PDA

View Full Version : SMS Limit

hayjude99
11-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm terribly sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new here. I cannot stand the 160 character limit on SMS. I know all phones have some sort of limit but usually does it just send as individual messages after you've finished composing it in one message window?

I dug around in the settings and didn't see anything. Is there any sort of tweak I can install to get rid of this annoyance? I'm very, very open to any sort of tweaking; I've always had my iPhones jailbroken and my Droids rooted.

Thanks

PS I know that you can use the MMS feature to extend my text box, but I know many people who can't receive MMS.

Thanks

hayjude99
11-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Well I have the 8330 Curve which is an older model I think (it still has the trackball) and I don't see many options in the settings menu

Doesn't Bluetooth only work over short distances?

I have thought of that... its sort of a pain asking what someones carrier (to get what @<hidden> to add to the mobile number) is every time I want to send a decent size text.
Sorry if I sound so pessimistic lol...

Motorcycle Mama
11-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Ignore that post. Bluetooth? Don't think so.

On that device on Verizon, your options are 1) use MMS - you will have 1000 characters, 2) use the SMS gateway for the carrier for the person and send email (and yes this can be a pain), or 3) use a third party application - there are a few of them that will work.

Or get a device that uses OS 7.

ZombieBerry
11-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Bluetooth? Too funny!

@<hidden> I like CrunchSMS, works with the 83xx series.

Dubdub
11-23-2011, 10:23 AM
SMS length is a carrier limit, not a BB device limit. If you exceed 160, then the message is sent in 2 or more parts, 160 characters per message.

jsconyers
11-23-2011, 10:48 AM
There is a third party app called Beyond160, that will create a second text when you reach beyond 160 characters. I believe it will go up to 6 texts. When you send a long text it will put (1/6), (2/6), (3/6), etc before each text so the user knows the order they texts belong in. I used this app on my 8330 a few years ago when I had it.