PDA

View Full Version : Deleting messages does not free up memory immeidately

cheerful
10-16-2011, 12:35 AM
9700 OS 5

Running out memory. I deleted thousands of messages. Yet memory showed even less free space. I'd guess a reboot will free up memory. But why doesn't it show up immediately?

Thanks!

NJBlackBerry
10-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Messages take up a tiny amount of space. Delete photos and music out of the device memory. Delete applications that your don't use. That will free up memory.

cheerful
10-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Each message is small. However, if nothing changes on my blackberry and the only difference is accumulation of messages, then that's what's taking up memory. And no matter how small it's, if I delete thousands of messages, some memory should be freed up, instead of more memory is used.

rambo47
10-16-2011, 09:03 AM
When applications are opened, they immediately claim a chunk of internal memory for their data bases and for their operation. These data bases grow even as the app idles in the background. Some apps, especially third-party apps, are often not coded efficiently and fail to release that memory when they're closed. The phenomenon is called "memory leak". A battery pull whenever memory gets low will set it back to normal levels.

Storing media in internal memory rather than on a microSD card is a huge mistake that folks often make. Pictures and videos, ringtones, saved email attachments, etc, all should be on the memory card. Applications you download must be stored in the internal memory so downloading a ton of aftermarket games and cutsie apps will limit the amount of free internal memory available. Although "memory leak" has been largely attenuated with operating system versions after 4.5, it still happens. Keeping an eye on free memory before and after a battery pull will tell you if you have an app or apps that are hogging internal memory.

cheerful
10-16-2011, 09:46 AM
I appreciate the advice. I don't have a lot of things running. Just specifically on message/email application, I have about 500-1000 emails a day. If I delete 2 weeks worth of email, wouldn't it free up some memory immediately? Thanks!

rambo47
10-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Each email without any attachments probably takes up 10-20Kb of space. Deleting them would free up some space but not that much really. If there are attachments then the size of the email can jump. It's impossible to know how much actual space will be freed up unless you check memory before/after deleting them.

rambo47
10-16-2011, 09:52 AM
To check what apps are actually running, hold down the Alt key and press the Back button.

A battery pull should immediately free up memory and it should show up immediately. If not, then your memory is being taken up by saved files.

cheerful
10-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Does this mean the BlackBerry email/message application is leaking memory?

tsac
10-16-2011, 07:08 PM
If your on a BES server ( corporate) system the system may have a limit and if your not able to send it means you have reached the limit set on email storage. I hit it constantly. As suggested, a battery pull will reset the OS and clear the memory but storing media on the SD card will be best.

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_free_up_memory_on_my_device%3F)

BBThemesX
10-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Messages go into flash memory. Stored away from apps and all. Delete apps
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Thiego-uk
10-17-2011, 09:24 AM
9700 on OS5? how many apps do you have? OS5 can easily handle some good amount of apps.

cheerful
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
I would not consider a battery pull immediately. So this sounds like a bug in the system

NJBlackBerry
10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
OK - feel free to report it to RIM.
But the 9700 on OS5 has plenty of memory.

gututan
10-19-2011, 02:58 PM
ok..thanks for info :D