PDA

View Full Version : Should a Blackberry Addict like me not consider the Treo 700w?

athreya
01-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Treo has:

1.EVDO
2.Skype
3.Great Form Factor
4. Wifi with SD Card
5. Good battery
6. Good third party software incl MP3 player
7. Streaming TV
8. Email-able Voice notes

vs.

1. Poor Screen
2. Poor/ Keyboard less wider than the 8700 (this is a killer for me)..thoughts from people who have used both would be helpful
3. Limited push email. (may change with Windows update)

Dont know when the 8700v with EVDO or the next BIG BB on EVDO will come or when the Q will be released

Should I go with the Treo 700w or wait ?

sfo
01-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I'd absolutely wait. I switched to the 8700 from the Treo 650 and from reviews (e.g., Wall Street Journal's Walter Mosberg) the Treo 700w isn't as good as the Treo 650.

Ironically, I'd prefer the Treo keyboard, but I'm used to the 8700 now.
Screen quality is superb on the BlackBerry.
And nothing is quicker for e-mail.

mortgageguy
01-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Treo has:

1.EVDO
2.Skype
3.Great Form Factor
4. Wifi with SD Card
5. Good battery
6. Good third party software incl MP3 player
7. Streaming TV
8. Email-able Voice notes

vs.

1. Poor Screen
2. Poor/ Keyboard less wider than the 8700 (this is a killer for me)..thoughts from people who have used both would be helpful
3. Limited push email. (may change with Windows update)

Dont know when the 8700v with EVDO or the next BIG BB on EVDO will come or when the Q will be released

Should I go with the Treo 700w or wait ?

The Treo 650 ruined me from ever trying a PalmOne product again. It could have been such a great device. But in the rush to make money they released a piece of crap.

You have to ask yourself - Do you want a stable device (Blackberry) or an unstable, crash frequently, lose all your info, bling bling device? (Treo)

athreya
01-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I'd absolutely wait. I switched to the 8700 from the Treo 650 and from reviews (e.g., Wall Street Journal's Walter Mosberg) the Treo 700w isn't as good as the Treo 650.

Ironically, I'd prefer the Treo keyboard, but I'm used to the 8700 now.
Screen quality is superb on the BlackBerry.
And nothing is quicker for e-mail.

isnt the treo suppose to be atleast an inch in width LESS than the 8700 and the keys smaller? then how do you say the keyboard is better?

who knows when the next gen BB comes out?

gadgetman
01-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Try to resist.

1. EVDO - EDGE is really fast too. It's the processor that counts.
2. Skype - do you really NEED it?
3. Great Form Factor - but not gorgeous like the 8700
4. Wifi with SD Card - big deal!
5. Good battery - which the 8700 also has
6. Good third party software incl MP3 player - granted
7. Streaming TV - not really - unusable in practise - nice gimmick in theory though
8. Email-able Voice notes - which you'll rarely use - how many have you received?

You forgot to mention the camera which I would like although I believe the one on the 700 is pretty horrible. Also voice command would ne nice.

Now for the Treo 700 negatives.
1. No instant push e-mail.
2. Horrendous e-mail interface - just ridiculous.
3. Bad screen.
4. Active sync problems galore.
5. Two handed operation.
6. Too many clicks to get things done.
7. No instant push e-mail
8. It's not a Blackberry.
9. No instant push e-mail.
10. EVDO means using Verizon and at some point in the future Sprint. Can't use Verizon and Sprint phones overseas.

athreya
01-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Try to resist.

1. EVDO - EDGE is really fast too. It's the processor that counts.
2. Skype - do you really NEED it?
3. Great Form Factor - but not gorgeous like the 8700
4. Wifi with SD Card - big deal!
5. Good battery - which the 8700 also has
6. Good third party software incl MP3 player - granted
7. Streaming TV - not really - unusable in practise - nice gimmick in theory though
8. Email-able Voice notes - which you'll rarely use - how many have you received?

You forgot to mention the camera which I would like although I believe the one on the 700 is pretty horrible. Also voice command would ne nice.

3. Bad screen.
5. Two handed operation.
10. EVDO means using Verizon and at some point in the future Sprint. Can't use Verizon and Sprint phones overseas.

i mentioned the email. One handed operation appears to be quite decent according to lots of users. And the 700w is Dual Nam (which means you can use it overseas) for it will support two phone numbers.

tfaz1
01-28-2006, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=gadgetman]8. Email-able Voice notes - which you'll rarely use - how many have you received?

I'd love voice notes, period. Lots of times I'm on the phone while driving and want to capture some information, but can't type. Taking a brief voice note was a great solution in those situations.

