PDA

View Full Version : 8700C: I don't get it

PoopEater
01-31-2006, 10:47 PM
I just got a 8700C with cingular. Actually, it's for work, but the provider is cingular. I don't get it. What does this thing do? I have the following questions:

1. What does this thing do that justifies it having a 300MHz processor?
2. Why does this thing only have 64MB of memory, with no expandability? Why do people buy these things?
3. Can I get games or other themes or a video player or something to work with this?

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I don't see the big deal. My old old first gen RIM blackberry that ran off of a single AA battery does all the stuff that this does, and it has a much slower processor, less memory, etc. I just don't get it. So far, I am very unimpressed.

canesfins
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
The biggest benefit of the 8700 is EDGE for web browsing

KonTiki
01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Between not bothering to read the manuals, or become informed, and wanting games to use on yur Company provided device (which I would Imagine is given to you to work with), and that very foretelling nickname you picked, its a wonder you even know its a Blackberry at all. Next thing is when you find out that the ringtones are not to your liking or that the themes are not the ones you like your next post will be asking us what to do next, heaven forfend that you might want to try and find out things on your own. Geez.

Seattle18
01-31-2006, 11:07 PM
I agree, it sucks. Do I as am going to do am get rid of it and go back to some Moto with lots of cool gimmicks. Who needs these things anyway? What a waste...

(PS - those of you who are "in the know" disregard - this post is intended for the clueless only.)

dallasaudiguy
01-31-2006, 11:20 PM
I just got a 8700C with cingular. Actually, it's for work, but the provider is cingular. I don't get it. What does this thing do? I have the following questions:

2. Why does this thing only have 64MB of memory, with no expandability? Why do people buy these things?
3. Can I get games or other themes or a video player or something to work with this?

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I don't see the big deal. My old old first gen RIM blackberry that ran off of a single AA battery does all the stuff that this does, and it has a much slower processor, less memory, etc. I just don't get it. So far, I am very unimpressed.

classic trolling

I give it an 85..nice beat - easy to dance to!

PoopEater
01-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Between not bothering to read the manuals, or become informed, and wanting games to use on yur Company provided device (which I would Imagine is given to you to work with), and that very foretelling nickname you picked, its a wonder you even know its a Blackberry at all. Next thing is when you find out that the ringtones are not to your liking or that the themes are not the ones you like your next post will be asking us what to do next, heaven forfend that you might want to try and find out things on your own. Geez.
I read the quickstart manual (the only thing it came with), and I don't actually want to play games. I want to understand why it has such a fast processor, and why everyone clamors over them even though it has such limited expandability and limited memory. I don't understand what the great benefit is.

I am here TRYING to become informed. How do you think people become informed? Did you just wake up one day knowing everything about the blackberry? How about giving me some links so that I can become informed instead of being a prick?

PoopEater
01-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Further, let me give you an example of a device that I feel is well worth the price. My buddy has a Zodiac (they are discontinued, but you can pick one up for ~$125). It comes with 128MB standard (2x the amount of the 8700c), and palm OS. On top of the on board memory, it has two SD slots which will allow SD cards. One of the slots even takes different types of wireless cards. The unit functions beautifully as a PDA. Scheduling, notes, etc, are all handled.

The unit has a HUGE, beautiful high resolution screen, an analog joystick, touch sensitive screen, the works. It runs Palm OS, and has thousands of applications that you can run on it. He has game emulators, currency converters, scientific calculators, pretty much ANYTHING you could possibly want, it does. It will even play divx and xvid encoded video files.

I am giving this example, because the Zodiac is a phenominal machine. It came out three years ago, and far far FAR eclipses the capabilities of this 8700c, as far as I can tell. Can someone please tell me (or send me links) showing some of these types of things that the 8700c can do? I am not trolling, I am really trying to understand this.

VidGameKing
02-01-2006, 12:08 AM
the 8700c has a fast processor so it can handle browsing the web faster and larger e-mails and attachments. the 300MHz processor is actually pretty slow in the world of PDAs. It's not a super fancy PocketPC or Killer Palm LifeDrive But as a little e-mail device and for having real-time access to outlook and being able to look up maps on Google or looking up a "wiki" it's perfect!

Unlike traditional PDAs the Blackberry is not about expandability or upgradeability it's about core functionality. Like an original PalmOS handheld. That and it's about e-mail. For me I CAN NOT LIVE WITHOUT 100% always on up to the second e-mail access 24 hours a day! no other handheld provides that with the level of simplicity and implementation that Research In Motion provides with BES and Blackberry.

I used to own a Handspring Visor Deluxe, Dell Axim X5, and a Motorola MPx220 (Windows SmartPhone) but they didn't provide the e-mail which is what I must have.

It's superior to the older model BlackBerries in that it's faster, and has a faster internet connection and has a better looking screen, and a niftier looking keyboard. thats why people oogle over it.

PoopEater
02-01-2006, 12:13 AM
the 8700c has a fast processor so it can handle browsing the web faster and larger e-mails and attachments. the 300MHz processor is actually pretty slow in the world of PDAs. It's not a super fancy PocketPC or Killer Palm LifeDrive But as a little e-mail device and for having real-time access to outlook and being able to look up maps on Google or looking up a "wiki" it's perfect!

Unlike traditional PDAs the Blackberry is not about expandability or upgradeability it's about core functionality. Like an original PalmOS handheld. That and it's about e-mail. For me I CAN NOT LIVE WITHOUT 100% always on up to the second e-mail access 24 hours a day! no other handheld provides that with the level of simplicity and implementation that Research In Motion provides with BES and Blackberry.

