PDA

View Full Version : bb10 browser - force larger text size?

nobody7290
02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
I have the Z10 since a few hours, and I really like many of its features. The keyboard is difficult to use, but I hope it is possible to learn how to use it.

But the browser is painful to use.
Take this forum as an example:
Use the mobile view:
I see the whole page, but until I am actually able to read something, I have to zoom, then move the zoomed part to an area of interest. Takes forever, compared to the 9700 with OS5.
Reading mode does not work with the mobile view.

If I set the browser to desktop, again, I am only able to see a picture of site, with the same problems as in mobile mode. Here I can switch to the reader mode of the browser, but, every link I click in reader mode will again switch back the browser to the normal view.

I tried to change the default browser font, but since the forum uses css, and the browser obeys it, that obviously does not change anything. Changing the system font also will not work.

This would be easy to fix, if I could tell the browser to use a custom style sheet and ignore the stylesheet of the website.

Anyone knows if this is possible?

Also, someone forgot about cursor movement keys. I am able to position the cursor using the touch screen, but navigating afterwards is not possible.

NJBlackBerry
02-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Not possible.
:-(

nobody7290
02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
With Safari/webKit, this this is possible. So it should be possible
This problem exists since OS6 on Blackberry OS.

nobody7290
02-07-2013, 05:17 AM
To show the resulting text size on the Z10 vs the 9700, I have made 4 screenshots:
mobile browser mode Z10, 9700
Desktop browser mode Z10, 9700
I have rendered the screenshots to a 96ppi resolution, which will on my screen display then in the correct size for both Devices. Then put the screenshots side by side together.
If you have a screen with a different resolution, it might display the wrong size.

To me it looks, that the resulting font size on the 9700 is much larger, and therefore much better to read. Actually it can be read, which is not the case with the Z10 (unless I zoom and drag). On the 9700 I dont have to zoom, the only thing I have to do is to scroll up and down, which also makes it easier not to loose track where I am on the page. On the Z10 If I zoom, I have to drag up and down and right to left to get to the area I want to read.

I really dont have anything against a high resolution screen. I love it. But, What the f*** is a high resolution screen for, if it only displays some picture instead of readable text ?

This really would be easy to fix. Just insert a custom stylesheet which doubles the text size using mm instead of pixels.

rambo47
02-07-2013, 08:29 PM
This is a common complaint with BB10 and currently there is no option to force larger text. Perhaps in a future update we will see it added, but right now you're stuck with the default. Deal breaker for me.

steakman
02-19-2013, 09:56 PM
With P***Poor eyesight, it is a deal breaker for me as well. I will stick with my 9900 for now. Almost seems like they didn't really think it was going to be us 40, 50, 60+ types that would be buying or want to buy but we are still the majority in the business world.

Poorly thought through IMO.

NJBlackBerry
02-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Maybe Alicia Keys has 20/20 eyesight and that was their test case.
VERY poorly executed.