PDA

View Full Version : Won't turn on?

PixXy
08-21-2012, 04:22 AM
I have a BB curve 8520. A few weeks back it started freezing up and ended up corrupting my memory card, I tried another card and it worked for a week, then did the same. 'Fatal error' or something, and when optioned to fix, it failed as well.

I have no idea whether this is related to what's going on now, this morning I noticed my phone's screen was off, and I figured it locked but when trying to press the unlock button at the top or the power button, nothing responded at all.

I did a battery pull reboot and it seemed fine, for a few minutes. Then again, died. I did another battery pull, but then it started up, went about halfway through the loading bar, and died.

The phone is definitely charged, it was more than half charged when I last had it working, and I did put it on the charger for quite a bit after that as well, but it still goes halfway through loading, then the screen goes either solid white or completely off again.

Any ideas as to what this could be or how I could possibly fix it? :?

rambo47
08-21-2012, 08:52 AM
You might try updating the software on your BlackBerry. The latest version is available from a link in the 8500 section of this forum. The BBFaq has a step-by-step guide on how to do it.

Make sure:
To back up your device via desktop manager first.
To download the os for your exact model (don't put 8500 software on an 8520)

aiharkness
08-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Adding to the above ...

Did you test this time with the microSD media card removed? Maybe you did. Of course if it works without the media card, then the card is the problem. And in that case, my advice is use a name brand card from a reputable source.

If it isn't the card, then I agree with the above. Reinstall the OS and see what happens.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

PixXy
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I did try with and without the card first thing, and nothing worked.

The first card was the one I got with the phone and never even removed until it died.

I did reload the OS and that did fix the turning on (THANK YOU!!!!)

At the moment there is no memory card in the phone again, but do you think the OS could've been the main problem in that area as well?

aiharkness
08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Good. No keep a watch on what you are doing that may be corrupting files and data on the media card. Maybe you have had freezing or rebooting while the device is writing to the card?

Keep an eye on free memory. Watch how may apps you have running at the same time, and try to fully exit what you aren't using. And be very selective and cautious about the apps you do decide to run.

PixXy
08-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Alright, NO, that indeed did not work.

It held for about a day, but then suddenly, without inserting ANY card, downloading anything, dead BB again.

Any ideas?

aiharkness
08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I really don't know. It does sound like you must have done something. You did not install any app? It just doesn't make sense to me.

susana
08-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Try another battery it could be dying but showing charge.

HabibJiwan
08-24-2012, 03:06 AM
I have the same model too. It happened to me too. Just remove your sim, memory card and battery. Leave the phone for 10 minutes. Put them all back and switch the phone on. Immediately, upgrade your os to 5.0, that surely worked for me and it also increased my battery life.

PixXy
08-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks, I will try removing everything.

And I really have not downloaded any new apps in weeks now, the ones that are on the phone have been there for quite some time.