PDA

View Full Version : Do you always need to delete Vendor.xml ?

bram79
01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I have an experience where I am on an UNLOCKED BlackBerry device using sim card from carrier "A".

I then downloaded and install official OS from BlackBerry website under carrier "B" name ie. OS 7.0.0.557_B.exe.

When i did the format/wipe my device with JL. CMD i forgot to delete the vendor.xml but it detect my device + new OS upgrade. And the upgrade installation run smoothly.

is this normal ?

bram79
01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Another question. What is the effect when you install new OS by deleting or not deleting the vendor.xml ?

What is the function of Vendor.xml and its effect to your BB device anyway ?

aiharkness
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
SIM card isn't the factor. See for details To delete Vendor.xml or not to delete, that is the question | CrackBerry.com (http://m.crackberry.com/delete-vendorxml-or-not-delete-question) .
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

rambo47
01-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Desktop Manager might have gone out and found the latest OS version for your device's original carrier. The only thing the vendor.xml file does is make sure a Sprint device gets the official Sprint version of the OS, T-Mobile gets T-Mobile, etc. Other than that there is no use for the vendor.xml file. And since BlackBerrys are by nature completely carrier-agnostic, it's clearly only an attempt by the carriers to keep you using their officially sanctioned OS versions. Easier for them to offer support that way.

bram79
01-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks for enlightments guys :)