Is there a 3rd party app that brings audio capture to the BB?

gadgetman
01-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Athreya: I must admit I had never head of Dual Nam before. However, if the phone is CDMA rather than GSM, two numbers will not help when overseas. You need a GSM phone for overseas use, which means no Verizon or Sprint, which means no EVDO.

I believe that you may be dangerously close to defecting to the other side.

athreya
01-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Athreya: I must admit I had never head of Dual Nam before. However, if the phone is CDMA rather than GSM, two numbers will not help when overseas. You need a GSM phone for overseas use, which means Verizon or Sprint, which means no EVDO.

theres CDMA all over the world..no EVDO though

still not defected but BB's incremental changes with 8700 broke my heart.

athreya
01-28-2006, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=gadgetman]8. Email-able Voice notes - which you'll rarely use - how many have you received?

I'd love voice notes, period. Lots of times I'm on the phone while driving and want to capture some information, but can't type. Taking a brief voice note was a great solution in those situations.

Is there a 3rd party app that brings audio capture to the BB?

we probably never used it for it wasnt there! imagine emailing while you are driving with your voice! no TPS for BB voice as far as i know

udontknowjack
01-28-2006, 11:28 PM
I've been playing with the 700w now for a couple of weeks and I have an 8700. I will keep the 8700 and give the 700w back to Verizon. Edge is not nearly as fast as EVDO so if internet speed is important then that is something to think about about. Other than that, for email and PIM sync, the BB is still the most solid by far. For me, I don't care about a cammera or mp3 player. (if you play a lot of music, battery suffers) I don't think the 700w has any better of battery life than the 8700. Actually, It seems a littl worse to me. I can't go 48 hours on my 700 but I can with my 8700. Sreaming video, who cares. It is a gimick. Screen is two small and video is too choppy. Lastly, keyboard on Treo is simply too small for me and I hate a stylus. I can do everything with one hand with a BB but not with the Treo 700.

Stick with Blackberry! Still the best thing on the market for wireless email and PIM sync.

udontknowjack
01-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Oh, BTW, you asked when next gen of BB coming out. I heard there is a new style device due out late this summer. Don't know how reliable but it wouldn't surprise me.

athreya
01-28-2006, 11:34 PM
I've been playing with the 700w now for a couple of weeks and I have an 8700. I will keep the 8700 and give the 700w back to Verizon. Edge is not nearly as fast as EVDO so if internet speed is important then that is something to think about about. Other than that, for email and PIM sync, the BB is still the most solid by far. For me, I don't care about a cammera or mp3 player. (if you play a lot of music, battery suffers) I don't think the 700w has any better of battery life than the 8700. Actually, It seems a littl worse to me. I can't go 48 hours on my 700 but I can with my 8700. Sreaming video, who cares. It is a gimick. Screen is two small and video is too choppy. Lastly, keyboard on Treo is simply too small for me and I hate a stylus. I can do everything with one hand with a BB but not with the Treo 700.

Stick with Blackberry! Still the best thing on the market for wireless email and PIM sync.

thanks...i feel the treo keyboard is small as well...but evdo and skype alone seem to make it worth it. No?

udontknowjack
01-28-2006, 11:39 PM
thanks...i feel the treo keyboard is small as well...but evdo and skype alone seem to make it worth it. No?
For me no, not worth it. EVDO maybe but I don't do much browsing wirelessly so not really worth it. I guess it depends what you really want the device for. I need to get my mail wirelessly and have decent phone. The 8700 does that wonderfully. And I like the wider screen and when I do browse, the BB renders the screens to fit better. With the Treo I have to scroll left and right.

mafoe
01-29-2006, 01:40 AM
here I found a good source

http://strom.wordpress.com/2006/01/13/dont-buy-a-treo-700w

cheers marco

gadgetman
01-29-2006, 01:42 AM
I recommend the review in the following thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=105733

The 700 definitely has its strong points but I would never give up my 8700. I absolutely LOVE my 8700.

Sparkomatic
01-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I've used Pocket PC WM5 OS and it's a huge improvement but still can't compete with a Treo 650 Palm or BB. My top 2 devices:

1. BB 8700 - Best I've used and with push email, I'm definitely a CrackBerry addict!
2. Treo 650 Palm - I loved my Treo 650 and rarely had problems with it. But, my BB NEVER has problems. I will say that if...eeek!... the whole BB lawsuit thing were to go South and service did shut off, I guess I would go with a Treo 700.... but I wouldn't be happy about it! lol

jg70124
01-29-2006, 06:01 PM
.You forgot to mention the camera which I would like although I believe the one on the 700 is pretty horrible. Also voice command would ne nice.

