PDA

View Full Version : 8700c Holster (i'm about to kill)

senofed
01-29-2006, 11:11 PM
i just got an 8700c day before yesterday. i absolutely LOVE this phone! but i absolutely hate the holster that it comes with for one reason only:

everytime i slip the phone back into the holster it presses random buttons, such as a numeric button and opens up the dialer, or it presses the # and keeps the "assign a speed dial to the P key" and stays open. i just made a drive from clermont to orlando (in florida).. which is about 20 minutes and the screen didn't turn off once. i either have to put it into the holster real fast so it doesn't press anything, or hold down the End Call button and drop it in there, then let it go.. but sometimes that doesn't work..

any work arounds? because the holster is fine but that one reason.

coreyg510
01-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Key lock?

dwlace01
01-29-2006, 11:21 PM
i just got an 8700c day before yesterday. i absolutely LOVE this phone! but i absolutely hate the holster that it comes with for one reason only:

everytime i slip the phone back into the holster it presses random buttons, such as a numeric button and opens up the dialer, or it presses the # and keeps the "assign a speed dial to the P key" and stays open. i just made a drive from clermont to orlando (in florida).. which is about 20 minutes and the screen didn't turn off once. i either have to put it into the holster real fast so it doesn't press anything, or hold down the End Call button and drop it in there, then let it go.. but sometimes that doesn't work..

any work arounds? because the holster is fine but that one reason.

the phone should be facedown in the holster...if the P button is being pushed that tells me that you have it turned around the wrong way. turn the phone around.

senofed
01-29-2006, 11:21 PM
haha what's the keylock keystroke? i had no idea it had one.

coreyg510
01-29-2006, 11:24 PM
If you disable dial from home screen, you can press K otherwise you can enable the phone to lock when placed in a holster

senofed
01-29-2006, 11:26 PM
haha i love you guys. thank you so much!

atuarre2
01-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Are you sure the phone should be face down in the holster? I tried it your way and when I finally got i tback out, the protective plastic (yes, I still have mine) has a big scratch across it, and had it not been there, my screen would have taken that scratch.

coreyg510
01-29-2006, 11:28 PM
You may have put it in wrong. The back of the BB should face out. the screen should be against the hoslter.

atuarre2
01-29-2006, 11:37 PM
No. I put it in just like you told the other guy to. I normally put it in face outward. I tried it your way, as I think I mentioned in the previous post I made.

coreyg510
01-29-2006, 11:40 PM
The 8700 at least, is not supposed to be faced outwards. The function of the holster is to put it in sleep mode. To do that the face has to be inwards. Not to mention that when you put the face outwards it presses on the outside keys

atuarre2
01-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I am just telling you what happened when I tried it the way you instructed.

coreyg510
01-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Then you may want to invest in a leather case or such. They have really stylish ones available. Good thing for the plastic on your screen

kjaslow
01-30-2006, 02:23 AM
If this isn't obvious...the unit goes in the holster with the screen on top, and keys on the bottom. If you put it in right, you'll know, becuase it will slide in like it was meant to go in that way.

And for the record, another way to initiate the lock is (from the home screen) alt+enter...

senofed
01-30-2006, 05:08 AM
YO! didn't you read about 7 posts ago i figured it out?

AlbertoM
01-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I found it easier to set the center button (the one between the green and the red buttons) to activate the key lock - so now I always lock the keys.

coreyg510
01-30-2006, 10:43 AM
I personally never liked the key lock. I never acci-call someone. It is more of a hassel for me to unlock.

joginder
01-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Every BB that came in market goes face-inward in the holster. -:) LOL
Also I would not waste the extra key for just locking the device. For that there is a bulit in "K" key.
I have my coonvenience keys set to Address book and Internet

johnfromphilly
01-30-2006, 06:12 PM

Are you sure about the 7100? I had that for a week or 2 and it was face out for sleep mode and fit perfectly in the OEM case that way. The case covers the whole device with the 7100.

That was just such a bold statement and I think it may be incorrect but I am new so if I am wrong so be it.

AlbertoM
01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Also I would not waste the extra key for just locking the device. For that there is a bulit in "K" key.
I have my coonvenience keys set to Address book and Internet
The 7100G goes into the holster either way, and goes to sleep as well. My K key is assigned to a speed dial. My side convenience key is assigned to Profiles (so I can take that off my menu) and my front convenience key is assigned to key lock.

Modeler
01-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Seriously, who would be careless enough to put a device on their belt with a HUGE fragile screen exposed to external impacts??? Of course the 8700 is supposed to go into the OEM holder face-in!

That protective plastic film that came on the screen was for shipping only. It is not intended to remain there for normal use.

johnfromphilly
01-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Seriously, who would be careless enough to put a device on their belt with a HUGE fragile screen exposed to external impacts??? Of course the 8700 is supposed to go into the OEM holder face-in!

That protective plastic film that came on the screen was for shipping only. It is not intended to remain there for normal use.
I am sorry we are not all as bright as you...

I had a 7100 for 2 weeks and it went in the holster face out-this was my first bb. I then recieved the 8700 and just slid it in the same way- it fit fine but I had the button press issues and no sleep mode etc...

That led me to look again at the holster and I switched it to face in ( after seeing posts about it also).

I guess I am a dope...seriously have some thought before posting- there are reasons people do what they do and they may not have thought it out- just slid it in without the deep thought process you seem to require of people.

nb_mitch
01-31-2006, 12:26 PM
I read this whole holster thread and not once did it mention the real problem with the holster. I gave up on the OEM holster about a month ago, because it wouldn't hold the 8700 in. I had it fall out 4 times. It just isn't secure enough, like the 7290 holster was. I have gone to a inexpensive leather holster, which protects the BB better and keeps it in place, even if it is a generic and a little loose, the flap keeps it in place.

johnfromphilly
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I read this whole holster thread and not once did it mention the real problem with the holster. I gave up on the OEM holster about a month ago, because it wouldn't hold the 8700 in. I had it fall out 4 times. It just isn't secure enough, like the 7290 holster was. I have gone to a inexpensive leather holster, which protects the BB better and keeps it in place, even if it is a generic and a little loose, the flap keeps it in place.

One of the little "clips" on the side broke off and I was forced to buy a holster at the airport for a 72XX that works ok- at least it puts it to sleep. By the way- it only works when put in face out- :).
I am waiting on the RIM cases....and waiting...

bb8700user2
01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
That big screen scratch that was mentioned may have come from the mold mark on the center of the rotating belt clip -- that faces the screen when the BB is put into the holster face inwards. Face inwards is the right way...although I too originally put it in face out, because that's the way every other phone I've had sat in its case-and-belt-clip.

Anyway...take a nail file or fine sandpaper and file down the protruding mark on the inside of the belt clip, get thee to a hardware store and pick up a paper of felt pads (for under lamps and bric-a-brac so they won't scratch tables). Put a felt pad on the inner face of the clip.

I've also heard of wear on the space bar and wear at the ear holes, so I tossed a couple of extra felt pads there on the holster. I got some PDA screen protectors and cut one down for the screen. Seems to work fine preventing scratches, and the felp pads may have made the phone more secure.

Haven't dropped it. Yet.

wingrove
03-13-2006, 05:27 AM
ahh fits much better now i put it that way round, never had a BB before so had no idea thats the way. hmm hate the case less now ;-)
jas