PDA

View Full Version : My New Nutshell Case

mortgageguy
01-28-2006, 08:52 PM
I just wanted to post a few pics of my new Nutshell case. I have owned 3 of them in the past for different devices and they are quality cases.

The case shown below is the pouch style case with the belt loop option. It is the crocodile brown. The fit for the 8700 is excellent. The only problem was that the magnet only worked with the case facing outward and I really like the case facing inward when I carry it. I easily fixed it by adding a slim magnet to the inside of the case underneath the lining.

The belt loop enables you to carry the pouch in several different angles. Either tilted to the front, vertical, or even horizontal (I would only do if I had a tab top).

http://blackberryforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1
tn_Nutshell1.jpg

tn_Nutshell2.jpg

tn_Nutshell3.jpg

tn_Nutshell4.jpg

tn_Nutshell5.jpg

gadgetman
01-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I don't mean to be offensive, but darn that thing's ugly!

mortgageguy
01-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't mean to be offensive, but darn that thing's ugly!

lol, I was wondering what the overall response was going to be. I'm not so sure I like the looks either. It does not look like the picture on their website. I love the way the case fits and wears but it is just not a very "refined" case as I thought it was going to be. I should have gotten the solid brown like I had before. I don't like the contrast in the stitching either.

Ok let's hear the "Yes I would wear that case" or "Hell no I wouldn't wear that ugly thing on my hip"

lgreenberg
01-28-2006, 10:06 PM
I think it looks good.

I owned a Nutshell in croc. previously for a Treo. I thought about getting another one for the BB but ended up with brown instead.

sithjedi333
01-28-2006, 10:33 PM
I think it looks good. Not my style, but good.

tfaz1
01-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Like the material, but why so bulbous? Seems like it would get in the way.

conclusion: wouldn't wear it.

mortgageguy
01-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Like the material, but why so bulbous? Seems like it would get in the way.

conclusion: wouldn't wear it.

Actually, it's one of the slimest cases out there. Whether you get the belt clip or the belt loop it rides right next to you. The pics might be a little deceiving.

kurichan
01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Why would anyone ever use anything other than the holster that comes with the BB? It's perfect in every respect.

mortgageguy
01-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Why would anyone ever use anything other than the holster that comes with the BB? It's perfect in every respect.

I'm assuming you are refering to the plastic clip holster.

Reasons not to use:

1. It offers no protection on the back side for the 8700.
2. They have been known to pop out of this holster after some usage.
3. Everyone has one.
4. It's plastic.

A question back: why do you have more than one pair of shoes? A good pair of tennis shoes could certainly be used for any occasion and they are perfect in every respect. j/k

mriff
01-29-2006, 09:45 AM

Reasons not to use:

1. It offers no protection on the back side for the 8700.
2. They have been known to pop out of this holster after some usage.
3. Everyone has one.
4. It's plastic.

A question back: why do you have more than one pair of shoes? A good pair of tennis shoes could certainly be used for any occasion and they are perfect in every respect. j/k
Lol. I kind of like the case. And I hate the OEM plastic holder (it's not a case). I threw mine away and went out and bought a cheap pocket type nylon case. I'm waiting for the OEM leather holster to become available. Not sure what's taking so long. We're almost at three months after launch.

kuby
01-29-2006, 11:38 AM
I purchased one of the OEM leather holsters availabler at Cingualr. It's okay, but I have to keep the phone on lock when I use it. Not as snazzy as the VaJA case I have for my T3

Kuby

lgreenberg
01-29-2006, 11:42 AM
OEM by who?

I don't so RIM pouch is out yet so did you get a Cingular case?

Can we see pics?

Thanks!

mriff
01-29-2006, 01:11 PM
OEM by who?

I don't so RIM pouch is out yet so did you get a Cingular case?

Can we see pics?

Thanks!
I haven't seen any cases at my local store either. But I'll check again. My local stores have never carried the OEM leather cases, so I haven't watched too closely. I just keep checking the shopblackberry site to see if they have it.

kurichan
01-29-2006, 01:31 PM

Reasons not to use:

1. It offers no protection on the back side for the 8700.Protection from WHAT? You aren't rock climbing with the thing on, are you?

2. They have been known to pop out of this holster after some usage.Has anyone had this happen? It's never happened to me and I've NEVER heard of this happening.

3. Everyone has one.You got me there, but I cannot remember caring about what other people have since middle school, but maybe that's just me.