3. Bad screen.
5. Two handed operation.

I've used Treos and 8700's extensively. Here's what I'd say to you:
- Treo's camera is not great, but for snaps and reminders, it's great. And it's certainly better than the 8700's camera.
1. Instant push email is absolutely available using the 3rd party email app Chatter (which is far superior to the built-in email package anyway). And it has the additional advantage of staying in sync with your POP or IMAP server (which is not possible with the BB unless you have access to a corporate BES server).
2. This is a matter of preference. The Treo's email interface is much more similar to Outlook's than is the 8700 - and is far superior in my mind.
3. Disagree - the Treo screen has greater resolution and similar brightness to the BB's. It can show much more text at much smaller sizes. For instance, you can see whole web pages formatted as they would be on your PC, not in some jumbled mess caused by IE emulation or lack of HTML support.
4. Yes. The Treo is much better for independent users who don't have access to corporate infrastructure. In fact, it's a far superior device to the 8700 in that case.
5&6. Hmm. Perhaps a matter of getting used to it - I found the Treo's interface to be more intuitive, easier to navigate with one hand, and requiring fewer steps to get things done.
8. Indeed not. And so it will continue to function should the blackberry network be shut down if RIM loses it's patent case.
10. Correct - CDMA phones don't work outside the US and carribbean. But Sprint provides a GSM SIM with your number that you can use in an unlocked world phone when traveling. Or, you can get the GSM version and use it on Cingular's or TMO's networks.

Obviously, I prefer the Treo. But I am now a BB user for one reason and one reason only - unlimted international data plans for US$20/month (TMO) and Cingular US$30/month (Cingular). With the GSM Treo, you have to pay .0015-.002 per kb, which can add up in a hurry.

athreya
01-29-2006, 06:24 PM
- Treo's camera is not great, but for snaps and reminders, it's great. And it's certainly better than the 8700's camera.
1. Instant push email is absolutely available using the 3rd party email app Chatter (which is far superior to the built-in email package anyway). And it has the additional advantage of staying in sync with your POP or IMAP server (which is not possible with the BB unless you have access to a corporate BES server).
2. This is a matter of preference. The Treo's email interface is much more similar to Outlook's than is the 8700 - and is far superior in my mind.
3. Disagree - the Treo screen has greater resolution and similar brightness to the BB's. It can show much more text at much smaller sizes. For instance, you can see whole web pages formatted as they would be on your PC, not in some jumbled mess caused by IE emulation or lack of HTML support.
4. Yes. The Treo is much better for independent users who don't have access to corporate infrastructure. In fact, it's a far superior device to the 8700 in that case.
5&6. Hmm. Perhaps a matter of getting used to it - I found the Treo's interface to be more intuitive, easier to navigate with one hand, and requiring fewer steps to get things done.
8. Indeed not. And so it will continue to function should the blackberry network be shut down if RIM loses it's patent case.
10. Correct - CDMA phones don't work outside the US and carribbean. But Sprint provides a GSM SIM with your number that you can use in an unlocked world phone when traveling. Or, you can get the GSM version and use it on Cingular's or TMO's networks.

Obviously, I prefer the Treo. But I am now a BB user for one reason and one reason only - unlimted international data plans for US$20/month (TMO) and Cingular US$30/month (Cingular). With the GSM Treo, you have to pay .0015-.002 per kb, which can add up in a hurry.

You are factually wrong.
1. There is no Chatter mail for Treo 700w. On the website, Marc, their developer has categoriclaly said that he doesnt plan to develop one for it.

2. CDMA is available: In India Reliance and BSNL offer it, it is offered in parts of Latin America, Africa and Europe.

3. The 700w is supposed to be Palm's answer to those who wanted to be on their corporate infrastructure and didnt have BBs.

4. Any thoughts on the keyboard?

5.Screen: I thought on treo one has to scroll instead of having to scroll sideways.

birdiebo
01-30-2006, 03:58 PM
I had the opportunity to compare my daughter's Treo 700 with my new 8700, and it seemed to me that web-browsing was faster and easier on the 8700. So far, no problems whatsoever with the 8700...or with the Cingular service!

athreya
01-30-2006, 06:34 PM
I had the opportunity to compare my daughter's Treo 700 with my new 8700, and it seemed to me that web-browsing was faster and easier on the 8700. So far, no problems whatsoever with the 8700...or with the Cingular service!

do you think you can go to a bandwidth site , say on cnet amd check the speed of each?

