PDA

View Full Version : Bah! Which Blackberry to get!?! (I know this is redundant, but I really do need help)

Liv
02-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Howdy All,

I am looking into getting a blackberry. I have looked at all the models, compared the prices, service providers, specs, and am still not sure which on to get.

I used to be a Palm owner, then I had a PPC (Dell Axim that got stolen from me), I have not had a PDA in long while, and have become lost without one.

I decided I wanted a blackberry, for all the functions it offers. Here is what is more important to me:

- Design - I like the full querty keyboard (the 7100's have the multiple letter keys, which are great - I know how to use them - but it is just like my cell phone) - however, my issue comes with the fact that I am 5'0" and have smaller hands. I don't want something that is too big. I saw the 8700c, but am not sure if that is what I want

- I do NOT have a preference when it comes to service provider, I will go where the blackberry is. Unless there is a significant difference in the quality of the service.

- I want to be able to access my emails, surf virutally any website, instant message, text message, organize my contacts, tasks, calendar, memo's, etc.

- At this point, I do have a cell phone, but would most likely after learning the ropes of the blackberry convert it from a data plan, to a cell phone and data plan - so I will need to take into consideration the cell phone quality of it.

With that being said, I had narrowed my options down to these BBs:

7105t

7100g

8700c

I have seen a bunch of issues with defects and bugs so I got confused and am not sure which one to get.

Which one would you suggest? What do you use? Any problems with any of these that I should be aware of?

Thank you all so much. This means so much to me.

kitmoni
02-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Your choices are broken into two areas:

1) Service provider - Sprint, Verizon and Cingular are here to stay. Everyone else, IMO, is suspect to significant changes. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA providers, while Cingular is GSM. Advantages of GSM are potential for international service, and the SIM card portability. Advantages of CDMA - again, in my experience - it is basically faster than GSM. Don't everyone get all ticked and start a GSM vs CDMA war. They are effectively equal. But my experience has been better with CDMA (probably a regional issue). Lastly, I have found the full Sprint plans (phone, data plan, shared minutes, etc.) to be slightly less expensive. But remember, cell phone plans are like underwear. It doesn't matter what I say, it only matters what feels good for you.

2) Phone type - once you solve the service provider problem for your area, you will need to decide on the keypad. If you're heavy on email, BES connected, responding to 5+ emails an hour, you probably want the full qwerty keyboard of an 8700 or 7250. If you are not BES connected, or only expect to respond to a few emails in a day, the 71xx series is probably best. Do remember that there are differences between all these models in the areas of screen (viewed in daylight), resolution, and processor speed. Also note that the 71xx models use a slightly different menu system than the 8700 and 72xx models. Play with them and see what you like.

I'm currently a Sprint customer, BES connected, with multiple BIS accounts also hitting my device. My 7250 is awesome for me, but I'm very intrigued by the 8700. I am hopeful that Sprint comes out with a model on their network in the next couple of months, because I'm out of contract and very tempted to make a change. That's one downside of Sprint - usually not the first with a phone, and very poor at telling their customers what's coming down the road. Not smart marketing, IMO. But the service (in my area) is superior.

Liv
02-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Thank you so much Kitmoni, that was very helpful.

I at this point have a cell phone through Sprint. So I will make a decision based on that to figure out what I would like.

I will be answering more than 3 + emails an hour. Sending text messages constantly and such. I can use my cell phone that I have now for my phone calls. I figure I at this point will only use it for everything data that does not have to do with voice calls.

I thought about the differences in the keyboard. I love the styling and how the 7100's have to their look, and how I figure it will fit in my hand. I am going to head to the mall in a few to hold some, and see what I can find out. The thing I am not sure of is if I want to get the full QUERTY or not, it makes a good difference in width, which I need to take into consideration. But then again, if I wanted to be able to email and text from the 7100 keypad, then I would just keep my cell phone, know what I mean?

Any other opinions?