4. It's plastic.Which is why I suspect it works so well.

A question back: why do you have more than one pair of shoes? A good pair of tennis shoes could certainly be used for any occasion and they are perfect in every respect. j/kI have one pair of tennis shoes for when I play tennis. I have one Blackberry holster for when I use my Blackberry. It's a business tool, not a fashion accessory. But to each his own.

My point is simple: the Blackberry holster is functionally PERFECT. I can't imagine wanting anything else, especially something that restricts my access to the device...

lgreenberg
01-29-2006, 01:37 PM
There shouldn't be any need to defend the use of aftermarket or OEM non plastic holster type cases. There's obvious a market for them. I mean how many different case options are there for the 71xx series alone? Twenty? More?

If you do a little bit of searching you'd probably be surprised at the number of posts from people who've had their Blackberry pop out of the holster and fall to the ground. It's actually more common than you think.

As for protection. The biggest problem I see with the holster is it leaves the back of the device completely exposed. The most common mishap with this setup is banging your phone on the corner of a table or counter. Yes, it happens and can cause damage to the device. Either cracking or causing the device to pop out and fall to the ground.

It's great that you like the OEM plastic holster. I like it too. I just don't trust it for 100% protection and relability. It's just not for everyone.

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Mine has popped out of the OEM plactic SEVERAL times. I find it hard to believe that anyone who has used it for over a couple months has not had it happen at least a couple times. Not to mention the fact that the plastic edges rub the sides of the device and cause small abrasion-type marks on its sides. Also, one of my retainer clips broke off on one side of the holster. There are numerous reasons to get a better case. And if RIM thought so highly of it, they would not make OEM leather cases as replacement options...

Sparkomatic
01-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't wear the croc case. Just not my style. I ordered a Nutshell case in brown (pouch w/ a belt clip) and should, hopefully, have it this week :)

mriff
01-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Wow, those cases are a little pricey. $54 for the pouch type. If I'm reading it right. The folks at Nutshell need to work a little on their web design. They look pretty nice though.

I'm holding out for the OEM leather holster. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :razz:

kurichan
01-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Mine has popped out of the OEM plactic SEVERAL times. I find it hard to believe that anyone who has used it for over a couple months has not had it happen at least a couple times.
Well believe it. Much, much longer than a couple months in fact. Practically everyone I work with uses a BB and never once has one popped out. But these people aren't "field" workers. I could see someone out doing physical labor needing something other than a holster I guess. Outside of that, I just don't run into tables like someone else mentioned, and it's never popped out.

Not to mention the fact that the plastic edges rub the sides of the device and cause small abrasion-type marks on its sides.
This is one of those "so what" issues for me. Once again, my BB is a business tool, not a fashion accessory. Besides, the technology is progressing so quickly, it will be replaced every two years anyway, so I could care less about a little rubbing.

Also, one of my retainer clips broke off on one side of the holster.
Are you using a 7100? I can't see how the 7200 holster could break unless you set out to purposely break it...

There are numerous reasons to get a better case. And if RIM thought so highly of it, they would not make OEM leather cases
as replacement options...
Ahahahaa. Yeah - I guess you're right. I'm sure they didn't think for a second about all the money they could make selling extra accessories... :razz:

Besides, I don't see how a case that forces you to fish the darn thing out when you're trying to answer a call is better. I had a pouch case for mine. It was pretty but functionally obstrusive. I missed more than one call just trying to get the BB out of the case. Just doesn't make sense to me.

RIM has the best OEM holster for any device I've ever used. I stand by it. I love the thing.

kurichan
01-29-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't mean to be offensive, but darn that thing's ugly!I'd say more metrosexual than anything.

mortgageguy
01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I'd say more metrosexual than anything.

That's why there is such a huge market for cases out there. I happen to like the plastic holster too but I just like having different ways to carry my device. Yes, it is for business but then so is a briefcase. Do you carry a cheap looking plastic briefcase? I bet not.

To each his own. :smile:

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Do you carry a cheap looking plastic briefcase? I bet not.Precisely.

Are you using a 7100? I can't see how the 7200 holster could break unless you set out to purposely break it... Umm, this is an 8700 thread, in case you missed it, so I in fact am talking about the 8700 OEM plastic holster. And yes, you caught me, I purposely broke it.

Ahahahaa. Yeah - I guess you're right. I'm sure they didn't think for a second about all the money they could make selling extra accessories... Touche...

Practically everyone I work with uses a BB and never once has one popped out. Have you actually questioned every single person you work with about their 24 hr per day activities with their Berries? If so - impressive. Otherwise. you don't really know. How about dropping them? Has anyone in your existence ever dropped a Berry? Or do you non-field workers use stickem each morning?

