PDA

View Full Version : blackberry functionality w/ different sim card, overseas

corb
01-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:34 am Post subject: blackberry functionality w/ different sim card...help...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm a new 7100 owner with a question for one of you gurus...i'm canadian, with rogers and have had my phone unlocked by bongo wireless so i can use it with different networks' sim cards. i'm going to australia and europe right away, and plan to pick up a local, pay as you go type sim card when i'm there, so i can have a local phone. i understand that my phone number will be different, ie, a local number wherever i am at the time, but...my question is this...will my blackberry emails go to my handset if i'm using a different sim card than the one i use here in canada, that i normally get my emails with? in other words, is your blackberry acct tied to your handset or your sim card or what?? what piece of information/data tells the blackberry server what phone to send your email messages to, and can it be switched around between sim
cards/phone numbers??

i guess if all else fails, i can stick my canadian sim back in, grab and send my emails, then reinsert my local sim the rest of the time, but that seems like kind of a kludgey solution...plus, it's 5c/kb so that's kinda pricey..

btw, i'm a bwc user...webclient. but i thought i read somewhere that my carrier, rogers in this case, has to 'release' my PIN and/or IMEI or something like that for another carrier to be able to utilize the bb function?? thoughts..?
c

thanks folks...

jibi
01-20-2005, 01:03 PM
your blackberry account is tied to your handset (because you set it up that way), however your blackberry functionality is tied to your provider's account (thus your SIM card).

and yes, your PIN is associated to a certain carrier, so they would have to release it as well.

anyhow, just suck it up and pay the international expenses - its probably cheaper (when all is said and done) and less time consuming :)

eightwire
01-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I have the 7100t unlocked from T-mobile. When I went to New Zealand I put a Vodafone Prepay SIM in and I was still able to send and recieve e-mail.

corb
01-21-2005, 03:35 PM
if your PIN is released by your carrier (rogers, canada in my case) would it still work when i brought it back home to rogers in canada after the trip abroad? ie does some carrier always need to 'hold' the pin, or is it more of an PIN unlocking situation as well, where once it's unlocked any carrier can use it??
c

eightwire
01-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Mine has worked fine since I got back. To be honest I am not 100% sure how it works- I suspect that as long as the network you are on (away or at home) carries blackberry service (Vodafone NZ does) then your PIN is registered to the network and your e-mail will find you wherever the handset is.

NJBlackBerry
01-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Mine has worked fine since I got back. To be honest I am not 100% sure how it works- I suspect that as long as the network you are on (away or at home) carries blackberry service (Vodafone NZ does) then your PIN is registered to the network and your e-mail will find you wherever the handset is.
Are you on BES or BWC?

eightwire
01-23-2005, 12:07 PM
BWC