PDA

View Full Version : New To Blackberry

goha
12-24-2011, 03:17 AM
I just got my blackberry torch and I am sitting home connected to my wifi but it wont let me access facebook or appworld or do anything regarding apps unless I use my data plan and when I go to Mobile Network Options to disable the data plan so the BB be forced to use the wifi, it still doesnt, any help to the rookie over here?

devnull
12-24-2011, 03:44 AM
This has been brought up a gazillion times.

Read the following thread discussed just yesterday. It's now exactly the your situation but should explain about wifi, data, plans.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-help/256390-browsing-my-blackberry-using-wifi.html

goha
12-24-2011, 04:02 AM
I must have a data plan even if I bought the blackberry unlocked not with the company?

penguin3107
12-24-2011, 07:36 AM
I must have a data plan even if I bought the blackberry unlocked not with the company?

Yes, you need a data plan.

rambo47
12-24-2011, 09:14 AM
BlackBerrys are not like regular smartphones. On BlackBerrys you get your data from RIM through your carrier. With regular smartphones you get your data straight from the carrier. You need the BlackBerry data plan to get the service books needed to enable data services.

goha
12-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Thank you guys, I just didn't know I have to get special internet for the blackberry cuz I though any data plan works,

but I have one more question, if I am home, the bb will automatically use the wifi over the data plan right?

Dubdub
12-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Which "Torch" do you have? There are several different versions. Your profile says 8100T and that isn't a Torch. Please update your profile with your correct model number. We use that when you have problems.

As for your question, if you are connected to WiFi, all data should go via that route, unless you have something that specifically uses carrier data.

goha
12-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Which "Torch" do you have? There are several different versions. Your profile says 8100T and that isn't a Torch. Please update your profile with your correct model number. We use that when you have problems.

As for your question, if you are connected to WiFi, all data should go via that route, unless you have something that specifically uses carrier data.

Is there any way I can check if my torch is 9800 or 9810?

hrbuckley
12-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Options -> Device -> About Device Versions

The first thing on the first page will be the model number.