PDA

View Full Version : New BES 4.0 Software, Need Help!

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Hello, we currently run BES 3.6 on our 2000 AD domain, but are migrating new users to a new 2003 AD domain. We have installed BES 4.0 on the new domain, stop the BES 3.6 server, and then start the BES 4.0 server (we are using the same SRP), but the server will never go all the way live. In the error log we see this, "[SRP] Connection failed " (the source says Exchange Connector), but when we test the SRP connectivity from the server everything passes with flying colors! I assume this has something to do with our Exchange Connector (since that is what BES seems to be complaining about). Any ideas?

Thanks,

E-

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 02:46 PM
First check by RIM (or with the carrier) if the SRP is not locked, this can happend after a machine switch.

Regards,
Bob

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 02:48 PM
The SRP is not locked. We DID have that happen when we started this process though! We can switch the services from each server off, and then back on, and the old server continues to function fine while it is on.

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 02:52 PM
RIM can see what happend.....

Regards,
Bob

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
RIM can see what happend.....

Regards,
Bob

What are you talking about? We are not trying to snowball anyone by running two BES with 1 license. We learned during the migration about that. We only run 1 server at a time. We shut down our working server when testing the new one. Does that make sense? Our 2003 AD migration is down to our Blackberry users now, and we cannot complete it until we get BES working in the new AD. Any ideas, or can I expect more cryptic messages?

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I forgot to mention our environment: BES 4.0, SP3 with HotFix #4 running on Windows 2000 SP4 with Exchange 2003 SP2 Management tools installed.

dev
02-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Have a look at your Services applet and ensure that all the BES related services are running. Then check your MAPI profile connnectivity to the Exchange server to see if it can resolve the name.
Sometimes not all the services come up on default. Since the BES is complaining about the Exchange connector, was the mail rebooted before you attempted a BES restart? If so you'll need to restart the BES.

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 03:07 PM
All BES services are running, and MAPI can connect to Exchange just fine. Mail was not rebooted, and we have tried several reboots on the BES server to no avail.

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 03:17 PM
What are you talking about? We are not trying to snowball anyone by running two BES with 1 license. We learned during the migration about that. We only run 1 server at a time. We shut down our working server when testing the new one. Does that make sense? Our 2003 AD migration is down to our Blackberry users now, and we cannot complete it until we get BES working in the new AD. Any ideas, or can I expect more cryptic messages?

You can say what ou want, but I did many migrations and upgrades. Some times the SRP is blocked (sometimes even after some reboots in a short time when upgrading). Only when you have check this, and when it is blocked they release it for you..., you are sure it is not that...

Regards,
Bob

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Also, when looking at the server through the Blackberry Manager software, it shows the server status as, "Running (1720)", but the SRP Status shows as "Disconnected", even though from the server all the SRP test work fine. We also see the same error with the source, "Blackberry Synchronization Service".

dev
02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm assuming you allowed the new BES to run for a while...sometimes the error message runs for a while and then shows connected. My experience has shown that it takes about 15-20 secs when viewing from the BM console. Doesthe BM console launch properly?
What's the status of the BES server icon? Most times in this situation it's because the SRP connection was disconneted by RIM...but you checked that already.

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 03:22 PM
We have let it run for a while, and the status of the BES icon has a red circle with an X through it. The console, and all utilities launch without incident.

dev
02-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Sorry my post was a bit late...
Are you using a remote client to get to the BM console? What does the BES logs say for the SRP connection? You'll have to check the DISP and the connector logs in the X:\Program Files\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Most times in this situation it's because the SRP connection was disconneted by RIM...but you checked that already.

No he didn't....

Regards,
Bob

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 03:47 PM
No he didn't....

Regards,
Bob

Wow, you are a real piece of work aren't you Bob. Well that is intersting since my current server is still running perfectly. We DID contact RIM when we first started this process as our SRP identifier was locked since we had both servers running at the same time. I take it to be though that I should contact them again? Or are you just going to continue to be an ass Bob?

murpheous
02-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Yes, contact RIM again.

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Wow, you are a real piece of work aren't you Bob. Well that is intersting since my current server is still running perfectly. We DID contact RIM when we first started this process as our SRP identifier was locked since we had both servers running at the same time. I take it to be though that I should contact them again? Or are you just going to continue to be an ass Bob?

