PDA

View Full Version : Switching to BlackBerry, question about BBM

blackberryftw
01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Hello, i currently have an iPhone 4, and i will be switching to BlackBerry soon. I apologize if any of these sound obvious but i have looked around but got different answers.

I currently have a data plan (not the social network plan), a simple 1GB per month data plan. The BlackBerry i will be getting is used, which means it has an activated BBM (if this matters). I was wondering if BBM will work if i just switch the SIM from my iPhone to the BB, as i have no BIS or BES plan whatsoever. I have been getting different answers, one side saying all the data plan from Rogers are already connected to BES/BIS and just the data plan is suffice to have a working BBM, while others argue that i will have to activate BIS/BES.

IF i need BIS/BES, is there a monthly payment for this service? Or should i just talk my way though Rogers (on grounds of being their customer for over 10 years) to get it free?

Any help is appreciated.

hrbuckley
01-04-2012, 12:47 PM
In order to use BBM and any other BlackBerry applications (BB Protect, EMail, etc) you will need to get a BlackBerry data plan.

See the appropriate FAQ: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F

Dubdub
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
BBs are different from other smartphone devices. You need a specific Blackberry dataplan. Your iPhone plan will not work. It isn't free, no matter how long you have been a customer.

You will need to talk to your carrier and check prices and options. Rogers may offer a social medial plan only - no Internet and no email, but you really need to check with them to see what they offer, what is and is not included and the cost.

Read this from our FAQ: What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F)

Centrum
01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
If you transfer your SIM from your Iphone4 to Blackberry it might wortk differently on the network. but you can still go to your nearest network provider , and ask them on your concerns..

Dubdub
01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
If you transfer your SIM from your Iphone4 to Blackberry it might wortk differently on the network. but you can still go to your nearest network provider , and ask them on your concerns..

Huh?

jpri
01-24-2012, 11:42 PM

Like dubdub said, huh? BBM wont work on your iphone regardless of the sim thats in it

moorken
01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Or should i just talk my way though Rogers (on grounds of being their customer for over 10 years) to get it free?

Any help is appreciated.

i dont think this will help, i dont think the provider gets much of this money, and RIM won't give away their biggest source of income for free.... anyway, its as low as 10$ a month, so this shouldnt need to be a problem i think? especially not for what you get in the place...

tsac
01-25-2012, 08:17 PM
What's an IPhone?