mbay2002
01-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Anybody have experience with either of these phones:
BenQ P50 http://www.benq.com/products/mobile/p50/P50_en.htm

Siemens SX66 http://www.benqmobile.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,hq_en_0_76051_rArNrNrNrN,00.html

athreya
01-30-2006, 07:01 PM

do you think you can go to a bandwidth site , say on cnet amd check the speed of each?

swwang
01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
I would go with the 8700. I used an un-branded Treo600 with T-mobile since it came out and was very happy with it. The company I work for recently offerred Blackberry service and after the announcement of the Treo Blackberry Connect I switched to Cingular and got the Treo650. 650 is a nice improvement over the 600, especially the screen resolution but I had phone reception problems at work. Two 650s later and just before the 30 day trial period ended I switched to the 8700c rather than waiting for Treo's Blackberry connect. Life hasn't been the same. 8700 beats the 650 hands down, especially in e-mail and calendar (real time updates on both). It is also more reliable.

I do like the Treo form factor and keyboard probably because I am used to it. The 8700c is not bad though. One big plus for the Treo is the ability to run the Pleco Chinese dictionary (it's available on both 650 and 700w) as I am on assignment in China. But since I need two phones anyway I use my Treo600 for China local phone service + Pleco Dictionary and my 8700c with unlimited Blackberry International data plan for e-mail and the rest. Although my 8700c is subsidy unlocked I found switching SIM cards too cumbersome in practice so I opted to use two phones.

Scott

athreya
01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
I would go with the 8700. I used an un-branded Treo600 with T-mobile since it came out and was very happy with it. The company I work for recently offerred Blackberry service and after the announcement of the Treo Blackberry Connect I switched to Cingular and got the Treo650. 650 is a nice improvement over the 600, especially the screen resolution but I had phone reception problems at work. Two 650s later and just before the 30 day trial period ended I switched to the 8700c rather than waiting for Treo's Blackberry connect. Life hasn't been the same. 8700 beats the 650 hands down, especially in e-mail and calendar (real time updates on both). It is also more reliable.

I do like the Treo form factor and keyboard probably because I am used to it. The 8700c is not bad though. One big plus for the Treo is the ability to run the Pleco Chinese dictionary (it's available on both 650 and 700w) as I am on assignment in China. But since I need two phones anyway I use my Treo600 for China local phone service + Pleco Dictionary and my 8700c with unlimited Blackberry International data plan for e-mail and the rest. Although my 8700c is subsidy unlocked I found switching SIM cards too cumbersome in practice so I opted to use two phones.

Scott

thats not a fair comparison. you should compare the 700 with the 8700c. Both are the closest to broadband and the respective flagships

Sparkomatic
01-30-2006, 10:19 PM

Sounds like you're talking more about the Treo 650 and not the Treo 700.

Concept
01-30-2006, 10:33 PM
This one section right here would keep me away from a Treo 700.

Problems

The first week for me was pretty rocky. I had frequent lockups with my phone. Thanks to some smart people in these forums and elsewhere I was able to resolve them quickly. The first problem had to do with ActiveSync always running, which made my Treo lock up every 15-20 minutes. There's a sequence of steps you can take to resolve this problem and once I did that, the problem was solved.

The 2nd problem had to do with my SD card. For some reason when it was in, things would slow down quite a bit. I cleared my card off and added the same files back on and all was well. Not sure what the problem was, and I hope this isn't something that I have to do on a frequent basis. My best advice is that if you are having problems with your Treo, one of the first things you should try doing is popping your SD card out of your Treo and use it for a day or so to see if the problem has gone away.

Now it's to the point where it locks up maybe once a day, if that... and that's only because I'm still loading it up and testing things out (call me a "power user" -- guilty!) Once I'm done futzing around with this thing I'm sure it will behave a bit better.

However, through the first week of hell, trying to work out problems that Microsoft/Palm should have fixed out of the box, my other nag is that to do a soft reset of this phone requires that you remove the back cover in order to get to the reset button with the stylus. Some people have cut holes in their back cover for easier access (not me!). This is a bad design flaw... just like a PC, a Pocket PC is going to need to be reset frequently. Also there's no hard reset button -- you have to remove the battery, then put it back in. I had one problem that was only solved by a hard reset (can't remember off-hand what it was).

kurichan
01-30-2006, 10:41 PM
I haven't looked at the other posts, but my thought is NEVER be a bigot about anything. You should certainly check it out and see if it fits your needs and work style.

My impression, from what I've read, is that the device goes a really long way toward making Windows Mobile and Treo useful but it's just not quite there and to wait for the next release (750w?).

