PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie

BerryHappy
02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi, new here with my new 8700c, a convert from a long-time ex-Treo user. Really like my 8700c - Cingular service. I have been looking at these forums and want to thank the many of you with the many suggestions and answers that has guided me in making good use of my new device. I have some questions that I could not find answers for even though I searched.

a) Can I use the 8700c without a holster? I like to carry it in my pocket but the screen comes on if any button or the trackwheel is touched.
b) Can I make all emails as read without opening them? I am noticing that emails that I have read on my laptop still show as unopened on the BB, even after I do a reconcile now.
c) I have my corp account and my Yahoo email set up but it does not seem to allow me to send or reply from my Yahoo account. What do I need to do to be able to pick the account I want to send email from?

TIA.

NJBlackBerry
02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi Berry - and welcome to BBForums. I'll give it shot...

a) Can I use the 8700c without a holster? I like to carry it in my pocket but the screen comes on if any button or the trackwheel is touched.
You can use it without a holster, but I don't like to. If you do, make sure you lock the keyboard (lightly press k to lock). I also set the center convenience key to lock the BB.

b) Can I make all emails as read without opening them? I am noticing that emails that I have read on my laptop still show as unopened on the BB, even after I do a reconcile now.
Yes - the easiest way to do this is to scroll to a date, and select Mark Prior Opened. Reconciliation of read e-mails can take up to 20 minutes between reading it on a laptop (corporate e-mail) and onto the BB itself.

c) I have my corp account and my Yahoo email set up but it does not seem to allow me to send or reply from my Yahoo account. What do I need to do to be able to pick the account I want to send email from?
I do not use Yahoo mail on my BB, so my answer might be off here. Normally after you select Reply, you can scroll to the top of the message and change the "Using" from Desktop (BES) to another e-mail account.

Hope that helps!

rcg
02-08-2006, 04:42 PM
One small change to NJ's reply.... before pressing "k" to lock the BB...

You need to turn "Dial from Home Screen" off as it's on by default.

>Enter the phone application
>use the track wheel to select "options"
>choose "General Options"
>scroll down to "Dial from Home Screen" and change it's option to "No"
>Escape and save

You now can lock the screen with the "k" key as well as other shortcuts "m" for messages, "L" for calendar. This does NOT deactivate your speed dials that may be assigned to the shortcut keys.

NJBlackBerry
02-08-2006, 04:50 PM
I forgot to mention that part..

Your speed dials do not get deactivated. Pressing "k" quickly locks the screen. Holding it down dials the speed dial assigned to the letter "k". They still work.

rcg
02-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I forgot to mention that part..

Your speed dials do not get deactivated. Pressing "k" quickly locks the screen. Holding it down dials the speed dial assigned to the letter "k". They still work.

Fixed

BerryHappy
02-08-2006, 08:47 PM
you guys are awesome. How do I turn off the 'dial from home screen'? How do I scroll to a date where I can get the Mark Prior Opened? I was going to the emails and trying to scroll to the date field but it does not seem to work. Thanks again

BerryHappy
02-08-2006, 08:49 PM
OK, I found the option to switch off dial from home screen. It locks the phone but the screen still comes on whenever any button is touched. Can I force it to come on only when a particular button is touched or held down?

BES admin
02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
OK, I found the option to switch off dial from home screen. It locks the phone but the screen still comes on whenever any button is touched. Can I force it to come on only when a particular button is touched or held down?

I think I understand what you mean, but I believe the answer to the question is: If you press a key with the device out of the holster, locked device or not, the back light will come on.

The advantage to having the device locked when you inadvertantly press a key is that you will not accidentally dial the telephone or something crazy like that.

hope this helps. (y)

p.s. Rcg answered your "how to" question three posts above asking it.

BerryHappy
02-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks, looks like I have to use the holster if I don't want the backlight /screen coming on everytime something is touched inside my pocket or elsewhere.