PDA

View Full Version : Wirless Wifi Lightswitch for Blackberry

jetspeedz
10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I see lots of these wall sockets which allow you to control your light over the internet on your phone away from home for Apple/Andriod phones.

Is there anything for Blackberry?

daphne
10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't know of anything offhand, but I haven't looked. Did you look in App World?

jetspeedz
10-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Yes i looked in the appworld and the closest thing is Vimo but they do not offer a simple light switch similar to what Belkin offers at $50 and their free app for android/apple

It's sad to see developers shying away from RIM but I understand.

Mark Rejhon
11-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Another method is to use web-based home automation software such as HomeSeer. I have used that software to remotely control a security system, X10, Insteon, Zigbee (yes, same protocol as Philips Hue -- so your BlackBerry can control Philips Hue!), etc. It worked even from a lowly BlackBerry 9700.

I moved, so I don't use the system anymore. But it worked!

jetspeedz
11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
thanks for the input I will take a look at it

Mark Rejhon
11-01-2012, 12:32 PM
One warning, it's an expensive software package -- it's got everything including kitchen sink (if you have a faucet or water valve controller -- LOL). The entry level consumer package is about $200. Lots of mansions in Hollywood use similiar software.

That said, it also inter-operates with your cheap garden variety $10 dimmer from x10.com too.

jetspeedz
11-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Ya i saw that, I used x10 before in my old house and it worked great for what it was used for but i just need a simple wifi light switch to turn the lights on for the dogs remotely if i get caught up at work or somewhere else. It's a shame they don't develop apps anymore like they do for the andriod/apple products.

knottyrope
11-01-2012, 03:22 PM
many developers are making apps for BB10, I dont think much will be done in Java in a few months.

jetspeedz
11-01-2012, 06:06 PM
That is some good news, but will we be able to upgrade to 10 on the current phones? I have not spent too much time dabbling on the 10 stuff so excuse my ignorance.

ZombieBerry
11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
That is some good news, but will we be able to upgrade to 10 on the current phones? I have not spent too much time dabbling on the 10 stuff so excuse my ignorance.

Unfortunately, no. That will not be possible.

jetspeedz
11-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Great, so I just upgraded and will have to upgrade again to a new device with OS10. I'll probably use this for a couple of years till the 10 product matures than upgrade but it is a shame you can barely find any apps for the current models when you see so many other developers developing new apps for the Andriod/Apple platform. I'll never switch to either but it is a shame there are not as many new apps for the BB these days