PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained data traffic 2GB+

tgoeldenitz
09-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Fortunately I am using an app to check on the data usage. All of a sudden, without any invitation from me, my BB Torch 9810 (OS 7.1 Bundle 1149) started sending out GigaBytes of data. First day 750MB, next day 1.2GB, next day 700MB. I did not even know the BB had that much data in it.

The data also goes when I am not on WiFi but on 3G roaming abroad (yeah!!)

Anyone has an explanation what this is?

I used a Task Manager app to see what processes are running and there is one called nabsync, which I dont know and not sure that I want it. It cannot be deleted though and does not appear in the app list.

stevetaz
09-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I believe that is used by providers/carriers to do carrier backup. Are you storing data in the cloud?

You should be able to remove the COD files to stop it.

tgoeldenitz
09-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Thank you for the information. I am not storing anything in the cloud from my BB. I have BB Protect but it does not seem to be it. I do not assume iCloud has anything to do with it.

What is a carrier backup? I did not ask for one and I would not know how to restore a carrier backup.

How can I most easily disable this nabsync? Deleting the COD files seems to be a difficult operation.

rambo47
09-05-2012, 08:05 AM
BlackBerry Protect does regular scheduled backups by default. I'd check your settings for BBP.

tgoeldenitz
09-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes, I checked the BB Protect, but this is set to only do so on WiFi and when it does, it prompts. I am sure it is not, plus it would not upload (by now) 5GB in five days. Unbelievable. This phone does not even have that much data in it. I dont know what it is sending all the time. The nabsync is the only process which is running which I have no control of and where I dont know exactly what it is doing. I really want to get rid of nabsync, and I would like to give the RIM people a piece of my mind about putting something in the system that activates without consent, and sending GBs of data.

devnull
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Are you using Facebook, Twitter, or any other social apps?

knottyrope
09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I have seen carriers claim a user was using that much data but was an internal billing issue. Fight it with your carrier and ask what it was doing to have that much data.

tgoeldenitz
09-05-2012, 01:51 PM
No, I am not using Social Network apps on my BB. It is also not incoming traffic. It is only outgoing. This is what is so amazing about it. Just outgoing 5GB in five days. The point is that I also would like to know who is getting all this data, and what data is he getting? This is alarming, aside from the cost factor.

Does anybody know how I can kill this nabsync?

jsconyers
09-05-2012, 01:58 PM
From doing a Google search nabsync is used by your carrier to do carrier backups.

The only way to remove it is by removing the cod files as mentioned above.