PDA

View Full Version : TMobile 3G/EDGE Data Drops While on Wifi

John Clark
03-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else has been seeing this.

On my unlocked 9800 (on my corporate account) after about an hour or so of everything normal on wifi and EDGE suddenly my EDGE drops to edge (I'm not using UMA since the handoffs don't work right anymore.). There is no way to get EDGE back without toggling off the mobile data network and back on again. If it drops to edge and I leave the wifi network the edge will stay indefinitely and never go back to EDGE.

On my wife's 9700 (personal account) I'm seeing the same thing but with 3G. All will be fine while on 3G and wifi but if you leave the wifi area after an hour or so, the BB logo will drop from the wifi but never jump up to the 3G, thus no BB data while on 3G.

I've talked with TMobile and they say there is nothing wrong with the network, though it only started doing this a couple of weeks ago and I haven't changed anything on either device. Two different devices with different OS's and on different accounts. It has to be a network issue but they say it's fine.

The data will always come back by cycling the mobile data off and back on but that's getting really old.

Just wondering if anyone on T-Mobile else has been seeing this.

aiharkness
03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
For what it's worth, I'm not. I've been traveling the last couple of weeks and between hotel and airport wifi and home wifi, I haven't seen that.

I agree it sounds like network. Can it be strictly a local problem in your case?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

John Clark
03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
That's what I thought as I have a roaming carrier in town that I can use and I don't have the problem when on that network. However, I noticed it a couple of times while traveling in Dallas this week but it only happened twice all week. In my home area on Tmo it happens all the time.

dc/dc
03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I haven't noticed that issue, but I have noticed that UMA handoffs aren't working for me either on my locked 9900 with 7.1.

John Clark
03-04-2012, 01:06 PM
That's why I quit using UMA. T-Mobile is falling apart.

I can't use UMA. Now I can't even use WiFi. If I don't use WiFi the EDGE never drops to edge.

Now with the royal screwing on roaming data I'm losing all reason to stay with TMobile.

dc/dc
03-04-2012, 01:21 PM
That's why I quit using UMA. T-Mobile is falling apart.

I can't use UMA. Now I can't even use WiFi. If I don't use WiFi the EDGE never drops to edge.

Now with the royal screwing on roaming data I'm losing all reason to stay with TMobile.

Wait, what's changed with roaming data?!? That and UMA were half the reason I moved back from AT&T.

aiharkness
03-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Starting 5 April T-Mobile will begin capping data when roaming. The cap depends on your plan. When you reach the cap your data stops while roaming. Data will resume when you return to the T-mobile network or you go on wifi, but you'll have no data while roaming until the next billing cycle starts.

Yes, it stinks.

T-Mobile sent a SMS message a week back, or so, but it was in the news before that.

John Clark
03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
T-Mobile Data Roaming Changes April 2012 Create Opportunity To Leave Without ETF - MAS90, MAS200, Sage 100 Consulting (http://www.s-consult.com/2012/02/24/t-mobile-data-roaming-changes-april-2012-create-opportunity-to-leave-without-etf/)

John Clark
03-04-2012, 01:28 PM
With my corporate account it doesn't apply but with my three personal lines it does. We have only one TMobile tower in town and the rest is roaming with Unicel.

50MB per month is a joke. I never thought we'd be screwed by TMobile like this.

John Clark
03-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't think some kind of roaming limit is unreasonable but 50MB for my 2GB throttled plan? (n)

Anyway, back on topic...

aiharkness
03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Agree, and that's my complaint: The caps seem to me awfully low. Will just have to see how it works in practice for me.

Now back on topic.

dc/dc
03-04-2012, 03:35 PM
That is absolutely ridiculous. (n)

Coupled with Sprint not even offering international data packages to individual users, I am running out of options.

John Clark
03-06-2012, 12:12 AM
So, back on topic. Nobody else has seen this mobile data drop out while on wifi?

dc/dc
03-06-2012, 07:59 AM
So, back on topic. Nobody else has seen this mobile data drop out while on wifi?

Not that I've seen, no.

John Clark
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Apparently, I'm not the only one since my corporate IT department is acknowledging it's a T-Mobile network problem and they're trying to go through our account rep to get it fixed. I called twice but I got nowhere with T-Mobile Support for my wife's 9700.