Again Kitmoni, thank you so much for taking the time to answer me.

coreyg510
02-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I have used the 7100g, 7290, treo650 (dont know what possesed me), and 8700c. I would have to choose the 8700c above all else

kitmoni
02-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 7250: BlackBerry7250/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I agree with Corey, the 8700 is just very enticing. For the amount of email you're bound to be doing, I would most certainly favor the full keyboard. Also, if you look at the specs, they aren't that different in size. Finally, just understand that once you have everything on a blackberry, you won't want to switch back and forth. You'll be using bluetooth, dialing from emails and contacts, dialing conference bridges from a calendar reminder. It's the ultimate in full integration. I've known two people who started your way and dumped their cell phones within two weeks. Good luck...

Liv
02-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Okay, Thank you Kitmoni :D

I will stop by cingular this afternoon and find out what they can give me.

I am actually wondering if it is possible to get just data with cingular, they don't seem to be really offering that much. Not sure.

I just have to be smart for now. I need another phone number anyway, so I will have to see ;)

If anyone else has any other thoughts, please let me know. Advice is never accessive :D

go2duke
02-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Cingular has data only as well as the more typical data/voice combo. Let us know how you like. I am thinking of switching to them just to get the 8700...gotta have that QWERTY keyboard.

-G2D

AlwaysOn607
02-04-2006, 06:11 PM
For the amount of emailing and texting, I would advise the 8700, but if you consider a 7100, look at the 7130 (with Verizon). It is the best of the 71xx series.

coreyg510
02-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I always found the 7100 hard to type on. There was a discussion a while back that had it listed who used what. Most of the 7100 users said they typed at full speed just as a 7290 user. I could never type that fast with a 7100. I kept messing up. The full qwerty keyboard is priceless for me. Not to mention the 8700c has more memory, its faster and the colors and screen are upgraded from the 7200 series. Oh yea and i forgot to mention the speakerphone, a great addition for me.

takeshi
02-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Full qwerty versus SureType is definitely a personal preference. I tried the 7100t and couldn't stand SureType although I had previously used T9 and had been reasonably happy with it. I'd recommend the 8700c, not only for its full qwerty keyboard but for EDGE, its faster processor, better display, and there's probably more that isn't coming to mind at the moment.

Definitely check coverage of any potential carrier in your area. Don't reply on the coverage maps. Check with friends, family, and coworkers who use other carriers and make the most of your trial period with whichever carrier you decide to try. Coverage varies greatly from market to market and definitely even within markets.

coreyg510
02-04-2006, 07:37 PM
agreed. We use a Maptool at my store for showing our customers the coverage areas. And while the map is updated frequently, I feel that talking to your friends and family about what service they prefer is the best option. Keep in mind as well, if you dont like your service, most providers offer a trial period in which you can cancel with out ETF's

Liv
02-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Just a quick update.

I spoke to Cingular today, and as soon as I get the funds to get the 8700c I will be getting it. I am getting the data only plan just for now, until I get back to Tennesee, then I will open a new phone number to use on it.

So...on the issue of funds. Anyone interested in buying a Sony PSP loaded with games and accessories? Ha. I need to find money somewhere.

KonTiki
02-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I understand that with the deals you can get it for free after rebates from Amazon.com and or buy.com

Liv
02-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Yeppers, I saw that. I am just trying to figure out exactly what I have to sign up for to get it.

berrylovr
02-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Liv,
Yes, I work for T-Mob. I myself am partial to their service, and pricing. You have several options open to you, depending on how you plan on using your BB.(ignoring my employee plan). The service is great..as well as the PDA support. 7100 series is your best bet. I'm 5'9 and a half, but have slender hands. This is what pushed towards the 7100t instead of the 8290.
The 8290 is far too cumbersome for me. The Suretype feature on BB'S is really not that much different from Predictive Text.
Peace,
Gillian

Liv
02-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Still struggling a little bit between the 7105t and the 8700c, I am 85 percent sure I am going to go with the 8700c, the kicker comes with the fact that T-Mobile has really cruddy coverage in the three states I travel between the most during the year, as opposed to cingular (the 8700c) having the most, and well covered areas.

