PDA

View Full Version : Data Roaming in France on 3

ComputerKris
09-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone,

I am heading to France (from the UK) next week, and would like to be able to continue to receive my Emails on my BlackBerry Torch while I am there.

I have spoken to 3 and enabled International calling and data roaming while abroad. They assure me it will only cost £1.28 per megabyte and that my emails will continue to arrive as normal.

If this is true it is fantastic, and it seems that communicating via email will be cheaper than texting; however it all seems a little too easy and too cheap, after hearing many horror stories about data roaming in the past.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience of using a blackberry in Europe on the and the actual cost involved?

One final thing, the last two times I have been to France I have informed 3, and they have enabled international calling, but when I have got there and tried to make a call I get some French lady telling me something I do not understand and I have been unable to make calls. In both cases I have text my wife, see has contacted 3, but they have said the phone is setup correctly and that I can make calls???

In fairness on both occasions I had a Nokia phone and not a BlackBerry, but if anyone knows what is occurring here and how to solve the issue, other than learning French in the next 5 days I would be very grateful!!

Sorry if I not meant to put two questions in one post and thank you in advance for any help.

CK

dc/dc
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
You must ensure when dialing a number in the UK from another country that you are dialing the prefix +44.

I have a lot of experience roaming in Europe, and in general it is easy. However, roaming is roaming, and sometimes things don't work all the time. I have been roaming before and all of a sudden lost data service or even the full signal. I have even had my phone tell me my SIM was blocked, only for it to start working again after a reboot. Be aware that with data devices like BlackBerry, it can take up to ten minutes or more for your device to register on the foreign network the first time. One of the best things you can do when you arrive in a foreign country is pull the battery out of your device and put it back in to do a hard reset.

Foxglove
09-04-2011, 03:17 PM
The cost of roaming in the EU is becoming more reasonable and will get cheaper still with the new EU caps. From July 2012 is will be 83p per mb, 65p in 2013 falling to 45p in 2014. This is good.

The price of roaming outside the EU is still high though unfortunately byt when the networks wise up they will see that more afforable roaming = more users roaming so they are in effect quids in.

The £1.28 per mb from 3UK is correct. I'm paying that on my 3mifi device whilst I'm in Malta.

My blackberry however is on o2's new great rate of £1.50 for 15mb per day. This is more than enough for me. Maybe 3UK will bring in some better EU data bundles soon too.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile