PDA

View Full Version : Gmail replacement app options ( 2 way sync please!)

majorwoo
11-30-2011, 08:17 AM
I've been scouring the net and I see many many people claim BIS 3.0 now supports 2 way sync - specifically read/unread status. I see lots of people who say it doesn't work, or it works on a delay. There are several threads on this subject here, but most all of them are older and refer to the same things I've already said it does work, it doesn't work, it works but it's delayed, etc.

What I'm looking for is people who have replaced their gmail app with another way (BIS, whatever) and are happy with it.

Thanks!

penguin3107
11-30-2011, 08:26 AM
I think your view on the BlackBerry/GMail integration in somewhat backwards.

For starters, the majority of GMail users integrate via BIS... not the GMail app. That's one of the main reasons the app is now deprecated.

GMail integration with BIS has been 2-way sync for years. Deletes and Read/Unread status are both synced.
Handheld -> Mailbox sync is nearly real-time.
Mailbox -> Handheld sync is on a delayed schedule.

With the Enhanced GMail client on the handheld, you can also get support for labels and star-tagging.

2-way sync of GMail Contacts and Calendar are also supported with BIS integration.

majorwoo
11-30-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm a little confused as to how my view is backwards (as I haven't really given my opinion on the subject but :) )

What sort of a delay are we talking about here? I am upwards of a 4 hours now and the read status has yet to sync from my mailbox to my handheld. Possibly complicated by the fact my cell signal is almost nonexsistant and I am using wifi? ( I noticed that I can not setup a BIS email over wifi, it says there isn't a signal)

I've not loaded the enhanced gmail client yet - I just get server 500 errors from it (possibly related to my running the new 7.1 OS for wifi calling, so I'll give that some more time).

adperdue
11-30-2011, 12:09 PM
The Gmail app is no longer being developed, you will not be able to download it at all very soon. And it was not meant for OS7. This whole discussion is moot.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

majorwoo
11-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Did you read my question all, or just spout off an answer?

I asked for gmail app replacements (be they BIS or otherwise) - the entire point of which is to migrate from the gmail app...

ifonline
11-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I never used the Gmail app. It was/is worthless as far as I am concerned. With the enhanced Gmail functions now built-in to OS7 (and available for earlier devices), I'm fine with the way BIS works for Gmail. Yeah, there is a bit of a delay for certain functions, but that's not a big deal to me. What's most important is that the e-mails show up instantly, which they do.

Use BIS. It works well. Oh, and if you are using an OS7 device, do not try and load the bolt-on Gmail plugin as the functions are already built-in to the OS7 software.

ifonline
This whole discussion is moot.

No more moot than your attempt at helping.

penguin3107
I'm a little confused as to how my view is backwards (as I haven't really given my opinion on the subject but :) )
Maybe I'm reading into your original post incorrectly, but it sounded like you believed that the GMail app was the popular/preferred choice of integration.
My point is that it's hardly used in comparison to BIS.
I don't think you'll find many people who will be switching from the GMail App to BIS... since there aren't many people using the GMail app to begin with.

The people who claim that BIS 3.0 "now supports 2-way sync" are a little behind the times. 2-way sync for GMail has been supported since BIS 1.x, and improving with each revision.

What sort of a delay are we talking about here? I am upwards of a 4 hours now and the read status has yet to sync from my mailbox to my handheld.
That's about right. I've seen the mailbox->handled sync take 4-6 hours to reconcile on GMail.

ifonline
11-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Yep... sync can take hours, although it can also take less. And as penguin3107 noted, the delay is only when moving data from the mailbox to the handheld. When moving in the other direction, it is virtually instant.

majorwoo
11-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Ok, thanks guys.

Penguin, I was using the gmail app instead of BIS as you thought (in my recent reading I've been hearing just what you say, that most people already used BIS). I'm pretty reliant on my read/unread messages so the 4-6 hour delay is something I'll have to get used to (or you can still download the app on the net - I'm currently running gmail both ways). I do like the idea of pushing the e-mail, but since I use gmail to check my other pop3's and the frequency of the check there is variable I never found the instant arrival to be a concern for me. Of course this is just my personal e-mail, my corporate through the BES is instant.

ifonline - thanks for that info. The blackberry page for the enhanced app was just giving me 500 server errors so good to know I don't need it anyway :)

So, if I understand correctly the sync delay is because of gmails idle imap implementation?

majorwoo
11-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Random behavior, just out of curiosity - has anyone else noticed that sending a message to your own gmail account from a pop3 account you have configured to be checked via g-mail will only sync the outgoing sent message to your blackberry? I never get the received copy on the blackberry just the sent copy - but it shows up fine in the browser.

And yes, I know it's a wierd thing to check but I do send myself reminders that way sometimes for things I don't want in my BES calendar :)

ifonline
11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
BIS filters out e-mails sent to yourself via Gmail because of the way Gmail handles e-mail. This is by design. As far as reminders go, why wouldn't you use the Tasks app?

majorwoo
11-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Ahh, good to know. Thanks.

As for reminders - I've just never used the tasks.

ifonline
11-30-2011, 03:00 PM
I would recommend checking it out. The BlackBerry, when combined with BES, is a powerful combination. No reason not to take advantage of everything the combo has to offer, including Tasks. Granted, the Tasks app on the BlackBerry is pretty limited, and Outlook/Exchange can't really handle GTD is a graceful way, but as one that has relied on GTD for years, I can still make the Tasks app work for me via careful Category use, task naming conventions that relay useful info, etc.