I love my Blackberry to death, but once there is a device that is as stable, has push mail, a good keyboard, and tons of software (i.e. Windows Mobile), my allegiance to BB will break.

A total aside, but as usual, Microsoft is biding its time, starting with a crappy product and slowly but surely listening to user feedback and creating a really compelling product. Windows Mobile is definitely going to take over the mobile market by Windows Mobile 7.x...

athreya
01-31-2006, 06:42 AM
indeed a fair bit of customication needs to be done on the 700 first to get around the bugs msft has pre-embedded on it.

udontknowjack
01-31-2006, 10:51 AM

Athreya, I did a bandwidth test on cnet and here are the results.
700w - 408kbs
8700 - 381kbs (on TMO's network)

Personally, I don't believe it. I didn't think edge was ever that fast. I ran it again on my 8700 and got 395kbs.

athreya
01-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Athreya, I did a bandwidth test on cnet and here are the results.
700w - 408kbs
8700 - 381kbs (on TMO's network)

Personally, I don't believe it. I didn't think edge was ever that fast. I ran it again on my 8700 and got 395kbs.

thanks a lot. that sounds a little odd because EVDO is supposed to give 700-800 kbps.. r u sure?

udontknowjack
01-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Athreya, I agree. My evdo wireless card for my laptop is consistently 700kbs or faster. I just ran it again on my 700w and it came back 340kbs. It could be evdo is having issues in my area today, I guess.

athreya
01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Athreya, I agree. My evdo wireless card for my laptop is consistently 700kbs or faster. I just ran it again on my 700w and it came back 340kbs. It could be evdo is having issues in my area today, I guess.

but if that is the case shouldnt your card also be giving you the same speed of around 340 or so? must be something else

Do you have both the 700w and the 8700 (lucky guy!)...can you try skype or something similar or both and tell us the results?

athreya
02-01-2006, 06:44 AM

Can you perhaps check it out today ?thanks

mortgageguy
02-01-2006, 07:50 AM
My impression, from what I've read, is that the device goes a really long way toward making Windows Mobile and Treo useful but it's just not quite there and to wait for the next release (750w?).

I love my Blackberry to death, but once there is a device that is as stable, has push mail, a good keyboard, and tons of software (i.e. Windows Mobile), my allegiance to BB will break.

A total aside, but as usual, Microsoft is biding its time, starting with a crappy product and slowly but surely listening to user feedback and creating a really compelling product. Windows Mobile is definitely going to take over the mobile market by Windows Mobile 7.x...

That's the problem with Palm/PalmOne they don't listen! Ever since the Treo 600 came out, users have been saying "oh they will fix it in the next release." then comes the 650 with even more problems than the 600.

What someTreo users seem so forget( I was a 650 user too), because they are so caught up in "what my 650 or 700 can do and how great the screen looks is "stability" of the device. Plain and simple if a device is not stable it's worthless. The 650 to me is worthless and the jury is still out on the 700 but it appears it is going to be just as unstable as the 650.

For all those that are going to respond with "well my 650/700 doesn't ever crash" just do a simple forum comparison. Jump on over to TreoCentral and look at the huge number of "problem posts" compared to this board.

takeshi
02-01-2006, 08:50 AM
What someTreo users seem so forget( I was a 650 user too), because they are so caught up in "what my 650 or 700 can do and how great the screen looks is "stability" of the device. Plain and simple if a device is not stable it's worthless. The 650 to me is worthless and the jury is still out on the 700 but it appears it is going to be just as unstable as the 650.

That's my biggest concern with the Treos. If someone can convince me that they've drastically improved stability, I'd take a look but they really haven't improved much over the years. Cameras, SD slots, multimedia support, and a ton of apps is great but worthless to me if the device isn't stable.

tommeltzer
02-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Had the Treo 700w for several days. It is more 'gadgety', however, I found it less useful than the various BB's I have owned. Navigating all the different capabilities of the 700w seemed tedious as compared to the 7130 or 8700. If the majority use of your device is the push email, than BB is the clear winner.

kmehling
02-01-2006, 12:00 PM
I just can't believe they haven't released the upgrade to enable push email via Exchange 2003 SP2. We run Verizon stuff at my office and I want to get one just to try it out because people here are pissed with how slow the 7750's are, don't like the form factor of the 7250's, and don't like the non-full QWERTY keyboard on the 7130e's.

Where does that leave us? The 8700 but that may not be offered through Verizon until the summer and people are clammoring for something else. The Treo seems like an obvious alternative for those who want more mutlimedia features, but without push email and wireless synch to Outlook via Exchange, it's got nothing.