I am only politly and trying to help...

Just switch servers with one SRP key can block just one or both servers for this SRP key.

My opinion is that 1 phone call is not to difficult, and then sa what you think about me...

Regards,
Bob

dev
02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Any luck at a successful and persistent connection?

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Just off the phone with RIM, again. The SRP is most certainly not locked for either server. What do we do now?

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 05:23 PM
I am only politly and trying to help...

Just switch servers with one SRP key can block just one or both servers for this SRP key.

My opinion is that 1 phone call is not to difficult, and then sa what you think about me...

Regards,
Bob

Well Bob, you never stated to call RIM, you merely implied that I never did call, even though I already told you I had. Based on your contemptible comments I called again, and got the same results. So my opinion of you still stands.

dev
02-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Well...that wasn't the answer I was hoping to gt back. OK....lets start from scratch.
Shut down the new BES server. Set all the BES services to manual. Ensure that the other BES server (old BES) is shutdown entirely (disable the NIC card if possible).
Reboot the box with the new BES server, login and test the MAPI profile. Check the Event viewer for any errors related to any of the "normal" server services. If all's clear, then manually start the BES services one at a time from the services applet.
It's ok to proceed in the same order that they are listed in the Services applet. It may not be necessary to start the Database consistency service. After all services have started, have a look at the event viewer for errors with the Dispatcher or Exchange connector. Launch the BM console and view the status of the BES server icon.
Ledt me know how that goes.....

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Well Bob, you never stated to call RIM, you merely implied that I never did call, even though I already told you I had. Based on your contemptible comments I called again, and got the same results. So my opinion of you still stands.

Even if I, or someone else, is completely wrong. We are here all to try to help eachother. And my english is not that good, but even with that in mind I try to help everyone. Even people who talk like you about me...

I really hope that you can fix your problem and that you tell it what it was...

Regards,
Bob

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Even if I, or someone else, is completely wrong. We are here all to try to help eachother. And my english is not that good, but even with that in mind I try to help everyone. Even people who talk like you about me...

I really hope that you can fix your problem and that you tell it what it was...

Regards,
Bob

Bob, I appreciate that you are trying to help, but when someone answers your question you need to take them at their word, not claim that the person didn't listen to your advice. When you said I didn't contact RIM you not only made a poor assumption, you also called me a liar since I already stated that I did. That being said, this forum is not the place for these discussions. I sent you private messages which you clearly ignored, and instead decided to post on the forum here. Let's get back to the issue at hand, and start fresh. I would greatly appreciate any meaningful input you can give me to resolve this issue. Thanks Bob.

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Dev, I cannot shut the server down now since it is used for other functions, but I will later this evening. I will post tonight or tomorrow with the outcome.

Thanks,

E-

dev
02-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey eBuddha...if my original suggestions don't work, then I think you may have to look at your firewall settings. Is your firewall configured to only allow "stateful" traffic from the old BES server? Meaning..is it configured to the IP address of the old BES server? If RIM hasn't blocked the connection, and the old BES can start without a problem...then let's look at the new BES configuration and how it's connected within your current network.
Just a thought...

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 06:08 PM
For what other functions do you use the server also? Is there maybe a conflict in tcp/ip ports?

Regards,
Bob

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
I am able to connect to RIM just fine from the new server. Here is thr output from BBSRPTest

NetworkAccessNode is srp.na.blackberry.net.
Attempting to connect to srp.na.blackberry.net (204.187.87.33), port 3101
Sending test packet
Waiting for response
Receiving response
Checking response
Successful

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Are all required services running? Special NT LAN Manager (NTLM) Security Support Provider is sometimes disabled.

