PDA

View Full Version : BB Disrupts Home WIFI

erobelin
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Ever since I got my blackberry and brought it home, my home wifi frequently drops. Don't ask me the science of it but basically the PCs in my home randomly stop receiving internet access (strong signal signal from router, no access to internet). Only solution is to power cycle the router by unplugging it for a few seconds or disabling the wifi on my Bold 9780 (which I don't like doing because I'd rather receive data via my wifi than my smartphone plan when I can).

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how was it resolved?

Cheers and thanks,

rambo47
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I seriously doubt it's your BlackBerry causing this. Try updating your router's firmware.

knottyrope
06-17-2011, 03:52 PM
happens to me with the intermittent disruptions when I get a BBM, but I know my router is old (firmware is up to date though)

tsac
06-17-2011, 08:38 PM
The home router should use DHCP to supply the IP addrress to any device on your network. It sounds like the BB is attempting to use an address that is either the routers main address or one that is already used. Check to see if your optioned on the router for DHCP and have enough addresses ( set it to 50 or higher) available. Sometimes routers only rotate a few and when a device with a lower MAC address( the internal id of the device) is activated it will override another.

erobelin
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the responses above. I'll try updating the router's firmware as I have never actually done that. I'll also try what tsac suggested.

I'm faily sure (98%) that my BB is causing the trouble. It only happens when my BB is on and the wifi is running. If I turn off wifi on my BB or turn my BB off entirely, my home wifi has no troubles. I had no problems for the 6 hours my BB was off over the weekend but within 30 minutes of turning it on: BAM! disconnected.