PDA

View Full Version : blackberry's and Spam message protection...how?

WorldIRC
11-28-2004, 07:02 PM

JackT
11-30-2004, 06:32 PM

frank69m
01-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Just curious, how have the phone providers prevented people from spamming your blackberry email?

Just curious mainly. I know for example, when I got my new hotmail account. A day later I got spammed like 5 times and I didn't even give my new email to anyone. Looks like these spam programs are just randomly trying different xxxxx@<hidden> addresses...how do the wireless providers prevent this?

ScOObydoo
01-22-2005, 12:23 AM
The providers don't help you at all. Spammers run dictionary attacks on domain names to come up with new user names.... So you are on your own sadly:

There are several options.

1) You can pay for a Spamcop.net account, forward all your email to them, and then to the Blackberry.

2) You can configure your own email server (that is what I did), make sure it has decent spam protection (through for example Spamassassin), or you can purchase service off a hosting provider (like www.guesshosting.com the people that host this site). They offer email with spam assassin and you can get an account for just $30 A YEAR!

3) You can setup 100's of filters in the webclient, this would need you to add and alter filters on a daily basis.

But most importantly, never ever give out your Blackberry email address. You are better off getting a free Gmail account and forwarding THAT to your Blackberry account.

The most ideal situation is a mix of 2 and 3. Get your own domain name (you are looking at around $7 a year here) and then host that with above hoster (for example) , then forward all your email (post spam check) to the Blackberry.

Through Spamassassin I get fewer than 2 spam emails PER WEEK in my inbox. I still check the spam folder every now and then for false positives and if needed add them to my "safe" list.

WorldIRC
01-22-2005, 12:49 AM
You can also go on a BES that has a spam filter.

frank69m
01-22-2005, 12:50 AM
You can also go on a BES that has a spam filter.

doesn't this only work on a pop account that uses a BES to make the requests...and not the provider email that goes direct?

WorldIRC
01-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Well you'd forward the email to your bes address...then have your BES address show your real address when you email out

roofus
01-22-2005, 07:34 AM
it's also useful to pick an unusual email address, with numerals, letters and (if permitted) characters. When I set up my hotmail account, I used a shortened version of my name - Big Mistake - like you, I got all kinds of spam, the account is virtually unuseable now. When I set up gmail -I used a jumble of letters and numbers and no spam to date.
For my Blackberry, I use a hosting service and their spam filter and it works very well.