here is also something very funny. In checking the phones and service we updated both phone by doing the #228 thing. Before and after this my 7130 show it was hitting the same tower ( one in ST Louis ) and the 8000 was hitting the same tower both before and after doing the update. The only problem was my 8000 showed it was hitting a tower in Springfield IL which is around 100 miles away. He couldn't answer why this was happening. My 8000 was not showing roam.
Hope all that made some since.

dc/dc
01-27-2006, 12:45 AM

No, it did not make SENSE.

acgarcia
01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I don't think I seen anybody with this problem yet. I live in central IL so I've never had my 7130 in an EVDO area until today. I was in ST. Louis MO today. When I got there my phone said it refused data connection and it was roaming. I called Verizon and the guy I talked with started to look at my account and when he found out I was calling from my 7130 he wanted to call me back on another line. So I had my wifes phone with me an LG VX8000, he never called me back but after I hung up my phone showed EVDO but was still roaming. So I called Verizon back and after more then an hour on the phone with them we still don't know why the roaming indicator was on, maybe a bug in the software. Anybody have this problem????
Here is also something very funny. In checking the phones and service we updated both phone by doing the #228 thing. Before and after this my 7130 show it was hitting the same tower ( one in ST Louis ) and the 8000 was hitting the same tower both before and after doing the update. The only problem was my 8000 showed it was hitting a tower in Springfield IL which is around 100 miles away. He couldn't answer why this was happening. My 8000 was not showing roam.

You have America's Choice Plan? If you do, the roaming indicator means nothing, you will not get charged for it. I had the same problem when I went from San Diego to LA. There's something wrong w/ the roaming indicator on some blackberrys. Not a big deal as long as you don't have to pay for it.

kb9liq
01-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes I have that plan, and yes that is what they told me. They also noted my account in case I get charged roaming fees. The one thing another tech told him was that the two phones should have different PRL's but they were the same and we did the update minutes apart. Any ideas on that?

acgarcia
01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Yes I have that plan, and yes that is what they told me. They also noted my account in case I get charged roaming fees. The one thing another tech told him was that the two phones should have different PRL's but they were the same and we did the update minutes apart. Any ideas on that?

If you did a start *228 PRL update on both the phones they should be the same.

kb9liq
01-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't understand what PRL is for sure, but another tech said that the PRL should be different because one is data. But still why would the one phone be showing it was on a tower over 100 miles away? This was with Verizon calling me, and doing it two times. Both time both phones showed the same each time, the 7130 was a local tower and the 8000 was the one over 100 miles away.
The only thing I didn't do yet was a hard reset on the 7130 but then I'm not out of my area so it will be a few weeks before I travel again. We did do a soft reset on the phone while I was in St. Louis.

gdpmumin
01-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Speaking of roaming and the 7130, last week I switched to Verizon from Nextel (BB 7100i) and decided to try a Treo 700w. Long story made short, I'll be switching back to BB as soon as the customer rep can get one delivered to the nearest store. The 7130 doesn't have an antenna (the 7100i does). Has anyone seen any difficulty in reception because of this?

kb9liq
01-27-2006, 07:07 PM
I seem to have very good reception with my 7130, as good as my LG8000 which has an extendable antenna.
Why did you not like the 700W?

gdpmumin
01-27-2006, 07:22 PM
There's a lot I actually do like about the 700w. But, the lack of memory makes it very difficult to be used as a full PDA for power users. I got it thinking I could carry only one device. But it isn't quite ready for that. So, I'm going to switch back to the BB for phone/messaging and stay with my PocketPC for PIM stuff. If the BB had category support for the calendar, I very easily could use that alone and just use the PocketPC for ebooks and such.

brucerads
02-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I have the same problem. The roaming indicator went on after I had Verzon activate the overseas calling capability. I was in San Diego when it started and has stayed on for two days, even though I went home to San Francisco. Tech support has had me do serveral soft reboots and then a hard reboot, wiping all the data off the 7130. Still nothing!http://www.blackberryforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=165018#
Thumbs Down

Now Verizon tells me their "Voice Tech" guys think there is a stuck switch so they are going to try to correct that problem.http://www.blackberryforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=165018#
Embarassed

In addition, I noticed that my 7130 will not completely turn off. It will go through the shut down , screen goes black, keys become non responsive but the green led light remains on. WHen I turn the phone back on, it immediately goes live with no apparent boot up...almost like it is in a stand-by mode. with the LED blinking and Email continuing to download there is no way the power is off. All of the reboots did not correct this either. Verizon says since the phone is still so new, they have not run into this before! Great...CALL RIM THEN!!! :x

End result...take the phone back under the 15 day rule and get a new one!

whsbuss
02-08-2006, 07:55 AM
I have the same problem. The roaming indicator went on after I had Verzon activate the overseas calling capability. I was in San Diego when it started and has stayed on for two days, even though I went home to San Francisco. Tech support has had me do serveral soft reboots and then a hard reboot, wiping all the data off the 7130. Still nothing!http://www.blackberryforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=165018#
Thumbs Down

Now Verizon tells me their "Voice Tech" guys think there is a stuck switch so they are going to try to correct that problem.http://www.blackberryforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=165018#
Embarassed

In addition, I noticed that my 7130 will not completely turn off. It will go through the shut down , screen goes black, keys become non responsive but the green led light remains on. WHen I turn the phone back on, it immediately goes live with no apparent boot up...almost like it is in a stand-by mode. with the LED blinking and Email continuing to download there is no way the power is off. All of the reboots did not correct this either. Verizon says since the phone is still so new, they have not run into this before! Great...CALL RIM THEN!!! :x

End result...take the phone back under the 15 day rule and get a new one!

The green LED (coverage) will blink when auto shutoff is executed. You can disable this in the Options->Screen/Keyboard setting.

acgarcia
02-08-2006, 09:39 AM
The green LED (coverage) will blink when auto shutoff is executed. You can disable this in the Options->Screen/Keyboard setting.

I think the concern about the phone being off is that when he turns it back on he doesn't get like a boot up sequence and it doesn't seem that it was actually turned off. Like when you actually remove the battery and put it back on, it has that loading sequence and then the security verification.

sinnfein07
02-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi - actually seeing both issues described here in this thread with my new 7130e (1st BB, had it 2 days). I'm going to ASSume these behaviors are normal right now unless someone says otherwise...

- Flew to Boston today (Home is Vermont). Phone showed EVDO coverage, but roaming Triangle remained solid ON. 611 gave me Verizon CS who said they don't have a clue (checked plan, PRL, etc...). Data worked fine (emails delivered from BES, etc.) but I'm quite curious what my bill will look like! In case it matters, I use the Insight Icon theme - didn't think of this until I was back home. Hated the look of the OOB Verizon theme.

In LA tomorrow - we'll see if the roaming behavior continues in another market, and I'll try another theme if it does.

- Reading the comments above re: the phone not turning off properly. Mine behaves the same way and I had assume this was normal behavior. Phone turns off OK (screen goes blank) but the green light keeps on blinking. Pressing a key turns the BB "instantly" back on to the password unlock screen. Only way I can find to get it to REALLY turn off is to pull the battery. Annoying, but something I was willing to live with unless there is something wrong with my 7130e.

Thanks!