PDA

View Full Version : 8700 freezes -- should I return?

jrd321
02-04-2006, 12:21 AM
I just got a new 8700 and it's frozen up on me 3-4 times in the first day I've had it. I've had to remove battery each time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this standard, or should I return the unit?

tfaz1
02-04-2006, 12:46 AM
You should probably try reinstalling the software first. See if it freezes on you again. If so, then you should take it back.

I've had mine for about 60 days. I think it's frozen once, maybe.

jrd321
02-04-2006, 10:36 AM
How do I reinstall the software? It came installed

peznut
02-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I just got a new 8700 and it's frozen up on me 3-4 times in the first day I've had it. I've had to remove battery each time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this standard, or should I return the unit?

The first 8700 I received after ordering it from Cingular didn't freeze (if I understand what you mean) but instead continually rebooted every 2-5 minutes, unless it was connected via the USB cable to my Mac. (And I still have no idea why that made a difference...)

Anyway, I followed the usual procedure: numerous calls to Cingular's CSRs and tech "experts," hard reboots, removing the battery, reloading the OS (which was tough since I don't have a PC), etc. In the end, I was "allowed" to send it back for an exchange, which is all I wanted in the first place. That wasted several weeks of my life.

My advice: If you have access to a PC and can easily reload the OS, give it a shot, but if that doesn't work, then save yourself the headache and return it for a straight exchange and insist upon it. For this kinda money, there's no reason that it shouldn't work straight outta the box, or why you should putz around to make it work properly.

bobhammer
02-20-2006, 06:29 AM
did you install any third party software...cos last time, I installed some 3rd party software, and it just freezed my 8700r.
and if you want to reset your blackberry, you can just press ctrl+alt+del

hope this all help

sd5187
02-21-2006, 12:56 PM
What happens when the device locks??

I have had 2 8700's that had a problem in areas where there was a low signal. What would happen is that I would be on a call and the call would be dropped. When I look at the Blackberry the data send/receive arrows in the top right corner are both on and stay on. Only way to get the device to receive emails or phone calls is to pull the battery and reset.

My current 8700 has done this once only in the last month I've had it.