I missed more than one call just trying to get the BB out of the case. Just doesn't make sense to me. If you missed a call by not being able to get it out of a pouch, then your ringer must be set to about 10 seconds. That's rediculous. Though I must admit it would be pretty funny to watch you struggle with a BlackBerry in it's death-grip pouch...

Once again, my BB is a business tool, not a fashion accessory. As is mine. I am an attorney, and it serves me well every day. All the more reason for me to ensure it's protection as best I can. And I guess it is just me, according to your stats, but I occasionally drop things, and also mine does indeed get popped out of the holster from time to time, so I am getting a fully enclosed leather case to protect my very important business device from destruction.
http://www.senacases.com/cart/home.php?cat=387

(P.S. If this reply sounds a bit snotty, I apologize, but I am only mirroring your posts' tones.)

mriff
01-29-2006, 05:56 PM
I had the OEM leather holster for my old 7280 for well over a year. Never once did I struggle to get it out of the case. It took one thumb, one forefinger and one smooth motion. No it's not a fashion accessory, it's a business tool. That's why I want to protect it. And I do go to the 'field' with it. Yes, I am a simple field worker on occasion. :razz: (seattle, maybe we need some more cowbells in this thread!)

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 06:20 PM
(seattle, maybe we need some more cowbells in this thread!)
I will do a temporary avatar switch just for you. I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

(BTW - get that damn Gator flag out of here, I graduated form FSU! SEMINOLES!!!!!!!!!!)

mriff
01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I will do a temporary avatar switch just for you. I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

(BTW - get that damn Gator flag out of here, I graduated form FSU! SEMINOLES!!!!!!!!!!)

Lol. I live right here in Tallahassee. But I'm definitely a Gator.

Now that we have more Cowbells, we'll all just chill about the cases for our 8700. To each his own. But I want leather baby!

Go HAWKS! Could be a great game next Sunday.

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Lol. I live right here in Tallahassee. But I'm definitely a Gator.

Now that we have more Cowbells, we'll all just settle down about the cases for our 8700. To each his own. But I want leather baby!

Go HAWKS! Could be a great game next Sunday.
GO HAWKS! Now I feel like a traitor - the Seahawks flag is going back up! And how dare you live in T-Town and call yourself a Gator! I wouldn't go wearing those nasty blue and orange colors around town, you might get scalped in Seminole country.

mbay2002
01-29-2006, 06:54 PM
lol, I was wondering what the overall response was going to be. I'm not so sure I like the looks either. It does not look like the picture on their website. I love the way the case fits and wears but it is just not a very "refined" case as I thought it was going to be. I should have gotten the solid brown like I had before. I don't like the contrast in the stitching either.

Ok let's hear the "Yes I would wear that case" or "Hell no I wouldn't wear that ugly thing on my hip"

I like the way it looks... I'm going to order a nutshell pouch case today, no loops or clips, for the times that I carry my BB in my pocket. I'm also going to order the Fortte vertical case with a ratchet clip for the times I want my BB on my hip.

lgreenberg
01-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm also going to order the Fortte vertical case with a ratchet clip for the times I want my BB on my hip.

FYI, the Fortte case does not ratchet.

mbay2002
01-29-2006, 07:07 PM
FYI, the Fortte case does not ratchet.

Thanks for reminding me... it does swivel, I believe, so I should be fine with that...

mriff
01-29-2006, 07:40 PM
GO HAWKS! Now I feel like a traitor - the Seahawks flag is going back up! And how dare you live in T-Town and call yourself a Gator! I wouldn't go wearing those nasty blue and orange colors around town, you might get scalped in Seminole country.
No more cowbells. Let the debate about 8700 cases rage on! :razz: How about a gator skin case!?

And there are plenty of us Gators living down here in T-Town. We stick together. And wear our colors proudly. 8-)

kurichan
01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
I am an attorneyEnough said.:razz:

kurichan
01-29-2006, 08:29 PM
No more cowbells. Let the debate about 8700 cases rage on! :razz: How about a gator skin case!?

And there are plenty of us Gators living down here in T-Town. We stick together. And wear our colors proudly. 8-)I hear you guys have to zig zag to avoid getting eaten by the gators down there. Now I see why you can't use a holster. Even I might get a pouch holder if I had gators chasing me around town to keep my BB from falling out! But I'd definitely go for metal, so I could use it as a backup weapon.