It's getting really annoying to have to toggle the mobile network each time I leave the house.

dc/dc
03-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Apparently, I'm not the only one since my corporate IT department is acknowledging it's a T-Mobile network problem and they're trying to go through our account rep to get it fixed. I called twice but I got nowhere with T-Mobile Support for my wife's 9700.

It's getting really annoying to have to toggle the mobile network each time I leave the house.

That is just bizarre...

ezrunner
03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
JC I have had this issue as well. EDGE drops to edge when on WiFi for a period of time... Though when I leave WiFi and am on edge showing and I'm having to toggle as well. And this is in Hampton Roads Va. Plenty of tmo towers here

John Clark
03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks EZ...Have you talked to TMo about it? If not, would you? The only way to get it fixed is for them to get complaints about it. I've called them twice so far.

JC

dc/dc
03-08-2012, 07:16 PM
I called today to discuss this issue among others... They seem to think that WiFi is the solution to everything.

John Clark
03-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah, they told me it should say "UMA" at the top, not EDGE. I had to explain that was before they quit supporting UMA and UMA > EDGE handoffs and they no longer work.

If you're not actually having the issue why would you call to "discuss" it?

dc/dc
03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah, they told me it should say "UMA" at the top, not EDGE. I had to explain that was before they quit supporting UMA and UMA > EDGE handoffs and they no longer work.

If you're not actually having the issue why would you call to "discuss" it?

To help you guys out...

ezrunner
03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Sorry JC I am way late here

Calling TMO tonight, now that I have a TMO supprted device they will actually talk to me.

ATT 9800 "sorry nothing we can do device isn't supported"

John Clark
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I hear that. I did that for almost two years. Enough was enough.

ezrunner
03-20-2012, 05:50 PM
I bought TMO branded 9900
before I had an old Tmo 8700 I would use. I almost went into hardware is irrelevant as it was working fine for 15 months but decided to save the headache

CedarsBHBBF
03-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Think I'm having a similar problem as JC. Everytime I leave the WiFi, my email (in/out) stops working, and internet stops working. Phone calls are no problem - no dropped calls. Just data. Cycling the phone on/off or cycling the Mobile connection (disable/enable) gets email and internet working again.

I got a new Curve 9360 about a month ago, and noticed an issue. After reinstalling OS a few times and replacing the phone (new 9360) it is still happening. I tried the "Allow inter-access point handover" setting but it made no difference.

Ticket was opened a month or so ago with T-Mobile but they have not acknowledged a problem, just got me resinstalling the OS and replaced the phone. RIM likewise is saying there is no issue on their side.

I still do not have a resolution. If I get one, I will post it. If you don't think my problem is the same as yours, let me know.

John Clark
03-29-2012, 01:57 PM
It sounds like the same issue. Its really a pain. I haven't been able to get them to acknowledge the issue either.

CedarsBHBBF
03-29-2012, 01:58 PM
To clarify my last post, this problem only started happening with the Curve 9360, not my old 3 year old curve. Others here at work say they are not ahveing an issue. They are on older Curves and Bolds but I need to verify what OS versions. Don't think I have seen a Curve 9360 yet. Is this an OS issue?

John Clark
03-29-2012, 02:08 PM
It was happening to me on my 9800 and happening on my wife's 9700. Two different devices but both OS6. I'm on a 9810 now with 4G instead of the 9800 and haven't noticed the problem because the 4G bounces from 4G to EDGE to GPRS all the time.

CedarsBHBBF
03-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Two other guys here at work say they don't have this problem (they are on OS6, I am on OS7). But I suspect some poepe just don't notice the loss of data (email/internet) functionality because they either don't use WiFi at all or they were travelling from one WiFi to another but did not try to access email or internet while travelling. I think the latter is a bit of a stretch on my part, but I do know that data functionality will resume for me once i am back on WiFi without my having to recycle the Mobile connection.

Very frustrating. Technology should not stop working on newer versions unless someone does not want it to work. Makes me think this is intended and that is why they refuse to acknwledge the problem.

John Clark
03-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Many people don't even have a clue that their device is wifi capable nor do they know how to connect it. If you don't use wifi there is no problem.

John Clark
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Which has nothing to do with this topic...

John Clark
03-31-2012, 01:04 AM
Yes, same thing happens on other wifi networks.

edwintg
04-02-2012, 12:27 AM
just happened to me now on an unlock 9700, on 3G but no BB icon. I'm on wifi