PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't My Filters Work On My 7130??

Kameraman
01-31-2006, 11:13 AM
I've tried everything I know of!! No matter what words, phrases or letters I put in my filters, my blackberry continues to send me everything!! I can't stop it!

It is possible to actually talk to a person at Blackberry without costing more than the phone? Do they have customer service??

OK. I have four filters set up: Spam, spam2, Spam3 & Spam4. The default is set to: "Default when no filters apply: Forward Messages to Handheld"

Inside each filter, it says, if ANY of these conditions are true: (Then I have the words listed under various conditions), Then do the following with the message: Move to folder Deleted Items. DO NOT forward messages to handheld.

Each are set up that way. I'm assuming that if there is something listed in the filters, that they are "on" and the messages have to pass through them first.

I still get some of the same messages that I filtered and more with the same wording.

Probably 50 - 75 a day!!

I'm spending all my time erasing entries and putting up new filters. My email comes from comcast.

Thanks,

codyman
01-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Did you set these filters up in Desktop Manager?

Kameraman
01-31-2006, 12:09 PM
I set them up in the Blackberry Webclient from Verizon. I didn't see any way to set filters up in the desktop manager. Is that where they are supposed to be?

KonTiki
01-31-2006, 12:22 PM
I always had damned trouble with the filters at the VZW site, I guess I was not smart enough to figure out how to use them properly (logic). What i did and killed a few birds with one stone was set up a gmail account and forward all my different emails there, then forward that in turn to the BlackBerry email. What that did for me was first, combine all into one and leaving copies there if i needed them, it also let me take advantage of the great spam filters available at gmail, and finally it let me set filters that I could manage with ease. An all in one solution for me.

Kameraman
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Where do I find Gmail?

Kameraman
01-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Never Mind...I got it!

Thanks. Still seems like the Blackberry filters should actually work!!

codyman
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok, I just tested it and it does work. Here is what I did:

On the vzw BIS site I created a filter called test. The conditions are:

if ANY of these conditions are true:

body contains hair (hair was just a random word I used).

Move to deleted folders
Do not send to handheld

Then I sent three e-mails to my vzw.blackberry.net account.

1st was a test and did not contain the word 'hair'
2nd had the word 'hair' in the message body
3rd was a test that did not contain the word 'hair'

1st and 3rd were delivered to my 7130e.
2nd was not delivered and, in the BIS mail, was moved to deleted items.

So, it does work.

You might want to check that you used the if ANY in the box above the conditions.

I also sent you this in a PM

Kameraman
01-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Ok...I did the same thing. I used the word water. All three came to my BB. If I change the default setting to "do not send to handheld", it will block them.

What's interesting is that anything filtered is supposed to go to my Deleated folder. It doesn't. It's in the InBox. Are the boxes supposed to be checked or is something supposed to be "turned on"?

Thanks for the test advice. It showed me how it's not working.

codyman
01-31-2006, 05:35 PM
so, make sure you have the option move to folder set to deleted items.

Kameraman
01-31-2006, 05:51 PM
I have: "If ANY of these conditions are true:"

Then do the following with the message:

Kameraman
01-31-2006, 05:52 PM
sorry:

Move folder to Deleted Items

Do NOT forward messages to handheld

Kameraman
01-31-2006, 05:53 PM
do you put commas or colons or anything between the words in the filter list?

codyman
02-01-2006, 08:07 AM
I have not tried it with multiple words seperated by commas, colons, or semi colons - you will need to experiment.

You might want to start with seperate words in each condition - I think you can have up to 4 conditions, then try setting up multiple filters to get all the words covered that you want.

Let me know how it works for you - PM me if you need to.

Steve

Kameraman
02-01-2006, 08:39 AM
My hats off to KonTiki!!!! Gmail ROCKS!! That's the only way to do it. I set up the account last night. Transferred the filters from my BlackBerry Web client to the Gmail. This morning I had 1 message from a client and .....................20 spams in the delete folder!!!! It got every one!

It's early, but it looks like that's the only way to go!

Thanks to Codyman & Kontiki for their help!