PDA

View Full Version : Google local problem on the 8700c

CarlGalgano
01-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I searched and found many threads about google local, but nothing that addressed my problem.

I downloaded GL just fine directly to my BB 8700. When I try to connect I get an error saying "network not available". I can use my browser just fine. I would like GL to connect via TCP and not MDS. I dont see any settings for that.

Anyone have any solutions?

MegaBit
01-28-2006, 02:36 PM
I searched and found many threads about google local, but nothing that addressed my problem.

I downloaded GL just fine directly to my BB 8700. When I try to connect I get an error saying "network not available". I can use my browser just fine. I would like GL to connect via TCP and not MDS. I dont see any settings for that.

Anyone have any solutions?

On a stock, un-modified TCP/APN settings 8700c, it should run with no problems-- just like your browser.

sfo
01-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I finally got it to run, but I must not be using it right. I'm in San Francisco. As I move the cursor to another part of town, any part of the city, I get the same place (Goat Hill Pizza) even though there are little icons for places in my neighborhood.
Is there an adjustment I need to make?

bbconvert
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Mine shows "Network Unavailable" as well.

My TCP/IP/APN settings are the out-of-the-box ones

My Internet and Cingular Browsers work fine.

BBmertz
01-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Mine shows "Network Unavailable" as well.

My TCP/IP/APN settings are the out-of-the-box ones

My Internet and Cingular Browsers work fine.
I have the same problem. I still had no luck after trying the following changes suggested in the Google Local FAQs:

* Access Options > Service Book or Tools > Settings > Service Book on your device
* Delete the entry "IPPP for 5 Click (IPPP)" or "E-mail set up [IPPP]"
* Access Options > Host Routing Table or Tools > Settings > Host Routing Table
* Click "Register Now"

naisan
01-29-2006, 12:53 AM
I finally got it to run, but I must not be using it right. I'm in San Francisco. As I move the cursor to another part of town, any part of the city, I get the same place (Goat Hill Pizza) even though there are little icons for places in my neighborhood.
Is there an adjustment I need to make?

press in the roller wheel, select search
then press it in again on the search screen to enter text, then enter text like "North Beach Pizza, San Francisco, CA" and hit the wheel again and choose enter - and it will guide you. /.

sfo
01-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Ahh...got it. Thanks for helping, naisan.

CarlGalgano
01-30-2006, 06:08 AM
I ended up turning on MDS on my BES server, and all is working fine for me now.

ILC32
02-02-2006, 12:18 PM
I ended up turning on MDS on my BES server, and all is working fine for me now.

Carl, I have the same message you did. I use a BES through my company. How did you correct the problem? Is what you did something I can do as a user on my handheld, or do I need to talk to someone in my company about "turing on MDS on my BES server"?

DukeN
03-09-2006, 11:34 PM
What exactly does MDS do guys? I have the same issue but don't want to disable something critical.

shambasha
03-10-2006, 07:59 AM
i had the same problem, and here is what I did,
first backup the information on your blackberry, but not the applications,
second delete the Google Application
then you will have to erase everything on your blackberry
Settings > Options > Security Options > General Settings > Press scroll wheel, selct Wipe Handheld.

remove the battery for a hard reset.
go ahead and install Google again...
that got my problem fixed.

Fireproof
03-10-2006, 09:38 AM
i had the same problem, and here is what I did,
first backup the information on your blackberry, but not the applications,
second delete the Google Application
then you will have to erase everything on your blackberry
Settings > Options > Security Options > General Settings > Press scroll wheel, selct Wipe Handheld.

remove the battery for a hard reset.
go ahead and install Google again...
that got my problem fixed.

Wow. I guess I don't want the app that badly. It shouldn't require jumping through hoops like that to get it to run.