PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Horrible experience with Cingular and 8700c

BlackerBerry
01-27-2006, 05:56 PM
It's only been my second day with this phone and cingular service and I don't think I've ever had such problems.

1) IT tried to set-up my BB with BES and the unit was receiving corporate email for a couple of hours, but then stopped receiving them.

2) IT described this as a possible problem on the firm's ISP, T-Mobile's, end.

3) Then, an hour later, I lose the functionality to send SMS messages all while I can still receive them??

4) Now...1 hour and 4 Cingular CSRs later I'm still waiting on hold.

5) Data tech support guy also tells me that my company has the ability to turn off SMS -- more specifically, they can turn off sending while I can still receive SMS's. This sounds specious. Can anyone confirm?

6) When sending SMS also get the error message at top: Requested Facility Not Implemented.

Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on? As a business professional, this is unacceptable. Additionally, I never had issues like this with Verizon. I'm looking to some folks here b/c they probably have a better understanding than Cingular CSR and tech guys.

Thanks.

Stinsonddog
01-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Call your IT dept first. If you are on BES they own you, or at least your BB. So play nice.

Dubdub
01-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Also, you said your IT said it was a problem on the ISP, T-Mobile, bu tthen you have a Cingular device? Something doesn't sound right.

AlbertoM
01-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Also, you said your IT said it was a problem on the ISP, T-Mobile, bu tthen you have a Cingular device? Something doesn't sound right.
That would explain the horrible experience...eh what?

BlackerBerry
01-28-2006, 07:45 PM
The level-3 tech guy was able to figure out one of the problems - funky service books that IT loaded onto BB. Once we deleted the service books all seemed to be ok as far as sending texts went. There may have been some rule in the service book that prevented me from sending texts.

Now my problem is that I can't send or receive emails from my BB, but I can access the web - I'm posting this message from my BB.

As for t-mobile? My IT guys tells me that BES is connected to t-mobile. But what doesn't make sense to me is why would my BB be connected to BES through t-mobile? Wouldn't it be through cingular??

Why would IT tell me something like this?

Thanks for your responses!

That would explain the horrible experience...eh what?

Bunker
01-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Lets start from the beginning.

Firstly, your IT guy is an idiot. It is likely they bought the BES from t-mobile but that means nothing - the BES connects though RIM the same way no matter who they bought it from. Obviously lacks BB knowledge which is a real shame.

Could be few things - but first thing to do is to do a new Enterprise Activation from the BES - but considering your IT guy, I would probably recommend cradling the device against desktop manager (the version your device came with - not an old version) and running through regenerating a new key (which should also fix up any service books errors you may have).

Lastly, when talking to Cingular, if they can't solve it in the first 10 minutes DEMAND they escalate to RIM. They have an escalation path to use and you'll get to talk to someone within RIM where you have a better chance of getting an answer.

Bunker

BlackerBerry
01-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Bunker, thanks for your reply. I'll try out your suggestions as soon as I get back into work today. I'm eager on using this device to its fullest potential and it's a shame I couldn't do it this weekend when it was critical.

Lets start from the beginning.

Firstly, your IT guy is an idiot. It is likely they bought the BES from t-mobile but that means nothing - the BES connects though RIM the same way no matter who they bought it from. Obviously lacks BB knowledge which is a real shame.

Could be few things - but first thing to do is to do a new Enterprise Activation from the BES - but considering your IT guy, I would probably recommend cradling the device against desktop manager (the version your device came with - not an old version) and running through regenerating a new key (which should also fix up any service books errors you may have).

Lastly, when talking to Cingular, if they can't solve it in the first 10 minutes DEMAND they escalate to RIM. They have an escalation path to use and you'll get to talk to someone within RIM where you have a better chance of getting an answer.

Bunker

BlackerBerry
01-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Btw, how do I regenerate a new key? (I understand that this thread does not belong in this forum and this will be my last question.)

Thanks.

CingularMK
01-29-2006, 05:23 PM
I am a Data Tech at Cingular. I'd like to let you know, demanding to speak with RIM will NOT get you escalated there, before RIM, we must complete all neccessary troubleshooting. Also, To the original poster, This is not your BB or Cingular causing the problem, If SB's were removed, and everything is working, Then its your BES putting restrictions, they can also block browsing, external emails, etc etc. When you are put on a BES, Its almost never Cingular's fault. Dont start slandering a company just because you dont know whats going on.

coreyg510
01-29-2006, 05:32 PM
I am a Data Tech at Cingular. I'd like to let you know, demanding to speak with RIM will NOT get you escalated there, before RIM, we must complete all neccessary troubleshooting. Also, To the original poster, This is not your BB or Cingular causing the problem, If SB's were removed, and everything is working, Then its your BES putting restrictions, they can also block browsing, external emails, etc etc. When you are put on a BES, Its almost never Cingular's fault. Dont start slandering a company just because you dont know whats going on.

Well put. I am a Cingular Sales Rep and I hear plenty of people put down a good company (not just Cingular, but verizon, alltel, ect.) just because they dont understand something

Bunker
01-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Btw, how do I regenerate a new key? (I understand that this thread does not belong in this forum and this will be my last question.)

Thanks.

Looks like I upset the Cingular people. I'd feel bad, but I don't. Especially since the person replying just blamed the BES for majority of Cingular's issues. I believe Cingular is meant to be able to help people out with that as well anyway.

You can regenerate your key in desktop manager under the Redirector Settings icon. Click the Security tab and you will be able to Generate a Key Manually from there. Just follow the instructions.

Service books during an upgrade occassionaly go haywire especially if you don't upgrade desktop manager when you do it. Just removing them normally doesn't help - they need to be redone and this is a good way to make sure it is done.

If it doesn't work - you may need to reload the device from scratch, but it really shouldn't come to that.

Bunker.

CingularMK
01-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Uh, We assist the BES admins who have direct access to the BES yes. But for the end user, We have no idea whats going on with the server, what kind of restrictions are placed, etc etc. The only thing we can really troubleshoot or evey assist with when it comes to a BES end user, is GPRS(EDGE) Attach/Provisioning. How the hell are we supposed to know what the hell is going on with the BES?