I used to own a Handspring Visor Deluxe, Dell Axim X5, and a Motorola MPx220 (Windows SmartPhone) but they didn't provide the e-mail which is what I must have.

It's superior to the older model BlackBerries in that it's faster, and has a faster internet connection and has a better looking screen, and a niftier looking keyboard. thats why people oogle over it.
Thank you for the straight answer. I actually like the keyboard less on the 8700c than my old 6280. I can't type as fast on it. Maybe I just need to get used to it. It's funny because I liked my old, old RIM (based on a 386, forget the model #) keyboard better than the 6280. IMO, the keyboards just keep getting worse :D

Sparkomatic
02-01-2006, 12:14 AM
VidGameKing, well said!

PoopEater, I think you'll find most on here have BB's for the core purpose of true push email that only BB's can deliver right now. I too have had several other devices and the 8700 has been the best so far.

sfla99
02-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Well,

I came from a Treo650 to the 8700C and like others have said, I need it for true push mail, sure the 650 has chatter but its just not the same. I had my 650 for a few months and suffered with the ageing and antiquated PalmOS which caused the 650 to suffer greatly with problems on a daily basis in regards to reserts, crashes and instability issues beyond ones wildest imagination, and the 650 was full of endless gadget features and expandability.

The 8700C on the other hand does its most important function incredible efficient and well every time. I get email, it shows up in a matter of seconds, case closed. No hassles, no crashes, no errors trying to log on and download all my emails every hour, its on the go realtime mail.

Lets put it this way, if email is your numero uno, then the BB can not be beat at the moment. Now, lets touch a few other nice features of why the 8700 is so loved. BT, the BT in the 8700C works VERY well with a wide range of decives and sounds great, my 650 would go in an endless reset loop any time I tried to pair it with my BMW and would not properly transfer info to the car such as phone book, the 8700C however does this perfectly everytime.

The only time I need BT is in the car, when I get a business call that takes a while I would rather do it hands free, be able to dial from my car, have caller ID and the works.

Another shining point of the 8700C is the call quality, this device imo sounds every bit as good as a stand alone cell phone. The call RF is great, the calls are clear and the volume is good, its a huge step up from the 7100 series.

Add to this EDGE for the quick online search here and there, a great battery life span, and the ne high res screen with a much more vivid and bright display, rolled that up into a price thats about 250.00 retail with new activation and its a no-brainer for the person who wants a solid device for phone/light PDA/email.

Simple enough.

Chers!

Seattle18
02-01-2006, 01:50 AM
^^^ Perfectly stated, and I would add the speakerphone that works tremendously.

mas90guru
02-01-2006, 05:40 AM
The main issue with the Treo type devices, is if you load up on 3rd party software (their main selling point) - they tend to become less stable with random reboots, etc.

The BB, while not as expandable - performs it's single task rather well and also does a very good job of synching to Outlook or Lotus Notes. The device is highly stable given that there aren't a ton of mis-behaved third party applications.

If you don't need email - then the BB is something that you probably should pass by.

Another downside to the BB is that they all have to be used with a BB specific data plan whereas the Treo and other smartphones typically run over the data network.

AlbertoM
02-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Can someone please tell me (or send me links) showing some of these types of things that the 8700c can do? I am not trolling, I am really trying to understand this.
Try searching - or heck - just do like the rest of us did and read the posts and stop trolling.

dc/dc
02-01-2006, 08:58 AM
PoopEater, I can only assume you are an old engineer. I say that because you essentially are asking why the sky is blue when trying to analyze why the 8700 has such a fast processor, and the fact that you are resistant to change indicates your age.

Who really gives a rats blue bottom why the 8700 has a fast processor? It's called progress. The goal of progress is to improve things.

I'd be willing to bet you're still running Windows 95 on your home PC.

KonTiki
02-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I read the quickstart manual (the only thing it came with), and I don't actually want to play games. I want to understand why it has such a fast processor, and why everyone clamors over them even though it has such limited expandability and limited memory. I don't understand what the great benefit is.

I am here TRYING to become informed. How do you think people become informed? Did you just wake up one day knowing everything about the blackberry? How about giving me some links so that I can become informed instead of being a prick?

Well if your idea of being a prick is for someone to be self motivated and willing to get off his fat a$$ and do some research by being willing to read rather than have someon hand me the answers then I am a prick. If on the other hand your idea is to sit around post and have people hand you things in a silver platter so you dont have to be bothered and waste your precious time that can be rather used in the highly intelligent and precocious philosophical undertakings of why 64 mbs when you dont need but 4 to run the most basic functions, then you are welcomed to this forum. Or maybe you can spend that precious time trying to figure out why the Zodiac being so far more advanced in your eyes tat is, was so ceremoniously discontinued. Now that said, have a good day and continue to enjoy your trolling, or becoming informed if that is what you prefer to call it.

NJBlackBerry
02-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Nice way to try and get information - insulting others.
Thread closed.

blkberryboy
02-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Well we tried 2 150MHz processors and they didnt fit as well
Well it's really 64,000Kb, but who's counting. Why do people buy these, thats a little tougher to answer, but it makes it perfect sense if you post here, dont you think?
Yes but only if its connected to a PC that has games and a video player, but that gets a little big to carry on your hip.

Seriously poo, the BB is just a tool, nothing will ever be all thing to all people thats why we have such variety. If you got one from work, i assume it was free, be greatfull you dont have to pay like some of us do.

DC & Kon...I still love you