The following Microsoft Windows services are required to run the BlackBerry Enterprise Server:

* Event Log
* NT LAN Manager (NTLM) Security Support Provider
* Windows Time service
* Workstation

Regards,
Bob

eBuddha
02-13-2006, 07:06 PM
We may be getting to something here. This could be a Java issue:

The description for Event ID ( 15000 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Mobile Data Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: <2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, java.io.EOFException
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at rimmir.mirrim.mir.xzwy.zXZW(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at rimmir.mirrim.mir.zvww.read(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at rimmir.mirrim.mir.yzyx.z$zz(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at rimmir.mirrim.mir.yzyx.<init>(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at rimmir.mirrim.mir.vvvv.xxXW(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at rimmir.mirrim.mir.xwx.run(Unknown Source)
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<java.io.EOFException>
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<at rimmir.mirrim.mir.xzwy.zXZW(Unknown Source)>
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<at rimmir.mirrim.mir.zvww.read(Unknown Source)>
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)>
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(Unknown Source)>
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<at rimmir.mirrim.mir.yzyx.z$zz(Unknown Source)>
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<at rimmir.mirrim.mir.yzyx.<init>(Unknown Source)>
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<at rimmir.mirrim.mir.vvvv.xxXW(Unknown Source)>
<2006-02-13 18:04:53.122 CST>:[942]:<MDS_BLACKBERRY>:<ERROR>:<at rimmir.mirrim.mir.xwx.run(Unknown Source)>

BlackBerryLinks
02-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Support - java.io.eof exception warning
Last Updated: 12 December 2005
Article Number: KB-03777

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
This article applies to the following:

BlackBerry Enterprise Server® 3.6 and 4.0
BlackBerry® Mobile Data Service
Microsoft® Exchange
Java™ Runtime Environment
Microsoft Windows®

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem
When you start the Mobile Data Service, you receive the following error:

MDS SRP Identifier, lost connection due to java.io.eof exception

You also see the following in the event log:

<2004-10-05 10:53:11 GMT - 07:00>:[36]:<MDS_SRPAPP29_SRV2>:<EVENT>: <LAYER = SCM, EVENT = MDS lost connection to the BES: S1666139 due to java.io.EOFException>

Cause 1
There is more than one version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.4.1_02 running on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Resolution
Remove all instances of JRE, and install JRE 1.4.1_02.

Uninstall all JRE software from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
In the Add/Remove Programs window, select each JRE software version and click Remove.
Restart the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
After all versions of JRE are uninstalled, download and install the latest version of JRE from the Sun Microsystems™ Java web site.

Cause 2
Multiple instances of BlackBerry Enterprise Server 3.6 have the same SRPuid listed in the MDSConfig table of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server database, even though the Service Routing Protocol (SRP) Authentication values are correct in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management console. You may also see the following in the event log and the BlackBerry Enterprise Server debug log:

[20243] (12/02 00:00:06):{0xD08} [SRP] Authentication failed for S102807,IPPP

Resolution
Enter the correct SRPuid for each instance of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server in the MDSConfig table of the database. Make sure the SRP Authentication values in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management console are correct.

gazza
02-14-2006, 03:58 AM
as the server is running, sometimes you find that just restarting the Blackberry Dispatcher service can just kick the SRP connection into touch, sounds simple but try restarting the Blackberry Dispatcher

eBuddha
02-14-2006, 10:18 AM
OK, Bob I think you may also be on to something with the port conflict. I took dev's suggestion and slowly started each BB service, and the BB Router service fails complaining that port 4101 is in use. I have tracked the application down to controld.exe which is software for a our firewall. I will let you know the outcome in a few moments....

eBuddha
02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
All right guys, we are cooking! Thanks Dev and Bob, both of you were on the money. I found the erroring service by using Dev's methods, and Bob was right about the port conflict.

Just as an FYI, on Windows 2000 you cannot see the owning PID using netstat like you can in XP/2003 so I had to download Active Ports 1.4 from download.com. From there I found the offending process, killed it, rebooted, and all was good.

Thanks a million!

dev
02-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Excellent eBuddha..glad to have helped.

BlackBerryLinks
02-14-2006, 10:59 AM
eBuddha,

Happy that it works now. Port 4101 is used by the BlackBerry router for least routing. The handheld manager can rout directly to the router when the BlackBerry is connected. See "Placing the router in the DMZ". You can change that port, if you don't use that. Also this was not supported by BES 3.x

Regards,
Bob

BlackBerryLinks
02-14-2006, 11:04 AM
eBuddha,

Just for learning. What Firewall (and software) is used, because this can happend for everyone...

Regards,
Bob

eBuddha
02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
It is the log monitoring service for Watchguard. We are just going to move this service to another PC.

Thanks,

E-