PDA

View Full Version : Contacts swapped to someone else's phone!

LazzaBB
11-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Hello all!
I'm new to the forum, my name's Larry and it's nice to meet you :)

I apologise if this issue has already been addressed (I googled it and had a brief look at your forums with no luck).

This morning a friend and I have each others contacts in our phones. We still have all our own, but our phones have somehow copied each other's lists.

I have a Torch 9800, he has a Bold. We BBM each other a lot. We live about 20 miles apart. Very confused, can anybody explain why & how?

Obviously we're both outraged at the obvious breach of privacy and the work we now have to do to go through and delete individual contacts. Also very concerned about privacy of all the other content.

Very disappointed with BB & RIM recently, I did not another excuse to take my business elsewhere.

Thank you for your help. We really appreciate it.

dc/dc
11-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Please be informed that this forum is not associated with RIM in any way, shape or form; so please take your outrage elsewhere. We are all just people that love BlackBerry.

That being settled, let's try to solve your issue. Thankfully, devices cannot just magically get another device's contacts, so there was no breach of your privacy, but it is still strange. Are all of your contacts from your devices now shared or just BBM? Are your contacts synced to your e-mail? Do you and your friend's devices have the same account on your devices? What was the last thing you or your friend did on your devices or with your accounts last night before this happened?

LazzaBB
11-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi thanks for you reply :)
I'm aware that this website is not associated with RIM and I don't believe in magic. I'm just trying to ascertain if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

All the contact details, from our contact list (not bbm contacts) have appeared on each others phones this morning, so if it is a glitch then there has been a breach of privacy as I now have all the private contact details of the people on his list (and all the other associated notes/details) and vise versa without our prior consent.

The last thing we did was have a bbm conversation last night, nothing out of the ordinary. Then this morning we have an extra couple of hundred contacts each.

I just got off the phone to o2 technical dept and they have no idea and have never heard of it happening before.

dc/dc you've reminded me that my colleague and I have a shared google email account, but we set it up ages ago and never use it. I guess that must be it.
It's very odd that it just happened now months after setting it up and without a request or warning, it certainly seems like that particular service needs an improvement. A simple tick box system would be nice rather than just importing all contacts without warning, and just email addresses would do rather than all the telephone details too. I'll put it down to this and take a valuable lesson on board.

Thanks for your help.

dc/dc
11-03-2011, 11:24 AM
It actually is as simple as a tick box... There is a box when you set the account up on your device that says "Sync contacts".