PDA

View Full Version : Can't make wifi calls on my 8220. Is Tmobile giving me accurate tech support?

bugmenot2
06-16-2011, 05:48 PM
I bought my 8220 unlocked from an ebay retailer. The phone will connect to my wifi network no problem, but it will not make any calls using my wifi. Considering that this functionality is the primary reason I bought it, it's a bit frustrating.

After a week or so of going back and forth with Tmobile's tech support they finally came up with the answer that since my phone is not an official Tmobile branded phone (it's a Cincinnati Bell branded phone) the wifi calling will not work because of a hardware difference between Tmobile's 8220s and any other branded 8220.

To me this sounds like total BS since any site I visit for 8220 specs state that the phone is wifi calling enabled, not wifi calling enabled exclusive to Tmobile.

So my question to you is: Is Tmobile giving me the run around or is there something to their statement that my phone has a hardware difference and it won't work no matter how hard I try?

aiharkness
06-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Read http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8200-series-discussion-pearl-flip/153715-8220-uma.html. If you want confirmation, search BlackBerry 8820 UMA.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

penguin3107
06-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Is Tmobile giving me the run around or is there something to their statement that my phone has a hardware difference and it won't work no matter how hard I try?

Tmobile is correct. The handheld carrier branding must match the network it's being used on for UMA to function.

bugmenot2
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Let me ask you this penguin, if I follow this link (http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp) I can find my way to software that will flash my phone's software to the last version supported by Tmobile.

Now, will doing this make my phone an officially supported Tmobile phone? For example, when I fire up my phone now it displays a Cincinnati Bell splash screen, will this software replace that screen with a Tmobile screen? If yes, does that mean my phone is now an "official" Tmobile device?

I'm just trying to exhaust all options before I send it back to the seller, plus I really like the phone and would love to keep it. :smile:

aiharkness
06-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Loading another OS version will not change the splash screen, nor will not solve your problem.

T-Mobile is not giving you the run around. I hesitated to say with absolute certainty nothing can be done, because someone always comes along after with something, and maybe there is a way to enable UMA with changes to configuration in the engineering screens. But practically speaking, there is nothing you are going to be able to do without some very expert knowledge, and T-Mobile is not going to assist period.

penguin3107
06-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Let me ask you this penguin, if I follow this link (http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp) I can find my way to software that will flash my phone's software to the last version supported by Tmobile.
This won't flash the phone. You're merely changing the OS version.

Now, will doing this make my phone an officially supported Tmobile phone?
No.

For example, when I fire up my phone now it displays a Cincinnati Bell splash screen, will this software replace that screen with a Tmobile screen?
No.