But whatever case it might be, I wouldn't be caught dead with that one at the top of this thread on my hip!

mriff
01-29-2006, 09:15 PM
I hear you guys have to zig zag to avoid getting eaten by the gators down there. Now I see why you can't use a holster. Even I might get a pouch holder if I had gators chasing me around town to keep my BB from falling out! But I'd definitely go for metal, so I could use it as a backup weapon.

But whatever case it might be, I wouldn't be caught dead with that one at the top of this thread on my hip!
We eat gator for lunch. After we wrestle 'em. When you get chomped, you need a good leather case that can't be chewed through. That ol' plastic OEM case would be nothing but gator bait. And hey that case at the top isn't so bad. Ugly is the new elegant. (y)

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Enough said.:razz:
Everybody with the attorney remarks - but who do you call when the $hIt hits the fan? Your doctor? Friend? Neighbor? Accountant? Priest? No - the dreaded attorney gets the call.

kurichan
01-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Actually, I love my attorneys.

I've probably worked with 200 attorneys in my life (I'm a VC). I've really only had troubles with two of them! Generally, I find attorneys to be really smart, fair and thoughtful.

I was just yanking your chain. And I see it worked!;-)

You must be a litigator... ;-)

mortgageguy
01-29-2006, 11:06 PM

I've probably worked with 200 attorneys in my life (I'm a VC). I've really only had troubles with two of them! Generally, I find attorneys to be really smart, fair and thoughtful.

Hey Kurichan,
Have you seen the new M3 leather PDA cases offered by BMW? :smile:

Seattle18
01-29-2006, 11:52 PM

I used to be a prosecutor, but in private practice now, trying to mellow a bit...

kurichan
01-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Hey Kurichan,
Have you seen the new M3 leather PDA cases offered by BMW? :smile:Nope. But I'm thinking of getting an M5 or M6 pretty soon, so I guess I'll have to get one... But I'm liking the 997 too... I suppose there are Porsche design cases too... (oh no! let's not go there...).

If I could find a damn bluetooth headset that worked, I wouldn't have to worry so much about getting the BB out of its stylin case!

Arrrggghhh!! Am I the only person who's not only satisfied with the BB holster, but who actually PREFERS it to anything else?

nickp
01-30-2006, 03:43 AM
I like the way it looks... I'm going to order a nutshell pouch case today, no loops or clips, for the times that I carry my BB in my pocket. I'm also going to order the Fortte vertical case with a ratchet clip for the times I want my BB on my hip.

I have had at least 6 Nutshell cases for my various devices, but never for one of my BBs, until now. I thought I would try one for my 8700 because I like the design, build and the way they soften up and form to the device the more you use them.

That being said, instead of buying multiple cases, you may want to consider getting the belt loop option on the Nutshell you plan on ordering. The loop sits tightly against the case so that if you wanted to use it as a pouch, you can without the loop getting in the way, or if you need to wear it on your hip, you have the option of vertically, horizontally or at a 45 degree angle. All with the same case/loop option.

These companies are charging an arm and a leg for $5 worth of leather, and in the past I have always found the Nutshell w/loop to be a nice multi-fit solution without having to spend $$ on multiple cases.

As to the BB plastic holster issue, I have always preferred the stock BB holster to any sort of aftermarket solution. It works well, sits snugly and reliably against my hip and makes the BB very accessible. This 8700 Nutshell I have coming will be the first time I have ordered and/or used anything besides the stock holster for my past BB devices (6240,7290,7105t and 8700c). The stock fabric pouch the 7105t came with was a big piece of <<^&%. Magnet quit working after 2 weeks, kept falling off my belt and/or the BB kept falling out of it.

But for the traditional style BB, I have always preferred and had good luck with stock holsters. We'll see how the Nutshell compares...

mbay2002
01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
That being said, instead of buying multiple cases, you may want to consider getting the belt loop option on the Nutshell you plan on ordering. The loop sits tightly against the case so that if you wanted to use it as a pouch, you can without the loop getting in the way, or if you need to wear it on your hip, you have the option of vertically, horizontally or at a 45 degree angle. All with the same case/loop option.

Too late... I already ordered both the Fortte and the Nutshell pouch (without a loop or clip). We'll see how it goes... if I really like the Nutshell, I may order another one with the Alligator skin and a belt loop!!!

As for attorneys, the last few cases I've been involved in, I've represented myself "in propria persona". It's a lot of work, but I'll tell you there is nothing so satisfying as beating a loud-mouthed attorney who has 3 years of law school behind him and charges $350+ per hour... not that I dislike ALL attorneys, just the loud-mouth sleezy ones...and I've come across some with NO ethics. Sorry to be off-topic here, just couldn't resist.