So I am thinking it will be te 8700c, I just have to do a good case search I suppose. Vajacases.com is my favorite case place, but they have none yet for the 8700c. I am sad about that :(

MooseBerry
02-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Wow, I just looked at the Vaja cases for the BB. They really need to update their product line! They do have nice cases for the RAZR though.

Liv
02-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Arn't they stinkin awesome?!?

I want an ivolution to come out for the 8700c, they have a really really really pretty one for the 7105t, they seem a bit pricey, but ultimately worth every penny. I have had my ipod in my ivolution case for over a year, and it does not have a sign of wear or tear yet.

Stinsonddog
02-06-2006, 03:57 AM
You might look at the Forte or Gizmoskin cases. I love the 8700 and you can find alot of info on my Tips site.

Arn't they stinkin awesome?!?

I want an ivolution to come out for the 8700c, they have a really really really pretty one for the 7105t, they seem a bit pricey, but ultimately worth every penny. I have had my ipod in my ivolution case for over a year, and it does not have a sign of wear or tear yet.

Liv
02-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Woo Hoo!

Just got an email from vajacases, they are going to make one for the 8700c really soon :D

nb_mitch
02-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Liv,

You mentioned a few times that you mainly plan to use it for email, IM and text messaging. While the first 2 are covered under the BB data plan, Text Messaging is a phone function and would require a phone plan and normally costs 10 cents a message. BB's don't generally come pre-equipped to do IM either, but there are plenty of 3party apps that do IM, I use Yak-On for my AIM, check the FAQ for all the competitors and write-ups.

Liv
02-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Is this the case for all blackberries?

I realized the text messaging issue. I figured out that the fact I can't text is fine. I have my cell phone to do that on. I would use it for Email and web work the most. IMing would be awesome, any other suggestions for really good IM platforms for BBs? I would like to be able to chat with friends (AIM - would be the number one messenger I would need/want)

Thank you so much for the info Mitch!

mjb1206
02-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Liv,

I'm a newbie to the Blackberry world, and loving it for sure! I will say one thing; the full key pad is awesome, and closely resembles a computer key board. That was the selling pitch for me. Since I’m not the greatest typist, I had to get close to what I was kind of use too.

Good luck on the Blackberry you decide on, I’m sure you will enjoy it, and become accustom to it quickly.

Matt http://forum.allsiemens.com/images/smiles/icon_blahblah.gif

aergina
02-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Is this the case for all blackberries?

I realized the text messaging issue. I figured out that the fact I can't text is fine. I have my cell phone to do that on. I would use it for Email and web work the most. IMing would be awesome, any other suggestions for really good IM platforms for BBs? I would like to be able to chat with friends (AIM - would be the number one messenger I would need/want)

Thank you so much for the info Mitch!

For AIM...I use RAMBLE IM...its free!!!! When u get ur BB...download it...

http://wireless.sra.com/ramble/

It's a 3rd party app...I use it ALOT...I have an unlimited data plan and my friends ask me how I can stay online forever!!! It's my replacement for text messaging since most of my friends have AIM on their phones and some of them are LOSERS and have sidekicks...

Tritan
02-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Just a quick update.

I spoke to Cingular today, and as soon as I get the funds to get the 8700c I will be getting it. I am getting the data only plan just for now, until I get back to Tennesee, then I will open a new phone number to use on it.

So...on the issue of funds. Anyone interested in buying a Sony PSP loaded with games and accessories? Ha. I need to find money somewhere.

What is the cost of the data only? I was told by my nextel dealer you can only get data and voice together not data only! I have been looking at this with the Treo also. Verizon makes you get a pay as you go plan for voice with a data plan of 49.99 unlimited and sprint makes you get a voice plan chepest being 30.00 and then add the 10 dollar data and you are around 50 again.

Liv
02-06-2006, 11:40 PM
With Cingular the cost of data only (unlimited plan) is about $50.00 a month

With T-Mobile it is about $30-$50 as well.

Unsure about the other providers