PDA

View Full Version : Start up.

wellingtonboot
09-04-2011, 11:30 AM
When I've had the Blackberry turned off, and I turn it back on by pressing the red button on the right, it comes straight on ....instant....and has the 'call Orange' screen...which I then have to scroll to cancel to make that go away.

I saw somewhere that they take a few mins to power up and I wondered if by pressing the red button to put it off I'm maybe only putting it into sleep mode or something.

Is how it comes back on normal do you think?

Ang x

aiharkness
09-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes, when you shut down the way you describe you are not doing a full power off, and device does not have to boot the OS when turned back on. If you have a calendar or other reminder set, you will notice the device come on and give the alert when the reminder activates.

If you use the power off icon and you have a reminder or alarm set, you should be prompted whether to do a full power off or not. If you select full power off, the device will shut all the ay down and boot the OS when it is turned on again. That will take a while. The device will also not turn on when the activation time is reached for any alarms or alerts. If you select other, it will be like if you held the power button down to shut off. If you have no alarms or alerts set, you won't be prompted, I believe, and the device will do a full power off. But experiment and see.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

wellingtonboot
09-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the reply...:)

Ive seen the power off icon amongst the apps but have just been following the instructions it came with re off and on.

I've got no calender or reminders set...everything is still on yellow post-it notes lol..:)

I'll try the icon tonight and see how it goes...:)

Thanks again.
Ang x

wellingtonboot
09-05-2011, 04:47 AM
If you use the power off icon and you have a reminder or alarm set, you should be prompted whether to do a full power off or not. If you select full power off, the device will shut all the ay down and boot the OS when it is turned on again. That will take a while. The device will also not turn on when the activation time is reached for any alarms or alerts. If you select other, it will be like if you held the power button down to shut off.

If you have no alarms or alerts set, you won't be prompted, I believe, and the device will do a full power off. But experiment and see.

No.....neither of these happen, even using the power icon. I get no choice of how to switch off.

Doesn't matter how I try to turn it off I get the dissappearing Orange screen with it's shooting stars or whatever they are, it shuts down, but then when I turn back on the home screen is there instantly. No start up screen like when it re-boot/re-starts.

So for some reason mine is never actually going off, seems it's just going to sleep.

Ang x

aiharkness
09-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Ok, I remembered it wrong. I just tested and same thing. Should have tested before I posted. Whether "Turn Off" or "Full Power Off", the device is instant on and doesn't have to boot. Sorry.

For what it's worth, the other part is correct. If Full Power Off, the device will not come on for alarms and calendar and task alerts.

Sorry for confusing things.

wellingtonboot
09-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Hey...I remember nothing....so I know how you feel...:) Just glad of your help...:)

So whether I turn it off using the red phone button or whether I use the off icon it will still come on instantly...

Both just turn off the same with no choice and turn on the same...

Still, it's not a disapointment to me, cos I love the phone to bits...:0

Thanks again for your help..:)

Ang x

aiharkness
09-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Set the alarm and then try the power icon and see if you have a choice.

But yeah, it isn't really turned off unless you remove the battery.

Makes me remeber one time on a plane when the attendant was coming by telling everyone to turn off their phones, etc. Some guy near me had to volunteer that his phone doesn't turn off, and then he gets into an argument with the attendant, with her telling him to take the battery out. The guy couldn't have just stayed mum and put the phone away like everyone else.

wellingtonboot
09-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Mmmm...:?

Set the alarm and just to be on the safe side put a couple of calender events in too.

Used the icon to switch off and ....yipeeeeee.....I got the choice of full power off etc.

Chose the full power off and off it went...looking good me thinks...:)

Switched back on and it's still instant onto the desktop screen. But no matter, at least now I know that if for any reason I want to switch it off altogether then I nip the battery out. Can't just see why I'd want to though but I'm nosey and like to have all bases covered...lol..:)

Thanks...:)
Ang x