My .02 and rumormill tells me that Microsoft is going to get hit with the same patent (or similar) infringement, hence, why they haven't released the upgrade to enable push email.

athreya
02-02-2006, 06:57 AM
I just can't believe they haven't released the upgrade to enable push email via Exchange 2003 SP2. We run Verizon stuff at my office and I want to get one just to try it out because people here are pissed with how slow the 7750's are, don't like the form factor of the 7250's, and don't like the non-full QWERTY keyboard on the 7130e's.

Where does that leave us? The 8700 but that may not be offered through Verizon until the summer and people are clammoring for something else. The Treo seems like an obvious alternative for those who want more mutlimedia features, but without push email and wireless synch to Outlook via Exchange, it's got nothing.

My .02 and rumormill tells me that Microsoft is going to get hit with the same patent (or similar) infringement, hence, why they haven't released the upgrade to enable push email.

couldnt agree more.

madcow
02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
A good portion of my Treo users complain about stability, rebooting, crappy email, et al. Most of this has been covered already. To me the trackwheel is still the number one reason to stick with the BB followed by the reliability of the BB over mp3's and a crappy camera.

jg70124
02-05-2006, 04:23 PM
You are factually wrong.
1. There is no Chatter mail for Treo 700w. On the website, Marc, their developer has categoriclaly said that he doesnt plan to develop one for it.

2. CDMA is available: In India Reliance and BSNL offer it, it is offered in parts of Latin America, Africa and Europe.

3. The 700w is supposed to be Palm's answer to those who wanted to be on their corporate infrastructure and didnt have BBs.

4. Any thoughts on the keyboard?

5.Screen: I thought on treo one has to scroll instead of having to scroll sideways.

1. I stand corrected - I was under the impression Marc was porting Chatter.

2. True. But in general, GSM is much more wide-spread. Most of my travel is to countries in Europe and Asia that only have GSM. On top of which, I don't believe US CDMA phones are compatible with CDMA networks in LatAm or Europe.

4. I find little difference in the two keyboards in terms of key feel or layout. I like that on the Palm, a double press of the Alt or Caps keys locks them - I couldn't figure out an equivalent on the BB. But I like that the BB has a hard key for the speakerphone, which the Palm does not.

5. True. But I still prefer the Treo's way of rendering HTML to the BB's, which I found incomprehensible.

(I gave back the BB yesterday so I can't do a straight comparison any more).

athreya
02-05-2006, 10:25 PM
1. I stand corrected - I was under the impression Marc was porting Chatter.

2. True. But in general, GSM is much more wide-spread. Most of my travel is to countries in Europe and Asia that only have GSM. On top of which, I don't believe US CDMA phones are compatible with CDMA networks in LatAm or Europe.

4. I find little difference in the two keyboards in terms of key feel or layout. I like that on the Palm, a double press of the Alt or Caps keys locks them - I couldn't figure out an equivalent on the BB. But I like that the BB has a hard key for the speakerphone, which the Palm does not.

5. True. But I still prefer the Treo's way of rendering HTML to the BB's, which I found incomprehensible.

(I gave back the BB yesterday so I can't do a straight comparison any more).

yeah but the BB keys are better spaced out because the device is wider.

redtarga
03-03-2006, 05:05 AM
swwang,

Can your 8700c read Chinese? I just got my 8700c, but need to somehow enable it to read Chinese emails. Like you, I also got the unlimited international roaming/data plan.

I read that it might be possible to download and install CSL's BB software pkg to enable non-CSL 8700's to read Chinese emails.

Did you try it?

Any suggestions?

junior1790
03-25-2006, 01:50 PM
I recently made the switch to the 8700c, i had a treo 650 and then the 700w from it's release. 650 from verizon was almost useless as it rebooted all, even after numerous firmware updates and all that jazz. I'm back to have two devices, verizon razr and a cingular BB, makes more sense for me. The BB is 1000% more stable than any other "smartphone" i have seen or used. The general usability of the BB format, especially the 8700, leaves no comparison, 8700 all day!!!

Sk8Surfr
03-25-2006, 06:47 PM
bling bling device? (Treo)

Bling Bling? HOW!!! I had the 650 a year ago!! Its sooooo old

And you walk around and EVERYONE has one!!

For me i HATE when everyone has the same phone! They get theirs cause its now free... People like US get our phones when they come out!!!

AGAIN 8700 MUCH MUCH better then my old treo 650

AlbertoM
03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Bling Bling? HOW!!! I had the 650 a year ago!! Its sooooo old

And you walk around and EVERYONE has one!!

For me i HATE when everyone has the same phone! They get theirs cause its now free... People like US get our phones when they come out!!!

AGAIN 8700 MUCH MUCH better then my old treo 650

Actually people like US (whatever THAT is) get whichever is the best device that suits our purposes....

Go and spend $3000USD for the Dolce & Gabanna gold Razr. It is a very limited edition and only 1000 very shallow and very rich people will own one.

Be the first!

Personally, I can't think of a shallower reason to own a phone/PDA/BlackBerry/Coverged device than that it is something that nobody else has. It is a tool. Tool. Like a screwdriver or a calculator.

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/gold-razr-is-so-hot-142006.php

AlbertoM
03-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Athreya: I must admit I had never head of Dual Nam before. However, if the phone is CDMA rather than GSM, two numbers will not help when overseas. You need a GSM phone for overseas use, which means no Verizon or Sprint, which means no EVDO.

I believe that dual NAM is useful with phones other than GSM, where you can't change SIM's.

Boy Genius
03-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Actually people like US (whatever THAT is) get whichever is the best device that suits our purposes....

Go and spend $3000USD for the Dolce & Gabanna gold Razr. It is a very limited edition and only 1000 very shallow and very rich people will own one.

Be the first!

Personally, I can't think of a shallower reason to own a phone/PDA/BlackBerry/Coverged device than that it is something that nobody else has. It is a tool. Tool. Like a screwdriver or a calculator.

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/gold-razr-is-so-hot-142006.php

Come on cheap shot!!! Haaaa

celltester
03-25-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't consider myself and expert on any device, except maybe the 7250...BUT, it is my job to learn the basic ins and outs, ups and downs, and faults of most handhelds and cell phones. I work for a cell company the sells both Treo & Blackberry, bottome line is I see more Treos brought back because of crash issues, sync issues, and OS stability issues than the Blackberry. Even Windows Mobile 5.0 sucks, the worst actually! Blackberry is by far the most reliable and I try to tell my customers up front that they would be better off with the blackberry, but some just won't listen...until their Treo starts crashing, freezing up, etc.

Now, I am not saying RIM doesn't have issues of their own (excluding recent settled law suits), but their issues with Blackberries are slim to none compared to Palm/Windows products at this present time. BBs tend to be more durable, easier to troubleshoot (when needed ) and overall more efficient.

Plus, not that it hasn't been mentioned 82,000 times in this thread already, PUSH EMAIL MAN!!!! Treo, nor any other make will never come out with something remotely close to the effectiveness of Blackberries email system, just won't happen.

:space:

PS
Dual NAM allows for two numbers, doesn't depict whether or not you can go over seas, you need to have GSM to go overseas. CDMA will work, just isn't as broad as GSM.

AlbertoM
03-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Come on cheap shot!!! Haaaa
:-P :wink: :smile:

SeattleSE
03-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Overseas where? You can't use it in Europe because it isn't GSM/UMTS. The last time I was in South Korea, Verizon CDMA wasn't interoperable with Korean CDMA (different pilots or something). Maybe it would work in Australia although I don't think so because I think they use SIM based authentication for CDMA too. I don't go to South America, so I don't know. Japan, probably not. If you travel overseas, the 700w is more or less usless, AFAIK. Unless, of course, "overseas" means "Canada and Mexico". Whereas my 8700c (on Tmobile) works great. I'm even getting some EDGE coverage in Finland right now. If you need to travel but want EVDO in the USA, the only real solution is the Samsung i830 right now. EVDO is much, much faster than EDGE but I'm keeping my 8700.

Cheers,

Jim

i mentioned the email. One handed operation appears to be quite decent according to lots of users. And the 700w is Dual Nam (which means you can use it overseas) for it will support two phone numbers.

Starz26
03-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I recommend the review in the following thread:

hxxp://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=105733

The 700 definitely has its strong points but I would never give up my 8700. I absolutely LOVE my 8700.

it is amusing that the biggest complaint was the fact that the reset button is not eaisly accessable. Speaks volumes in itself about the device! LOL

moon12345
03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
I think that most of the reviews here are disingenous towards the 700w. I support both Blackberrys and Treo 700w's. Most of my complaints about the 700w's come from former Blackberry users who want the device to work the way that their blackberry does. It is a totally different animal.

I have used Pocket PC's for the last 5 years and found the treo 700w very simple to use. I have very litte to no stability issues with my device. Then again I only run programs and utilities that I know will not crash the device. If you are using a blackberry there are no where near the number of third party apps available. Most of the apps written for the blackberry are very stable because there is a lot less flexability in the OS.

