PDA

View Full Version : Help with text messaging.....

ctmed5408
01-30-2006, 04:15 AM
I know this sounds kind of dumb, but i can't figure out how to text message on my BB 7100i. Could someone tell me how I can text message with others who may or may not have BBs as well. Some just have regular cell phones with text messaging. Up until now I actually thought of myself as being pretty good with tech. stuff like this.

Thanks Much

packetknife
01-30-2006, 06:34 AM
I know this sounds kind of dumb, but i can't figure out how to text message on my BB 7100i. Could someone tell me how I can text message with others who may or may not have BBs as well. Some just have regular cell phones with text messaging. Up until now I actually thought of myself as being pretty good with tech. stuff like this.

I don't know about the 7100i but Nextel, as of one month ago, didn't support outbound SMS on a 7510 device (which I had). And inbound SMS didn't even identify the sender, it was just a plain message. This was an acknowledged weekness by Nextel when I repeatedly queried them about this glaring lack of a typical feature. You might be in the same boat if they didn't get it all resolved by 7100i. -Pk

Frank613
01-30-2006, 07:59 AM
The only way to send text messages with the 7100i, is sending in an email to the phone #'s address ,(ie, Verizon- 7182222222@<hidden> ,Cingular phone#@<hidden><, Tmobile-phone#@<hidden>, Nextel-phone#@<hidden> , Sprint-phone#messaging.sprintpcs.com , At&t- phone#@<hidden>, Alltell-phone#@<hidden>, Uscellular-phone#@<hidden>, Bellmobility-phone#@<hidden>, Tellus-phone#@<hidden>, Rogers-phone#@<hidden>) This will be helpful :)

shackk
01-30-2006, 08:58 AM
You also can use the xxxxxx@<hidden> so you do not have to remember each individual carriers extension.

martin_j001
01-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Actually, the 7100i does in fact support MMS. When you highlight a contact, you should have to choice to "Send MMS" in your drop down menu. If not, call Nextel and verify that MMS is provisioned on your device--they'll have you do a few other things to "refresh" your device, but that should take care of it. Keep in mind that sending MMS messages is not a feature included in your bb unlimited data plan. If you send text only you will be charged for "Enhanced Text Messaging" ($.10/message sent), if you send a picture message (true MMS) you will be charged $.25 for every message sent. You can always add a messaging package to your current plan if its a feature you plan to use a lot.

As stated already, you can use the phone number of the recipient with teleflip.com or with the carrier email extensions--this will be free, and is a more "sure" way of getting the message delivered (no carrier guarantees text messages to get through, while email is VERY standard by now).

ctmed5408
01-31-2006, 04:07 PM
I very much appreciate everyone's help. It's pretty clear to me now. Thanks especially Martin_j001, I wasn't aware that MMS isn't covered under the Nextel BB unlimited data plan. That bit of info. saved me some huge headaches. Thanks again for everything.

SmurfBerry
02-01-2006, 03:11 PM
That explains it....I just upgraded to the 7100i and I was wondering why the MMS wasn't working. SO I have to call Nextel and add it to my account for a monthly fee.

FLIP954RR
02-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

How much is Nextel's messaging service per month anyways? With Tmob I pay $60 a month and includes all.

jnyost
02-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Don't you mean SMS? Text messaging is SMS.

Jared

MAYOM
02-02-2006, 11:34 AM
thank you so much for this info. it really helped me!!! My BES admin disabled the text messaging function but know I have a way around it...