PDA

View Full Version : BBM Saves Old History Only to a certain size limit?

blackozone
05-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Maybe it just through my model or something but after looking through the media card where my bbm history is saved on, it seems bbm history will only save up to around 147kb before deleting older msgs to make room for new history?

I been looking through some of the history of the contacts I talk to most and it seems I am not able to view all our chat history from the time we first exchanged msgs.

eg. Friend got bbm in jan. we've had many convos up to present. was previously able to view history up to jan, but now it seems due to the frequency of our current chats, I can now only see up to the beginning of april.

rambo47
05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
That should be a function of where you store the chat history. In BBM > Options you will find several options for saving history. Select the memory card for more storage space.

blackozone
05-24-2011, 12:32 PM
That should be a function of where you store the chat history. In BBM > Options you will find several options for saving history. Select the memory card for more storage space.

Im not sure what you mean? My micro-sd is the thing that's limiting my bbm history size? My memory card(micro-sd I presume) is the one that's selected. Its 1gb with about 100mb space left.

rambo47
05-24-2011, 03:17 PM
The default storage location is in the BlackBerry's internal memory. If you changed it to the memory card and have 100MB of space left, that shouldn't be the problem then.

If your internal memory drops below 10MB or 12MB the BlackBerry might be clearing chats to free up this memory. It's needed for the OS to run properly. Text messages, calendar events, chats, and even email messages can be lost to critically low internal memory.

blackozone
05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
The default storage location is in the BlackBerry's internal memory. If you changed it to the memory card and have 100MB of space left, that shouldn't be the problem then.

If your internal memory drops below 10MB or 12MB the BlackBerry might be clearing chats to free up this memory. It's needed for the OS to run properly. Text messages, calendar events, chats, and even email messages can be lost to critically low internal memory.

Yeah its def on the mem card. I went thru the contents of the mem card thru my computer and the chats with the contacts that I have noticed to go missing, are all the same size. 147kb "OLD" files. This problem isn't that big a deal but it is sorta disappointing.

rambo47
05-24-2011, 07:38 PM
I've never read about a limit, either in the size of the database or the number of chats able to be saved. You may have just found that limit.

pfiddy_bberry
11-26-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm having the same issue with BBM deleting old messages on a 9780 with over 180mb of internal / 900mb media card Memory.

I don't get why blackberry would place a limit on the database size. It seems like the only work around is to open a "group" chat with an individual, in which you can set the duration of saved messages to "forever" as in the sms options.