That is why you don't see MP3 players, Video players, VoIP apps, etc. When people load all of this stuff on a Treo, there are bound to be issues that will crop up. The one utility that I really recommend for almost all Treo 700w users is SPB Pocket Plus.

In any event, the Treo 700w is a solid device when it is used as intended. Many people try to dis it. If you used it just for e-mail like most people do with a Blackberry then it is just as solid.

As for instant push e-mail, with Exchange 2003 and the AUTD (Always up to date) feature I get e-mails just as fast as with the Blackberry. Verizon has a plan called the PDA SMS 2k package that gives you a ton of free incoming SMS messages so there is no large SMS bill (I have not gone over 2000 messages yet, but I have seen posts from others and they have had over 3000 sms and have not been billed for any).

In addition you are able to sync calendar, contacts and E-mail all OTA. New appointment is entered in Outlook, Bam SMS to phone and it syncs OTA and the appointment is on my Treo 700w. This works very well.

I would be willing to bet many of the people dissing the 700w are those that have POP mail accounts that need to be polled. This device was not built nor intended for them as primary users. It was built to sync with Exchange server 2003. Once you get your head around what it was built for and use all of the tools available, it works very well.

junior1790
03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Moon, opinions are great and they all vary around thid forum. I was a dedicated treo user and anticipated the treo 700w release as much as the next treonaught. to make a long story short my treo has just sold on e-bay and i could not possibly be happier with the 8700. i had a 7130 and was not a fan but this device (8700) is almost flawless. Many comparisons can made to the two devices but to say "In any event, the Treo 700w is a solid device when it is used as intended. Many people try to dis it. If you used it just for e-mail like most people do with a Blackberry then it is just as solid.
"

I would feel as if i did an injustice to new bb users by letting them believe that were to be true. The e-mail functionality is where the 2 devices differ the most, c'mon people way in here please...

Nicky
04-09-2006, 02:47 AM
Hi
I am a new member and i just love this site.I am looking for help in putting Skype on my Blackberry

dc/dc
04-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Hi
I am a new member and i just love this site.I am looking for help in putting Skype on my Blackberry

And that has nothing to do with the Treo 700w, which was the original topic of this thread.

Have you made use of the search feature on this forum yet? If you have, and have not found information that answers your question, consider posting your own topic in the section entitled, "Aftermarket Software".

Thank you, and welcome.

digital/blasphemy
04-09-2006, 04:04 AM
First: If you're looking for a phone to be used overseas, the 700w is not the device. plain and simple. United states CDMA networks are different from CDMA networks in Korea, Australia, etc.

People, it's in the name: GSM--Global System for Mobile communication

second: The concept of actually accepting two or more resets a day as normal is utterly rediculous. I don't know about the rest of you, but I expect a device to function as it's intended, without the need to reset it a few times everyday.. Especially in a cellphone. Functionality comes before any kind of fancy 3rd party apps. What good is Skype when you never know if you're going to have to reset the device in the middle of VOIPing?

henare
04-09-2006, 04:51 AM
In any event, the Treo 700w is a solid device when it is used as intended. Many people try to dis it. If you used it just for e-mail like most people do with a Blackberry then it is just as solid.

the whole *point* of this platform is to give users the flexibility to do dramatically more than just email. if the device isn't stable when you view maps, or play mp3s, ..., then it has failed.

the previous treo platforms (based on palm os) had their own flakiness.

dc/dc
04-09-2006, 05:03 AM
First: If you're looking for a phone to be used overseas, the 700w is not the device. plain and simple. United states CDMA networks are different from CDMA networks in Korea, Australia, etc.

People, it's in the name: GSM--Global System for Mobile communication

second: The concept of actually accepting two or more resets a day as normal is utterly rediculous. I don't know about the rest of you, but I expect a device to function as it's intended, without the need to reset it a few times everyday.. Especially in a cellphone. Functionality comes before any kind of fancy 3rd party apps. What good is Skype when you never know if you're going to have to reset the device in the middle of VOIPing?

You're not totally correct.

The SK Telecom network in the Republic of Korea operates CDMA 1X EVDO 800, which is the exact protocol that much of the Verizon Wireless nationwide network operates. Thus, telephones sold by Verizon that include that band may be used in Korea.

digital/blasphemy
04-09-2006, 05:06 AM
You're not totally correct.

The SK Telecom network in the Republic of Korea operates CDMA 1X EVDO 800, which is the exact protocol that much of the Verizon Wireless nationwide network operates. Thus, telephones sold by Verizon that include that band may be used in Korea.

I stand corrected on that point. but as a general rule, if you're looking for a worldwide phone, always go with GSM over CDMA