PDA

View Full Version : New Tips Site Page - Seeking Feedback

Stinsonddog
02-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Posted in the general forum, but want you all to see it. Please give me feedback.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=25427

johnfromphilly
02-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I am getting a BB forum,s error- but it shows message anyway- sorry...

johnfromphilly
02-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks Stinsongog!
I have 8700C on BIS
Use Gmail
Outlook Express @<hidden> home office

I have been using Gmail to get instant e-mail for awhile now but picked up a great tip from this update.

I now have my "sent from BB" mail sent and archived to my Outlook at the office. Up until now those e-mails were only on the BB and it made tracking e-mail discussions that I have on both BB and thru PC very hard.

Thanks for your work again!! (y)

johnfromphilly
02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Server problem keeps repeating -sorry

likefre
02-02-2006, 11:23 AM
i don't know if it's on your tips document but i could not find it.
On a web page, pressing the v key gives you the option to search within the web page

Stinsonddog
02-02-2006, 11:51 AM
thanks for the find.

i don't know if it's on your tips document but i could not find it.
On a web page, pressing the v key gives you the option to search within the web page

mriff
02-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Stinsonddog, this may be slightly off topic (ok, maybe way off), but when I sent mail from my old 7280, a copy was automatically sent to my Outlook sent folder (company has BES). I can't seem to figure out how to make this happen on my 8700. I've checked all the settings I can think of, but haven't found out how to do this yet. Any ideas? I could go like johnfromphilly did above, but it seems like a lot of steps to go through when my old device did it automatically.

KonTiki
02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
As always Stinsoddog, great effort on your part in putting this together and sharing it with the rest of us. I keep admiring the galliant effort put together by so many of you in bringing all of this to us. Thank You.

Stinsonddog
02-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Check Save Copy in Sent Folder

Stinsonddog, this may be slightly off topic (ok, maybe way off), but when I sent mail from my old 7280, a copy was automatically sent to my Outlook sent folder (company has BES). I can't seem to figure out how to make this happen on my 8700. I've checked all the settings I can think of, but haven't found out how to do this yet. Any ideas? I could go like johnfromphilly did above, but it seems like a lot of steps to go through when my old device did it automatically.

Stinsonddog
02-02-2006, 12:08 PM
I really didn't think I covered it all and was hoping others would give more advice. There were so many pieces of so many threads, but maybe I did pick out the relevant stuff.

Am looking at Freenews, IM+ and Webmessenger now.

As always Stinsoddog, great effort on your part in putting this together and sharing it with the rest of us. I keep admiring the galliant effort put together by so many of you in bringing all of this to us. Thank You.

mriff
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Check Save Copy in Sent Folder
Yep, it's checked, but still doesn't send copy to sent folder. Like I mentioned, it worked on my old 7280 but not my 8700. Would it by any chance have something to do with the version of BES we're running in the home office? I'll give the IT guys a call. Thanks.

And to keep this more on topic, I couldn't agree more. I've reviewed two documents to learn about the 8700, the RIM user manual and your tips document. Thanks for compiling all this great information in one place. (y)

Stinsonddog
02-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Don't know.

Yep, it's checked, but still doesn't send copy to sent folder. Like I mentioned, it worked on my old 7280 but not my 8700. Would it by any chance have something to do with the version of BES we're running in the home office? I'll give the IT guys a call. Thanks.

And to keep this more on topic, I couldn't agree more. I've reviewed two documents to learn about the 8700, the RIM user manual and your tips document. Thanks for compiling all this great information in one place. (y)

MobileAGBell
02-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Stinsonddog, thanks for compiling and sharing the knowledge, and helping educate the rest of us.

It may be my old eyes but the red type gets a bit fatiguing after about half a page. Maybe I should find the old 3D glasses I've got around here somewhere.

Anyway, thanks again for making this site an important part of my BB experience.

Stinsonddog
02-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Enjoy everyone.

Stinsonddog, thanks for compiling and sharing the knowledge, and helping educate the rest of us.

It may be my old eyes but the red type gets a bit fatiguing after about half a page. Maybe I should find the old 3D glasses I've got around here somewhere.

Anyway, thanks again for making this site an important part of my BB experience.

johnfromphilly
02-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Since you are looking to make it an all encompasing piece of work and are looking for feedback..here is an issue that came up today with the new GMAIL setting that keeps a copy of sent mail.

I am now getting that sent mail sent back to my BB as well. I want to just have a copy saved on GMAIL so that Outlook can pick it up with POP. Now with the new settings on Gmail I get all of my "sent via BB msgs" copied back to me on the BB- am I missing a filter that would stop this?

Also: If I send an e-mail from Outlook to myself I do not receive it...it shows up on Gmail but is not picked up by Outlook via POP nor is it forwarded to BB.

These are issues that have come up while trying to set up the BB with Gmail so if they are solved they could help me and go into the tips section for Gmail...thanks as always!!

8700c
Gmail
Outlook express
BIS

Thanks,
John

Stinsonddog
02-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Pretty sure the double emails has to do with the order you set up the filters. See the bottom of the new page.

johnfromphilly
02-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Pretty sure the double emails has to do with the order you set up the filters. See the bottom of the new page.

You are 100% correct- I missed that last line of the tips- sorry.

How about the issue that if I send a test message from my Outlook Express to my John@<hidden> address (the one I forward to Gmail) it shows up in Gmail as "ME" and does not get forwarded to the BB or come back to Outlook.

I cannot test e-mail myself thru Gmail.

Stinsonddog
02-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I don't actually use that setup so I am not sure. Anyone else? Do you have another address like a Yahoo one to try out?

You are 100% correct- I missed that last line of the tips- sorry.

How about the issue that if I send a test message from my Outlook Express to my John@<hidden> address (the one I forward to Gmail) it shows up in Gmail as "ME" and does not get forwarded to the BB or come back to Outlook.

I cannot test e-mail myself thru Gmail.

johnfromphilly
02-03-2006, 09:26 AM
After alot of searching on Gmail I found the problem:
Gmail does not support this AT ALL.

It will not forward msgs sent from yourself. I was hoping there was a filter to fix this but there is not. You do not receive BC or CC either (which Stinsondog mentions). Gmail is not so perfect after all I guess.

JOhn

Stinsonddog
02-03-2006, 10:21 AM
PLEASE send them to me.

After alot of searching on Gmail I found the problem:
Gmail does not support this AT ALL.

It will not forward msgs sent from yourself. I was hoping there was a filter to fix this but there is not. You do not receive BC or CC either (which Stinsondog mentions). Gmail is not so perfect after all I guess.

JOhn