PDA

View Full Version : using an unlocked 8700 - questions

gweilo
01-30-2006, 07:16 PM
I live in Hong Kong and currently use a 7100v on the Vodafone network there.

I'm currently in the US and bought an unlocked (supposedly) 8700c which I plan to take back to HK to use. I just received it and am having trouble getting it to work. I may be asking dumb questions, but hope someone can help me.

I popped in my SIM card, booted up, and the network comes up 'Cingular - Smartone' (Smartone is the HK name for Voda). EDGE is showing as the network.

However, I cannot receive or send email - when I try to compose mail it says 'No Message Services Configured'.

The phone function DOES work. I thought maybe my problems has something to do with service books? I don't see the feature to have the network resend them to me as I do on my 7100. Do I need to tell my HK provider that I'm using a new BB? Am I missing something? Perhaps is my new BB NOT unlocked? (how can I tell if it's locked or not - I went into settings/adv options/SIM/ and it says security disabled).

Maybe I have to obtain a service book back in HK before I can roam with it?

Thanks for any help or advice.

rcbjr
01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
I believe that you will have to log into your BWC/BIS account and change the IMEI and PIN to your new phone. Then reregister using Options/Advanced Options/Host Routing Tables, Regester Now.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

patrickh
01-30-2006, 07:47 PM
If you are using a BES, then you have to do either enterprise activation or cradle it..

P

gweilo
01-30-2006, 08:23 PM
BINGO. Thank you. I went into the BIS webpage and set my profile to the new PIN and IMEI and everything works great now.

gweilo
01-30-2006, 08:23 PM
BINGO. Thank you. I went into the BIS webpage and set my profile to the new PIN and IMEI and everything works great now.

rcbjr
01-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Gllad to have been able to help.

Good luck
Rcbjr