Seattle18
01-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Too late... I already ordered both the Fortte and the Nutshell pouch (without a loop or clip). We'll see how it goes... if I really like the Nutshell, I may order another one with the Alligator skin and a belt loop!!!

As for attorneys, the last few cases I've been involved in, I've represented myself "in propria persona". It's a lot of work, but I'll tell you there is nothing so satisfying as beating a loud-mouthed attorney who has 3 years of law school behind him and charges $350+ per hour... not that I dislike ALL attorneys, just the loud-mouth sleezy ones...and I've come across some with NO ethics. Sorry to be off-topic here, just couldn't resist.
Well I hope the cases were nothing more than speeding or county ordinance violations, because without us sleezy lawyers you could get in some hot water! Remember, he who represents himself has a fool for a client... :smile:

mbay2002
01-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Well I hope the cases were nothing more than speeding or county ordinance violations, because without us sleezy lawyers you could get in some hot water! Remember, he who represents himself has a fool for a client... :smile:

Now don't get me started! :razz:
Q: What do you have when a lawyer is buried up to his neck in sand?
A: Not enough sand.

Take a look at all the lawyer jokes here, there must be hundreds!!!
http://www.ahajokes.com/lawyer_jokes.html

Sorry for the off-topic post, I'll stop now :oops:

Seattle18
01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Lawyer jokes are my favorite!

swwang
01-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Just got my chocolate brown Nutshell case with tab and belt clip. I already own a Gizmo lampskin case. The Nutshell is certainly well built and feels like it will last a long time. The belt clip is strong and easy to clip on. Here is how I would compare the two cases:
Gizmo:
* Just the right size, fits well, soft leather and nice magnetic closure tab. But the leather is almost too thin. You can feel the metal on the belt clip from the inside, I ended up putting the 8700 face out which is not my preferred way. The belt clip is hard to put on the belt, often I end up trying to put it on between the clip and the back of the case and had to pry apart the clip to put on the belt, a real usability issue. Otherwise it's a nice looking case, I think it is better looking than Nutshell.

Nutshell:
* Strong heavy leather, much better protection, looks bigger though, but easy to use and put on, and it hooks to the belt. About the only thing I don't like is the velcro tab. Of course it is also more expensive than Gizmo.

Neither are perfect. The Gizmo case should be a pouch that you put in your pocket, or it needs a thicker leather liner to shield the belt clip metal fastener. Gizmo needs to redesign the belt clip so it is easier to put on. Also it doesn't hook to the belt after it's on. The Nutshell could use a maganetic tab closure and get rid of that Levi like little red ribbon. The belt clip is well designed and sturdy. No usability issues here.

Scott

mortgageguy
01-31-2006, 07:28 AM
Neither are perfect. The Gizmo case should be a pouch that you put in your pocket, or it needs a thicker leather liner to shield the belt clip metal fastener. Gizmo needs to redesign the belt clip so it is easier to put on. Also it doesn't hook to the belt after it's on. The Nutshell could use a maganetic tab closure and get rid of that Levi like little red ribbon. The belt clip is well designed and sturdy. No usability issues here.

Scott

Almost my thoughts exactly. The Gizmo if redesigned would make a great pouch to slide into your pocket. Get rid of the belt clip.

The tag on the Nutshell definatley needs to go. To me the Nutshell pouch without the tab top is the most functional case out there but it is not good for sliding into your pocket. The leather is just too thick for that and it adds to much bulk to the sides.

Mr Pink57
01-31-2006, 04:30 PM
There shouldn't be any need to defend the use of aftermarket or OEM non plastic holster type cases. There's obvious a market for them. I mean how many different case options are there for the 71xx series alone? Twenty? More?

And you know what Greenberg no too many of them have gotten it right, I have yet to see RIM release a decent case for it or any other manufactuer (minus Fortte).

Ugly is the new elegant

Is scary how right this statement is...

pink

sasquatch
06-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I just got a Nutshell pouch case for my 7105t, and I have to say, after trying several pouch and belt cases (OEM, Sena, Krussel, etc...) this Nutshell pouch case is the strongest and most secure I've ever used. It's easy to take the BB out quickly, but holds it tight, and has the toughest belt clip I've ever used. (I got the open-top black case w/belt clip). Absolutely beautiful leather and workmanship, well worth the price. All my other cases are going to get shelved, this one's a keeper.