PDA

View Full Version : IMAP Poll

sedated
01-31-2006, 02:12 AM
With the possible shutdown of BlackBerries, I had a quick poll that I wanted to bring up. I just got my 8700c and I LOVE it. It is a very well built device with a no nonsense interface which is great. I just wish it supported true IMAP. So now on to the meat of the thread.

One of the companies I own is a software development company and we are researching into possibly developing a new email client for BlackBerries. This came out of my own desire for this. We want to develop a application that support IMAP and POP. If you have IMAP 4 with support for the IDLE command you would get a push email like service (similar to Chatter on Palms). I want to see how many folks would be interested in this. If you are interested, then please share what you would like to see in the product. There are no guarantees we are going to develop it. Currently we are looking at what it would require to get into this world.

Any feedback would be great!

bostonnerd
01-31-2006, 07:11 AM
The only good thing I could say about my Treo 600 was Chatter! Having and IMAP client utilizing the Idle cmd , even for just backup, would be great.

Stinsonddog
01-31-2006, 08:20 AM
If not corporate buyers won't want it.

With the possible shutdown of BlackBerries, I had a quick poll that I wanted to bring up. I just got my 8700c and I LOVE it. It is a very well built device with a no nonsense interface which is great. I just wish it supported true IMAP. So now on to the meat of the thread.

One of the companies I own is a software development company and we are researching into possibly developing a new email client for BlackBerries. This came out of my own desire for this. We want to develop a application that support IMAP and POP. If you have IMAP 4 with support for the IDLE command you would get a push email like service (similar to Chatter on Palms). I want to see how many folks would be interested in this. If you are interested, then please share what you would like to see in the product. There are no guarantees we are going to develop it. Currently we are looking at what it would require to get into this world.

Any feedback would be great!

spoon
02-27-2006, 11:26 PM
IMAP can be run over SSL, so yea, it would offer a considerable level of security. But then again, is there really any such thing as 'secure'? :-)

BTW, isnt there already a few aftermarket POP/IMAP clients for BB? Doesnt Dynoplex offer one? I am not sure of the others atm.

An IMAP client that looks nice and supports the idle cmd would be the "poor man's" push technology. I think waiting a minute or two to see a new email is fine :-) Who really needs INSTANT email notification? I mean, you prolly dont even read that email INSTANTLY, so who cares!

I am totally FOR a GOOD IMAP client. I would PREFER IT.

Hmmm, $3,000 server software + $100 additional user licenses... or existing/free IMAP/SIMAP capable email server and free/minial-cost client software? Yea, lets see which one the CFO/COO/CEO likes better!

DuckWingDuck
02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Not that I'm a BES supporter but BES+Exchange offers more than just push email, it also offers calendar syncing, another item that is high in demand. But, I would love to see a good quality IMAP supported client.

cjhp
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
I too would love to see a well developed IMAP client. However, it must support SSL.

MarkB
03-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Yes, I would love to see an IMAP client. Like you, being involved in multiple companies, I have multiple corporate identities. My primary email is via a BES/Exchange integration, but I have also have an IMAP account from a different company and would love to get it on there.

In fact, the way I found this thread was by searching for an IMAP client. I guess that means that they don't exist now :( So when will yours ship!?!

jpcampbell
03-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm trying to decide between a BB and a Treo. A good IMAP client is the main feature I want and will probably be the deciding factor for me. I don't really care about true push email.

tfaz1
03-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I've been able (with the use of an additional mailbox and rules on my laptop) to reconcile every message sent or received from my BlackBerry. True, only my laptop has every message, but I find that's good enough for me.

Ideally, the BlackBerry would support IMAP *and* push email. I would love to have both. But, in the meantime, I find this arrangement to be more than sufficient for organizing my email communication.

DuckWingDuck
03-27-2006, 12:18 PM
If you don't care about push, then go for the treo.

BBdjo
06-14-2006, 06:39 AM
I for one would gladly pay for a good, professionnal, BB IMAP client.

What I'd love to see :

- IMAP4
- SSL support even with self-signed certificates
- SMTP AUTH (even just PLAIN) over SSL.
- Abritrary ports for SMTP (using a high port allows to send mail even from networks that block port 25)
- Folders support of course.
- Some integration with the BB adress book / agenda.
- Optionnal IDLE, but that's not the main point. If we BB users want push, we know how to get it :-)

To me the emphasis would be on the words : robust, no fuss, proffessional and light weight.

I know this thread is quite old, but after having looked everywhere on the net, trying EmailViewer from Reqwireless (dead as it seem), I'm dying for a good BB IMAP client.

Thanks !